interview and study abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redrabbit

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am planning to study abroad the fall of my senior year. THis will also be the year that i will be applying to dental school. I just just curious as to when interviews starts for most school. Will I be at a disadvantage is i hold my interview till the winter quarter (in jan).

Members don't see this ad.

redrabbit said:
Hi, i am planning to study abroad the fall of my senior year. THis will also be the year that i will be applying to dental school. I just just curious as to when interviews starts for most school. Will I be at a disadvantage is i hold my interview till the winter quarter (in jan).

i think it is a very bad idea to go abroad during app.
usually most of the stuff comes in the mail such as secondaries, interview invitation, etc

any other opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
redrabbit said:
I don't think it's a good idea also.To chose a sclool near by will do good to you !

redrabbit said:

I highly recommend studying abroad, but as the others have pointed out, it wouldn't be wise to do it while you are applying to dental school. Schools will start to send you things in late summer/fall, you'll have interviews to attend (which means you'll be spending big bucks to fly back to the states, and chances are you won't be able to coordinate interview dates), and while you'll probably be connected to the rest of the world via internet your host country may have a terrible mail system (unless you are going to Germany, in which case they are more efficient and timely than the U.S.). I advise against it. I think you would be fine doing it in the spring, though.

what if i apply early? does interviewing late affect my chance? I was thinking about doing to demark. Wouldn't the dental schools think that this was a great experince? I really want to study abroad but i don't what it to hurt my chance of getting in. I am looking at UOP.

redrabbit said:
what if i apply early? does interviewing late affect my chance? I was thinking about doing to demark. Wouldn't the dental schools think that this was a great experince? I really want to study abroad but i don't what it to hurt my chance of getting in. I am looking at UOP.

Studying abroad is a great experience, believe me, but it will not be feasible and I doubt it will significantly enhance your application. Even if you apply early dental schools will still start interviewing in mid-August and early fall - the same time you will be in Europe. Some dental schools allow you to pick from a list of interview dates while some merely state 'this is your date and time' and if you can't make it rescheduling can be a real nightmare. The interview is a very important aspect of the whole process. Most schools want you physically before them so that they can evaluate you and gauge your character. Are you willing to pay round trip airfare to and from Copenhagen several times? - it's a long flight and very expensive. More importantly how will your program handle any absences (most of them have strict attendance policies)? They might not be as forgiving as you might think. Even if you apply early dental schools will still start interviewing in mid-August at the very soonest and most begin in earnest in early fall (September and October). My advice is to hold off on the whole abroad thing during the fall. Dance with the dental school admissions gorilla, get it out of the way, then go off in the spring. Another thing to consider is that you will be stressed out for the first few weeks - no matter how similar it seems to America. You'll think the natives are insane, you'll crave English, the food will be something else (especially if you go to Denmark), nothing is as it should be, and you'll want to get on the next plane for home. Don't throw dental school applications into the mix - you might just bite off more than you can chew. Trust me, Scandinavia and northern Europe in the winter is not choice anyway and springtime is much better. Best of luck! :)