Interview at Optometry Practice, Any Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently was notified that I am being offered an Interview at a local Optometry practice (yay!) however I have absolutely zero experience in the field of Optometry or Eye Care. I do have some experience as an Admin in a Nephrology office and have a lot of generalized Healthcare experience. They seem willing to train me for the position if I am hired, which is good. To practicing Optometrists; what would you look for in a good Optometry Assistant? I made it clear that I am Pre-Optometry and the HR lady made it sound like the Doctors were the ones who scheduled my interview, otherwise I would be hesitant to ask you fine folks. Any general advice would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I recently was notified that I am being offered an Interview at a local Optometry practice (yay!) however I have absolutely zero experience in the field of Optometry or Eye Care. I do have some experience as an Admin in a Nephrology office and have a lot of generalized Healthcare experience. They seem willing to train me for the position if I am hired, which is good. To practicing Optometrists; what would you look for in a good Optometry Assistant? I made it clear that I am Pre-Optometry and the HR lady made it sound like the Doctors were the ones who scheduled my interview, otherwise I would be hesitant to ask you fine folks. Any general advice would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!

Be nice....show up on time. That's 98% of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Dress to gain trust and command respect. ...
Show up in the office five minutes before your appointment time. ...
Arrive prepared. ...
Select real-life examples that display key hiring traits. ...
Have a conversation.
Study your resume and know everything about it. Research the company and the job position you are applying for

Friendliness is a must. Confidence is fine, but humility is never a bad thing either.

If they know you're pre-opt I can't imagine they are expecting too much out of you since you aren't expecting to be there very long.