Interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay.. Now that I actually have an interview, I would love to ask all of you for any advice.. from mock interviews down to the best color suit to wear.. If you have any advice, please send it my way! All comments are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

SD congrats on the interview, which school is it? It certainly is promising that you have an interview this early in the process. I would suggest that you write down a dozen or so of the obvious questions which will be asked (i.e. why do you want to be a physician, why osteopathic medicine, your strongest/weakest qualities, what will you do if not accepted into med school, etc..). Then think about your responses to those questions, but do not memorize your answers or you risk giving robotic responses. Be honest in your responses & keep in mind there are no exactly correct answers. The interview is an opportunity for the school to get to know you, & for you to get to know the school. As for as what to wear, be well-groomed and wear a conservative suit (assuming you are a male). The interview is also a good oppourtunity for you to learn more about the school. I would definitley read as much background information about the school as possible. One of the likely questions is why you applied to the particular school.
"www.interviewfeedback.com" also is a resource that may help you prepare for the interview. Good luck, & have self-confidence!

Thanks Almasque.. I'm working on the self-confidence and thinking about possible questions. I am a female, but I'm still thinking I should wear a suit, though one with a skirt...
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
SD,
I agree with almasque in that the interview is a chance for schools to see you as a person, rather than a set of numbers. Remember to formulate some substantial questions for your interviewers, as you are also interviewing the school. A great resource for previously asked questions (broken down by school) can be found at the following web address:

http://ww2.med.jhu.edu/meded_feedback/
cgi-bin/w3-msql.cgi/meded_feedback/meded/
browse.html

It's a long address, but well worth it. Good luck!

SD,

Congrats again. I just would like to reitterate a few previous comments. I had to go through the interview process twice, so I think I have some valuable input. First, you must schmooze during the interview. You must explain your goals, history, and attitudes as congenially as possible. There's no way around that (duh), but don't lose sight of the schmooze factor when everyone else tells you to "just relax." Ironically, the second thing I'd like to say is "just relax." You only have to schmooze when you are being interviewed directly. Remember, interviews are commonly a big event, with lots of activities. When you are not being interviewed, make every effort possible to take note of a couple key issues which I will list:

1. Are students happy here? I can't stress how important that is. If the students you talk to (and you must talk to them!!) are unhappy or apathetic about their school, then chances are that your future classmates will be also. There are a lot of factors that go into making a happy med student. Figure out what makes current students happy and ask yourself how it relates to your situation. Is this a school that ranked high on current students lists of schools they wanted to get into when they were an applicant?

2. Are faculty happy to be here? Dire consequences for students of faculty who have a bad attitude.

3. BOARD SCORES! Vitually everone who gets through the first 2 years of school passes boards at some point. But how far above the passing point the average was is something of concern (if you're motivated to excel). You think your life is easy after the MCAT?

4. Does the locale suit me?

5. Am I comfortable with the curriculum? This is a tough one to assess as a premed, but I suggest you learn more about the different approaches to teaching medicine (i.e. contrast UOM to the new KCOM brainchild) If you get in, the teaching methods will become your life for at least 2 years. Again talk to students and faculty.

I hope this has been helpful for you and anyone else who is starting to stress the upcoming interviews. Good luck and remember that it is the school's job to sell itself to you as much as it is your job to sell yourself to the school.

Brad