interview after dec 1st

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildrice

Army Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i was wondering if any of you had an opinion on whether getting an interview after dec 1st could put an applicant, such as myself, at a disadvantage when applying to school.

i ask because i have an interview at columbia on the 4th of december, and all of my other ones are currently before the 1st-
BU- 10/9/09*
NYU- 10/23/09
Buffalo- 11/20/09
yet to reply - penn, temple, stonybrook

BU couldnt give me any answers so i was curious to see what guys thought. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had 4 interviews before December, resulting in 2 acceptances. I had 1 more interview in January, (VCU), which is where I am now. No disadvantage IMO.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The usual consensus here is that a pre-dec interview leads to better chances of acceptance.

What i understand is that if you are pre-December you are competing for all 80 or whatever spots that the school has to offer. If you interview after December 1st some of the seats have already been given out, so now everyone that interviews is competing for maybe 30% of the spots that were available.
However, we have all seen kids on SDN that have gotten accepted to multiple schools off of post December interviews. Just remember, if they are interviewing you it is because they have a seat and they want to know if you can fill it.

The usual consensus here is that a pre-dec interview leads to better chances of acceptance.

Depends on the school. I imagine that is true for the majority of private schools, but I know some public schools don't attempt to fill up all the seats before December. They interview several batches and only offer the MOST qualified kinds spots so they have to make a choice sooner (because they will most likely be accepted elsewhere). Those who are not offered spots will be re-evaluated with the most recent post dec. interviewees during the next adcom meeting. And this process plays out until April, for some schools at least.

agree, depends on the school. Generally if the overall admission rate is 50 % for the school, before Dec 1 it will be a 75% and Feb- March it will be 25%.
Many schools have pretty good idea who do they want to admit. Many schools send out acceptances number for number of their seats on Dec 1. So potentially school could be filled Dec 1.

hi guys, i was wondering if any of you had an opinion on whether getting an interview after dec 1st could put an applicant, such as myself, at a disadvantage when applying to school.

BU couldnt give me any answers so i was curious to see what guys thought. thanks
regarding BU if we look at predents 2009 cycle
interviewed pre Dec 45-accepted 31
interviewed post Dec 88- accepted 24
while it is only self reported predents and numbers are skewed towards certain group of applicants you can see a trend going....