Interview Appropriate Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kittylove13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interview season is starting and I am at a loss on what to wear. I've tried on pant suits, but they do not suit my body well. I like dress and skirt suits, but to wear all black makes me look like im going to a funeral. Would a maroon dress with black trimming and a black suit jacket be appropriate? Or would that stand out too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171207-133814.png
    Screenshot_20171207-133814.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 155
I’m a male so it’s not quite apples to apples but I was definitely the flashiest dresser. Didn’t keep me from getting accepted so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I saw multiple outfits similar to that during my interviews. Just make sure you wear the black suit jacket with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 5'10 so I feel your pain. I wore a dress suit and i felt like a doctor (and looked like one). JCPenney online was great. My blazer and dress was $65 total.

I'm 5'10 so I feel your pain. I wore a dress suit and i felt like a doctor (and looked like one). JCPenney online was great. My blazer and dress was $65 total.

See I'm only 5'1 and pant suits look like im drowning in material or running for political office. Thank you everyone for the help!

Really digging the dress! Should look great with a suit jacket.

My interview season is starting and I am at a loss on what to wear. I've tried on pant suits, but they do not suit my body well. I like dress and skirt suits, but to wear all black makes me look like im going to a funeral. Would a maroon dress with black trimming and a black suit jacket be appropriate? Or would that stand out too much?

@Kittylove13 ... if you search SDN, you will find a whole thread on women’s interview attire. Some, like LizzyM regularly comment and advise (also @gyngyn @Winged Scapula @DokterMom) There is also plenty of advice for height and size issues. Briefly though... (and following up on what LizzyM said)...no keyholes (or standout patterns, the dress has to have a matching jacket of the same fabric and the colors should be a neutral (usually dark) shade (refer back to LizzyM). If you have great stats, you can take greater risk with the color. Overall, you want your words/interview performance to be what the adcom remembers... not your cute dress. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As mentioned above there are multiple threads on appropriate attire.

There is nothing wrong with wearing a dress suit but this one is considered “fashion“ and not appropriate for the occasion.

Nor do you have to wear black as suggested above; as a matter of fact black is not considered appropriate for a formal interview either. The best choices are navy or charcoal. In the spring time in the south you can get away with a lighter gray but it’s not as practical.

FWIW, by definition, a suit isn’t anything with a jacket over it. A suit is a match set of jacket with trouser/pants/dress that are made of the same material and are exactly the same color.

Finally, for some it can be hard to buy things off the rack. If you are swimming in fabric with a pantsuit then you need to make sure you’re purchasing things in the petite selection and then having them tailored. Professional clothes off the rack are going to be difficult for you to find so don’t rule out a pant suit because an excellent tailor will do wonders.

That's a lovely dress, and I could see it working well with a black jacket for everyday business wear. But for your interview, a suit would be much better. That could be a similar dress (without the keyhole) and a same-fabric-as-the-trim black jacket.

Keyhole necklines as a rule are sub-optimal, as they tend to be sexy and a bit 'peek-a-boo' so, especially it you're busty, keyhole necklines aren't the best choice. If your body type is less curvy to begin with, you've got a bit more leeway.

@Winged Scapula @DokterMom

Thank you both! I have been searching pages of multiple threads and have learned lot. One question I have not come across (or maybe i missed it) is whether a plaid suit is okay if it's subtle enough.