Interview - Address Your Shortcomings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanIHazDopamine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attention: people who talked about their "meh" grades during the interview

Does addressing your shortcomings in the interview come off like you are just making excuses for yourself? I feel like it would just sound like I was whining about how hard my life was, how hard college was, and why my personal situation made me get bad grades. Too much sports/ECs/lack of focus, blah, blah blah. I know people have done amazing in college and have the entire applicant package, but that just didn't work out for me. How did you guys explain this to your interviewers without coming off as a bi***?

Members don't see this ad.

Does addressing your shortcomings in the interview come off like you are just making excuses for yourself? I feel like it would just sound like I was whining about how hard my life was, how hard college was, and why my personal situation made me get bad grades. Too much sports/ECs/lack of focus, blah, blah blah. I know people have done amazing in college and have the entire applicant package, but that just didn't work out for me. How did you guys explain this to your interviewers without coming off as a bi***?

Only if they ask you....if a school wants to interview you, especially if early in the cycle, then they want to hear about you, not your grades. They've already seen your grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
This. Never bring shortcomings up on your own. However, be prepared to have something of substance to say if they do bring it up (explain a strong upward trend in grades if applicable, etc.)

I'm just going to emphasize again. DO NOT bring it up on your own. Wait until you are asked.

But do prepare a response in case it comes up. It's important not to sound like whining. It is much better to come up with a response that also accepts responsibility and has some sort of plan to ensure it doesn't happen again in med school.

If the school is interviewing you, they are willing to overlook some blemishes. Don't make it worse by bringing it up or sounding like you aren't at fault at all for your grades.

If they do ask, own up to whatever you think you sucked at. Include how you realized why you messed up and what you know better for future similar occurrences.

There's 'good enough' for a well-rounded, enjoyable college experience, and 'good enough for med school'. The two are clearly not the same! And when you realized that your 'good enough for most purposes' wasn't going to be 'good enough for med school', you ramped up your efforts so you could achieve your goal.

That's really about it, right?

If they do ask, own up to whatever you think you sucked at. Include how you realized why you messed up and what you know better for future similar occurrences.

I may not be a med school whiz but I certainly have been on tons of interviews and most of the time if I get an interview, I get the job.

Here's what I do:

1. List weakness and state how you messed up.
2. Outline specific, measurable steps you've taken to remedy the issue.
3. Outline your more recent achievements and proof that you have overcome the weakness as much as possible.

Works every time.

I may not be a med school whiz but I certainly have been on tons of interviews and most of the time if I get an interview, I get the job.

Here's what I do:

1. List weakness and state how you messed up.
2. Outline specific, measurable steps you've taken to remedy the issue.
3. Outline your more recent achievements and proof that you have overcome the weakness as much as possible.

Works every time.

I just want to emphasize that medical school interviews can be very different from real world interviews, especially with the move toward the MMI. I'm not saying your approach is wrong, in fact, it's a good approach. But I also had your mentality (the whole, "every time I go on an interview I land the job, so I'm set!") when I first got started on the interview trail, and yes, this was the same scenario at 1 of my 7 interviews, but all the others were just vastly different (both in questions asked and the feel of the interview). I would just prepare for that.

I just want to emphasize that medical school interviews can be very different from real world interviews, especially with the move toward the MMI. I'm not saying your approach is wrong, in fact, it's a good approach. But I also had your mentality (the whole, "every time I go on an interview I land the job, so I'm set!") when I first got started on the interview trail, and yes, this was the same scenario at 1 of my 7 interviews, but all the others were just vastly different (both in questions asked and the feel of the interview). I would just prepare for that.

good to know, thanks

Is there a "move" toward the MMI? From what I understand a small handful of schools do these and there's no progressive trends of other schools following suit.

Is there a "move" toward the MMI? From what I understand a small handful of schools do these and there's no progressive trends of other schools following suit.

Sorry, I understand my choice of words made it sound that way. I can definitely see more schools leaning toward this way of interviewing in the future (maybe within the next 10 years), because I honestly think it works well when done properly by the school.What I was trying to say is if you're planning to apply to Cali schools you really should be prepared for the MMI. And we all know Cali is a trend setter so that's why I think things will start to move toward the MMI in the future :p. More seriously, I did come across other deviations from the standard 1-on-1 interview format last year (i.e. group panel) that make me think schools are trying to find other ways of testing applicants' mettle.