Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hobiecat1642

U of M c/o 2012!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else really freaked out about interviews? I've got one U.S school interview so far, so I'm feeling pressured. I've been preparing, but any advice about what to do, or what not to do, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone else as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Read over your own application and any supplemental application, taking special care to recall what you told them about yourself in your personal statement and any essays. Unless it is strictly a closed file, behavioral interview, they WILL ask you questions relevant to your personal statement, so be prepared to back up an interest in say, food animal medicine, with some actual knowledge of what that entails.

Otherwise, read up on the CDC "hot list"of zoonotic diseases, be aware of what is going on in the world around you (more than a few of my classmates were asked about current events that had nothing to do with veterinary medicine), and peruse the school's own web site to get sense of who they think they are, what issues they care about, etc.

But mostly, get a good night's rest, eat a healthy breakfast with protein, and do your best to relax. They are already interested in you. Just be yourself, present yourself professionally, make eye contact, and smile. Consider your answers carefully before you respond. It's ok to say, "I don't know, that's a good question."

Does that help?

GREAT ADVICE, critterfix!!! I'll have to agree. However, don't worry yourself with every detail of every current event, etc. Don't spend the next week 'studying' for your interview. Remember to review the vet school info, too. I brought in a small folder with some questions I pre prepared for the interviewers. People love to hear themselves talk so at the end of the interview I asked them a few things. I also had in the folder a piece of paper with vet school info (when they started, basic school history, etc).
and remember.. RELAX!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What kinds of questions do people usually ask about the schools? I'm having a hard time coming up with a couple!

The other thing you might want to do if you are in undergrad or have one near by is going to career services and do a mock interview. It won't really be a vet school interview but it's nice to have something under your belt.

As far as questions I looked around the websites and asked any questions I had about the curriculum. And specific things about my interests (behavior). A useful question that I asked at a few places was what do you feel at the strengths and weaknesses of this school.

Thanks for the great advice, critterfixer!

A useful question that I asked at a few places was what do you feel at the strengths and weaknesses of this school.

I asked this one at my interview last weekend. The answer to the strengths question was stuff I had already heard, but the answer to the weakness question was really interesting and thought provoking.

(A side note, though...I felt a tiny bit awkward asking the weakness question. I'm really glad I did, but it's a little odd to turn it around on them!)

Ask a question about something that makes the school unique. Something they are proud of. e.g. "So, I hear that alternative medicine is very popular at XXX, do you think that is true?" or "I see you guys have a DVM/PHd or DVM/MPH program, can you tell me a little about that?" or "You seem to have student chapters in a lot of professional societies, do you think your school is well-connected in that regard?" or "I have heard your teaching hospital has a particularly high rate of large animal field work, is that true?".......

These are all great responses, thank you very much for the advice.

What does everyone think about sending a thank you note after the interview? I know a lot of job interview experts advise it, and I was wondering if you think it applies to school interviews too. Has anyone sent one in the past?

What does everyone think about sending a thank you note after the interview? I know a lot of job interview experts advise it, and I was wondering if you think it applies to school interviews too. Has anyone sent one in the past?

We an entire thread on thank you notes where we agreed to disagree. About half sent them and about half didn't. I'm not going to re-open that can of worms. Do what you think is right.

one of the questions I asked pertained to case load and availability of surgical experience while in school. I also asked about preceptorship competition and choice. I think the best thing to do is ask questions that show your interest in their program specifically.

Anyone with specific advice for behavioral interviews? (Especially if you have any comments you want to weigh in with before my behavioral interview tomorrow in the later morning.:D)

VAgirl- don't forget to let your sense of humor show. We all had a few good laughs in my interview and it seemed to really lighten things up. At the pizza mixer thing afterward, a lot of the second years said they were told how important a sense of humor was and that admissions like to know you can laugh!