Interview at UNTHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RPC2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received an interview yesterday and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the interview process/types of questions that may be asked. My interview is Feb 18th, I better start preparing.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Really? Do you know of anyone else who has gotten interview offers from them? I sent in my app to UNTHSC by November I'm pretty sure. I already have another interview that day so I'm not sure I would have been able to make it anyway.

When I was applying (about 1.5 yrs ago) UNT's program had not yet been accredited. They may have received their accredidation already, I have no idea. I do know that they told any students who were admitted that they ran the risk of getting partway through the program and finding out that they wouldnt be able to get their degree from UNT. I believe that TWU had agreed to accept these students into their program and graduate them as TWU DPT students.

Again, this may all be different now.

And as far as interview conflicts, I dont know any schools around that wont allow you to reschedule an interview to accomodate a previously scheduled one. They know people are dealing with this type of thing during application periods.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming that UNTHSC is the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Campus. If so, I interviewed there back in November. As far as I know they are accredited and that should not be a problem. You can always double check on the PTCAS website by finding the schools profile. It will tell you everything you need to know about their accreditation.

As for the interview, I wouldn't sweat it too much. They set you up in a waiting room and then a student will come grab you when it is your turn. There will be three people conducting the interview. For me it was a student (2nd year), a faculty member, and an outside clinician that helps the program. From there they asked me to tell my story - about myself and how I got interested in PT and why UNTHSC. Then they proceeded to ask me some questions. From what I recall, none of them were difficult. They were more conversational than anything.

Make sure you are prepared to answer a question on Vision 20/20 or at least work it into your answers. They might ask you about current healthcare issues. I used Medicare caps and discussed how it affects the patient, the facility, and the therapist. I emphasized the affect it can have on the quality of care for the patient and their success in rehab.

Beyond that I don't think they ask you sandwich, animal, or any other off the wall questions. It never hurts to be able to articulate your strengths and weaknesses. They didn't ask me, but it is one of the harder questions for people to answer well.

Make sure you have a few questions to ask them, many will come up through conversation. But have a few on stand-by. Try to avoid saying that your reason for PT is that you want to help people. It is a helping people profession so it is looked at as a pre-requisite not a motivating factor (even if it is one). Make sure when you are speaking that you make eye contact and that you remember that there are three people at the table so speak to all of them when you respond.

With all of that said don't be too worried about it. In my experience, if a school invites you to interview they have a strong feeling that they want you. The interview is just to check to make sure you aren't a total waste of space when it comes to interpersonal interactions.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions throw them up and I will try to get back to you before your interview.

Thanks for the advice, however, I was referring to University of North Texas HSC in Fort Worth, Texas. Anyways any advice is good advice.

Thanks again

I interviewed at UNTHSC in early November. I was waitlisted, however, I have since been accepted elsewhere, so all is good :)

The interview at UNTHSC was with either a PT faculty member or a community PT AND a current first year student. They asked the basic questions: why do you want to be a PT? strengths? weaknesses? leadership examples you have, how you deal with stress, etc. It was kind of informal and very conversational and they made you feel welcome and comfortable. The faculty member who interviewed me actually had a bag of grapes on her desk and at one point grabbed a grape and proceeded to talk and ask questions while she held the grape. It was a little weird.

I was really impressed with the campus and the students were very nice. However, I was extremely nervous about them because they are not accredited. They do have a back-up plan that they will explain on interview day, and I do not see them not getting accredited. UNTHSC has very high caliber programs; however, there is always a small chance they won't be accredited.

Just be yourself, and be honest. I do not some people who have been accepted already. So they have filled some spots already (back in Dec/Jan), but we were told in November that the last interview day would be in February and they would not fill up the entire class before the last interview day.

Good luck!! :)

I interviewed with them back in November also and why futurePT says is exactly right. The only thing that I didn't like was is that you didn't get to interview or even meet the faculty during the entire interview process. The big deal with the entire day was asking if and when they will become accredited. I thunk for sure they will become accredited as soon as they can. I got on th waitlist also, but I got accepted to somewhere also. They will ask basic questions and it is very short and laid back. Good luck.

I got into Hardin Simmons and Texas Tech. What about you?

If you had good enough stats to get into UT Southwestern i cant believe you got pu on the alt list at UNTHSC. I'm wondering if we will here something back regarding if we will get accepted of the waiting list?

Thanks! And this entire process has me confused, what do they want in a PT student? I'm just thankful I got in. I also got waitlisted at UTHSCSA and UTMB, so I'm taking it as a sign that I'm supposed to be at UTSW!!

I think my waitlist letter for UNT said we would be notified if we were selected for a spot from the waitlist.