Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B0wMNj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, its my first time applying to dental school and I have no idea what to expect while at the interview, like many of us on this forum. I have done a decent amount of research on the interview section of this forum and just in general, I have watched some videos of sample interviews and things of that nature.

People usually say "be yourself", "it was more of a conversation" and that the stress level was low. I'm a pretty friendly guy and I like to smile and talk from the heart. Many of the sample interview videos show the interviewee as if every question had been rehearsed and they don't smile and they just don't seem like how normal people would talk, its like a robot.

So, the real question is, is this what is expected of us, or do we just talk to the interviewer like we do with our friends or professors?

Members don't see this ad.

So, its my first time applying to dental school and I have no idea what to expect while at the interview, like many of us on this forum. I have done a decent amount of research on the interview section of this forum and just in general, I have watched some videos of sample interviews and things of that nature.

People usually say "be yourself", "it was more of a conversation" and that the stress level was low. I'm a pretty friendly guy and I like to smile and talk from the heart. Many of the sample interview videos show the interviewee as if every question had been rehearsed and they don't smile and they just don't seem like how normal people would talk, its like a robot.

So, the real question is, is this what is expected of us, or do we just talk to the interviewer like we do with our friends or professors?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a pretty friendly guy and I like to smile and talk from the heart.

From this I can tell you that you will do well at an interview. Don't be nervous. From my experience it is usually just a conversation that can go almost anywhere. When conversation lulls the interview may ask you a "interview" questions. By "interview" questions I mean like the common questions like why dentistry, strengths, weaknesses, challenges, ethical decision, etc. Some interviews I have had are conversations but by the end of it the interviewer had to ask certain questions that he wrote down your response to. Other interviews the interviewer asked/talked about anything he wanted.

My suggestion is to prepare for the common question. I'm not saying write out your responses and memorize them, but I would suggest that you jot down some bullet points of what you want to say for a certain question. I believe a genuine response is looked at more favorably than something you memorized and recite.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

Gonna bump this with a question for all those who had interviews this cycle...

How did you handle interviews with schools that were either safety options or just low on your list? How often did you get questions about why you applied to this school, or what you like about this school, or do you really want to come here, etc....?

I ask because I'll be applying next cycle with good stats and I can't imagine not running into this awkward situation. I don't like to BS people, but I guess this is just a situation where you have to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna BUMP this with a question for all those who had interviews this cycle...

How did you handle interviews with schools that were either safety options or just low on your list? How often did you get questions about why you applied to this school, or what you like about this school, or do you really want to come here, etc....?

I ask because I'll be applying next cycle with good stats and I can't imagine not running into this awkward situation. I don't like to BS people, but I guess this is just a situation where you have to?
Being asked "why this school" is a very frequent question that's asked. My best advice I can give you is to prepare yourself by looking at the school's website before the interview so you know things about their program. What they focus on, curriculum, volunteer work, etc. That's all I did because if I did extra preparation, I sounded like a robot. However, some people are different and have to prepare. Do a mock interview and see how you interview and what you need to do to better yourself.

You will have to treat every interview as if it's one of your top choices even though it's not. I didn't do this with one of my interviews and it was one of my worst interviews I have done. Having the mindset that you could see yourself attending that school will improve your performance IMO. If interviewers don't see you have interest in that school's program, it's pretty much an automatic rejection so definitely show interest by knowing things about their program, which is why it's important to browse their website the week leading up to the interview. Interviews are typically used to see if you're a good fit with their school so definitely make sure you don't seem like you don't want to go there by knowing nothing about the school. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Being asked "why this school" is a very frequent question that's asked. My best advice I can give you is to prepare yourself by looking at the school's website before the interview so you know things about their program. What they focus on, curriculum, volunteer work, etc. That's all I did because if I did extra preparation, I sounded like a robot. However, some people are different and have to prepare. Do a mock interview and see how you interview and what you need to do to better yourself.

You will have to treat every interview as if it's one of your top choices even though it's not. I didn't do this with one of my interviews and it was one of my worst interviews I have done. Having the mindset that you could see yourself attending that school will improve your performance IMO. If interviewers don't see you have interest in that school's program, it's pretty much an automatic rejection so definitely show interest by knowing things about their program, which is why it's important to browse their website the week leading up to the interview. Interviews are typically used to see if you're a good fit with their school so definitely make sure you don't seem like you don't want to go there by knowing nothing about the school. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me any other questions!

I see. It all makes sense, but it's funny---dental schools want monogamy from you while they've got suitors lined up out the door :)

Did you have many schools ask where else you applied? And if so, did they ever get pointed about which ones you'd rather attend?

Yeah it is quite funny looking back on it lol! I got it asked twice out of the 4 interviews I had pre-december, and for one of those interviews they even asked which ones I interview at. For that interview they also kept on bringing up the other schools I said I applied to and kept saying "oh that's a good option and a really good program to go to". It was evident that she was trying to break me down and see if I wanted to go to their school over the others. Only some schools do this though IMO, but just keep strong and convince them that their school is among your top choices haha.

Reactions: 1 user
1. So tellme a little about yourself.
2. Why do you want to be a dentist?
4. What differentiates you from the rest of the applicants?
5. I like you and this all sounds great, but what can I go back and tell the admissions committee that will convince them that we want you in our upcoming class
6. Why did you apply to our Dental school (+ what other schools)
9. What type of dental program are you interested in?
10. Can you explain the (A-F) grade you received in this class? OR Your grades slipped in particular semester, any reason?
12. In the past, what has happened to you that has made the biggest impact on your life?
13. We noticed you withdrew from a class, why?
14. Dentists require a great deal of hand coordination. Do you have any relevant experience?
15. Do you think the role of a Dentist has changed, and how so?
16. How did your friends/family react to your interest in Dentistry?
18. Do you have any plans after graduation?
19. What would make you happy 10 years from now?
20. If you had to change anything aboutyourself, what would it be?
21. How do you spend your free time? OR What do you do to relax?
What would you say was the best day or experience you ever had?
How do you see yourself, what are your good characteristics?
If you could meet anybody, in all of history, and eat dinner with them, who would it be?
What do you do when you are stressed out?
What are things you dont like about dentistry?
Is ____ your first choice?
Why, other than wanting to help people, do you want to be a dentist?
What is your biggest strength and weakness?
Have you been involved in any ethical situations?
Tell me what you think would be a negative factor if you attended ____?
What was the biggest challenge you've experienced recently?
What would you do if you could not go to dental school?
What is an important quality that a dentist should have?
What do I need to know about you that is important?
What is your greatest failure?
What is your most effective study style?
Why should we accept you over someone with similar or better credentials?
do you like to study in group?

+ research the school.

My dental school interviews were actually my first interviews period. I actually wrote down the answer for each question and would read it every few days and the morning of my interview. After every interview I would add/revise my list and even my answers. Obviously I'm not going to memorize each answer, but it helps get your mindset in the right place and it helps you keep track of points you want to make. Know about the school, do your research and dress well. One you finish your first interview, you'll be fine after that.

Gonna BUMP this with a question for all those who had interviews this cycle...

No school is a safety school. Application cycles can be a real crap shoot sometimes, theres no guarantee. Apply to schools you're interested in and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users