interview an audiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking an Audiology class and I need to interview a person who works or has worked with children with hearing loss.You can leave your responses or email me directly at [email protected] If you would like me to call you and ask the questions I can do that also. Thanks in advance for your help! Here are the questions...

1. What is your role in working with children with hearing loss, or more specifically, what are your duties that involve children with hearing loss?
2. When you work with children who have hearing loss, what are the two or three consequences or effects of the hearing loss that you think have the biggest impact on the child's life?
3. Do you think that children with hearing loss are being adequately served in the area where you work?
4. What kinds of things would you like to see happen differently for children with hearing loss where you work?
5. If you are familiar with the speech and language services that children with hearing loss receive in your school or community, do you think that these services are meeting the needs of the students? Why do you think this?
6. If you are aware of the hearing related services that children with hearing loss are receiving in the schools or community where you are, do you think that these services are meeting the needs of the students? Why do you think this?
7. Do you have anything that you would like to see done differently by people who work with kids with hearing loss?(e.g. programs, funding, devices, etc..)

Members don't see this ad.

Also if anyone knows someone who works with hearing impaired or deaf children and wouldn't mind doing this quick interview, plese let me know. Thanks :)

.What is your role in working with children with hearing loss, or more specifically, what are your duties that involve children with hearing loss? I am an audiologist who works for a cochlear implant center of a major hospital in the South. I am involved in assessing the hearing status of the children, determining whether a hearing aid or cochlear implant would be more beneficial for that particular child, family and hearing loss. I attend the implantation in order to assess the function of the device at time of insertion. I program the cochlear implant in order to give the child the best access to the speech spectrum.
.When you work with children who have hearing loss, what are the two or three consequences or effects of the hearing loss that you think have the biggest impact on the child’s life? All of the children that I work with have some form of hearing loss. Typically we can assess and implant children far earlier at this point, so I see minimal effects when they go through the appropriate therapy. For those children that are unable to obtain implantation early enough, I see communication as their biggest challenge. With the difficulty in communication there can be behavioral problems associated as the children are unable to understand others, present their own needs, and express themselves accurately. This may lead to frustration and acting out. .
Do you think that children with hearing loss are being adequately served in the area where you work? The children in my area are very thoroughly served. We have approximately 20 pediatric audiologists who work in different areas of the hospital to ensure that all the needs are met. We also work with a fabulous team of approximately 40 speech therapists. .
What kinds of things would you like to see happen differently for children with hearing loss where you work? I think that our team and overall program are very well organized and efficient. I would say that throughout the country we need to continue to try to identify children with hearing loss as early as possible and provide them with whichever means of device will help them most effectively. .
If you are familiar with the speech and language services that children with hearing loss receive in your school or community, do you think that these services are meeting the needs of the students? Why do you think this? The school community is very aware of the hearing losses of their students and they go out of their way to provide the services needed in order to provide their students with every advantage. .
Do you have anything that you would like to see done differently by people who work with kids with hearing loss?(e.g. programs, funding, devices, etc..) Pediatric audiologists provide a very important service and unfortunately are typically among the lowest paid audiologists. I would like to see the work of pediatric audiologists more highly valued. And of course every program will always take additional funding to extend the services we are able to provide. .
I hope this helps! :luck:.

Thank you so much for your response, it is greatly appreciated. :)