Interview Attire for Men

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philios

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I get flamed, I want to let you know that I did do a search and couldnt find any relevant information pertaining to my question.

That being said, I was wondering what color suits are acceptable for interviews. I have a dark charcoal suit, a grey blazer, and a tan suit, and was wondering if a tan suit was acceptable to wear? According to a guide for a "job interview" you should only wear dark gray/ navy/ charcoal, while mixing up the shirt/tie combo. Also what time of year do the interviews typically take place? That also might have a say in whether or not its acceptable to wear a tan suit.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with a darker suit, since most interviews take place in the fall or winter. I also think tan suits just don't look as professional.

Most interviews take place between mid/late September and early March so tan isn't a good color.

Black seems to be the most popular color with applicants although the admissions office folks tend to joke about it (waiting room looks like a funeral). Blues and grays are fine.

Also see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=44918

Last year someone asked me privately about military uniforms. Those are ok, too, if you are on active duty or in a military academy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a woman, but since this thread seems to be more about color, I'll ask anyway. What about a dark sage green with brown flecks in it? I really love this pants suit, it looks good on me, and it's quietly expensive (if that makes any sense). It's what I'd like to wear, but I'm afraid the color is too different. Also, it's the type where the jacket is the top...there's no shell underneath. Too unusual?

Here is my general guideline for deciding whether a suit is appropriate.

Do you ask yourself "Is this appropriate?".

If you ask yourself that, then just play it safe and go with something else. Out of all the things to worry about, that shouldn't be a huge concern. Simple, elgant, pressed suit. Be well groomed. Little to no fragrances. Clean shaven.(Generally applies to guys..but some girls can use it too). Basic manicures never hurt...but keep it simple. ( Even guys can do the manicure thing....which is kind of hard for me to admit...but the whole hang nail, dirt under the nails, bitten off thing is not great, especially if you are a hands talker.) Let your talk and interview show your personality....not your clothing. As much as people don't think about it, this is essentially a job interview. In fact, you have to jump through less hoops than some job interviews. (Multi-staged ones with screening interviews, on-site interviews, lunches, dinners, sometimes a third interview...)

I'm a woman, but since this thread seems to be more about color, I'll ask anyway. What about a dark sage green with brown flecks in it? I really love this pants suit, it looks good on me, and it's quietly expensive (if that makes any sense). It's what I'd like to wear, but I'm afraid the color is too different. Also, it's the type where the jacket is the top...there's no shell underneath. Too unusual?

There's the key thing: it fits well and you feel good when you wear it.

Adcom interviewers are hungry for color... for the past 8 years it has been black, black, black. I'd love to see someone in something other than black.

And you should see what some of the interviewers wear -- some of the shirt/tie color combinations are a hoot -- and keep in mind that you aren't interviewing for a job with GQ or Vogue.

Simple, elgant, pressed suit. Be well groomed. Little to no fragrances. Clean shaven

For the most part I agree with this poster although the "clean shaven" advice is based on a cultural norm that does not reflect the diversity of the applicant pool so don't get hung up about beards but don't walk in with a two-day growth of beard.

Charcoal or navy for sure, you don't want to look like you are going to a funeral.

This is quite a topic because it goes into how a suit fits you and what is appropriate.

What fits you and wears the best may not be good for business. And what you can wear to the office may make you look like an amateur.

Here are a few pointers. Again this is just my opinion.

1. COLOR: Dark Navy or Black suits look professional and lend you a level of credibility. Pinstripes are in season lately and gray sublte pinstripes may give an air of confidence to an otherwise boring suit. Gray is a cool alternative to black, but I'd stay away from brown.

2. FIT: Dont buy a coat that's too big, or you will look like an amateur.

3. STYLE: Double breasted is nice but a bit too flashy. Keep it conservative.

4. SHIRT: Solid color relatively thick white dress shirts are a good bet. Don't buy a see-thru shirt, it will sink the rest of the suit at first glance. Blue or gray hues are acceptable. Yellow can be standoff-ish IMO because yellow and black combo is threatening in nature. Other light pastels may work, but tone it down with a conservative tie.

5. TIE: Easy to make a mistake here. No hard and fast rule, as I see it, but should complement the suit. I prefer solid colors or solid colors with a light boring pattern overlaid. Should have darker hues with a black suit, gray with gray, and should'nt clash with your shirt. I'm not qualified to speak on ties really, but as long as you dont look like a stop sign, youre ok. here's help http://www.mens-fashion-tips.com/mens-ties.html If in a panic, just pick an older looking dark colored tie and throw it in a half windsor knot. Shows you can improvise.

6. BELT: Any color as long as its black. =) Shiny, solid black with silver buckle. Brown may be substituted if you have a dark gray or brown suit.

7. SHOES: Think of these as rims, and you suit is the car. Wingtips or oxfords in black are the safest bet and also most professional looking. They must be black (or brown to match the belt) and SHINY. Loafers make you look cheap. Square toed shoes can be worn if the rest of the suit is stylish and modern, but they should never detract from the suit, merely highlight your sense of style. I've seen many suits made null and void by ragged dull scrappy shoes. A wide brimmed sole makes them industrial looking and can also sink your suit.

The most important thing however is to wear something that fits you well and makes you feel comfortable. If the suit is wearing you, it will be a distraction for both you and the interviewer.

It should presents you as professional, knowledgeable, and personable so you can get the difficult questions out of the way and start talking about important things .... like golf.

8. WATCH. Bonus section. You could get the Omega Seamaster and go 007 on your interview, but generally a watch with leather band is most appropriate and tasteful choice. Seiko, Fossil, Citizen make excellent quality dress watches. Rolex DateJust or Daydate if you want to bring the bling. Stay away from the Timex and Casio G-shock types.

Most people go with black and navy blue. I had a brown sports jacket and khaki's, all really nice stuff but untraditional. I liked it, and the interviewers did too (they mentioned to me that it's great that I'm not in black or blue). The point is to impress the interviewer with a nice first impression of professionalism, but also character. If you wear something really boring and standard, they may think you are boring and standard, like the others. You want to stand out, but conservatively.

i've got a question - would it be too flashy to wear a pink or orange colored tie, with either a white or light blue shirt?

cant go wrong with dark colors black/navy/charcoal.........however, if you go black, try to do a good job combining the shirt/tie, some people i interviewed with this past year looked like they didnt have a mirror!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i've got a question - would it be too flashy to wear a pink or orange colored tie, with either a white or light blue shirt?

One of the interviewers I saw frequently this year most often wore a pink shirt with a loud cartoon tie. Do you think he cares what color tie you wear? Seriously, most of the interviewers are basic science faculty (they wear a tie only on interview day) or clinical faculty who aren't really very fashion conscious (particularly the men).

This is quite a topic because it goes into how a suit fits you and what is appropriate.

What fits you and wears the best may not be good for business. And what you can wear to the office may make you look like an amateur.

Here are a few pointers. Again this is just my opinion.

1. COLOR: Dark Navy or Black suits look professional and lend you a level of credibility. Pinstripes are in season lately and gray sublte pinstripes may give an air of confidence to an otherwise boring suit. Gray is a cool alternative to black, but I'd stay away from brown.

2. FIT: Dont buy a coat that's too big, or you will look like an amateur.

3. STYLE: Double breasted is nice but a bit too flashy. Keep it conservative.

4. SHIRT: Solid color relatively thick white dress shirts are a good bet. Don't buy a see-thru shirt, it will sink the rest of the suit at first glance. Blue or gray hues are acceptable. Yellow can be standoff-ish IMO because yellow and black combo is threatening in nature. Other light pastels may work, but tone it down with a conservative tie.

5. TIE: Easy to make a mistake here. No hard and fast rule, as I see it, but should complement the suit. I prefer solid colors or solid colors with a light boring pattern overlaid. Should have darker hues with a black suit, gray with gray, and should'nt clash with your shirt. I'm not qualified to speak on ties really, but as long as you dont look like a stop sign, youre ok. here's help http://www.mens-fashion-tips.com/mens-ties.html If in a panic, just pick an older looking dark colored tie and throw it in a half windsor knot. Shows you can improvise.

6. BELT: Any color as long as its black. =) Shiny, solid black with silver buckle. Brown may be substituted if you have a dark gray or brown suit.

7. SHOES: Think of these as rims, and you suit is the car. Wingtips or oxfords in black are the safest bet and also most professional looking. They must be black (or brown to match the belt) and SHINY. Loafers make you look cheap. Square toed shoes can be worn if the rest of the suit is stylish and modern, but they should never detract from the suit, merely highlight your sense of style. I've seen many suits made null and void by ragged dull scrappy shoes. A wide brimmed sole makes them industrial looking and can also sink your suit.

The most important thing however is to wear something that fits you well and makes you feel comfortable. If the suit is wearing you, it will be a distraction for both you and the interviewer.

It should presents you as professional, knowledgeable, and personable so you can get the difficult questions out of the way and start talking about important things .... like golf.

8. WATCH. Bonus section. You could get the Omega Seamaster and go 007 on your interview, but generally a watch with leather band is most appropriate and tasteful choice. Seiko, Fossil, Citizen make excellent quality dress watches. Rolex DateJust or Daydate if you want to bring the bling. Stay away from the Timex and Casio G-shock types.

Owwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
How you doin!!!!
Sashay Shante!!!!!! You betta work!!!!! Hhhhhhhhhhhow you doin!!!!
hahahahahahahahaha
j/k!!!!!

thanks for the tips!

Again, keep in mind that medical school is not a business environment. You are not interviewing for a position at the Federal Reserve Bank or Federated Department Stores. Academic environments are much less fashion conscious. If you are clean, neat, and don't look like you are wearing a potato sack no one will say a negative word about your attire.

One of the interviewers I saw frequently this year most often wore a pink shirt with a loud cartoon tie. Do you think he cares what color tie you wear? Seriously, most of the interviewers are basic science faculty (they wear a tie only on interview day) or clinical faculty who aren't really very fashion conscious (particularly the men).

hey, i need any advantage i can get, and certainly want to avoid offending anyone in any way :laugh::laugh: i guess the light blue shirt/pink tie combo will be my go-to attire this interview season...

from what my mentors tell me... khakis and a blazer not ok. dark suit for sure... single-shaded tie. it's just as well cuz tan suits are from the 80s...

what about khakis and a blazer? Too informal?

Khakis and a blazer are summer "uniform". The winter version is blue blazer and charcoal gray trousers. This is old school "preppy" and 15-20 years ago (and perhaps longer ago than that) every man dressed this way for interview day as well as for alumni weekend (we'd just get finished with interview season and there'd be a cast of characters dressed the same way but 20-40 years older :laugh: ). I don't know of an interviewer who would find this unacceptable (most likely it is what they wore for their interviews) but most med school applicants want to follow the crowd and dress to fit in with the herd and so everyone tends to wear a black suit. :thumbdown:

charcoal grey or other dark suit.

LizzyM, what exactly would you think about an individal that wore a pink suit? Would you admire that confidence and all-around ballsiness or would it just be a sad, sad day?

Owwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
How you doin!!!!
Sashay Shante!!!!!! You betta work!!!!! Hhhhhhhhhhhow you doin!!!!
hahahahahahahahaha
j/k!!!!!

thanks for the tips!

ingenious reply.

im not offended, but its a valid point. good taste is from London and Milan, not Miami or San Francisco.

i wore a 4 year gray suit and cheap tie and payless shoes for medschool interviews. internship was a different story... pink tie, lip gloss, and mascara.... haaaaayy!!!

I agree with LizzyM 100 percent. My interviewer told me he was sick of all the navy blue suits and wondered why we all looked alike. I got accepted, which means he must have thought more of my tie than my suit, right. I believe that one may actually be better off wearing something with a little style that is NOT the textbook interview attire. It needn't be too flashy, but a little personality to distinguish you from the crowd is highly recommended. After all, most of the hardcore docs I've worked with or come across could probably benefit from a little fashion 101 themselves.

tan = summer suit. blazer + slacks = a little too casual.

if you want to snazz up your attire, do it in your tie or shirt with cool colors and/or stripes. of course, done tastefully. remember that no one will judge you for being conservative in your dress.

personally, i tried to stray from the dark suit + white shirt + blue tie. lol

women can definitely get away with a lot more than men in the color and different department, but personally, I think the jacket being the top isn't ideal for an interview. Very business-y, but not interview-y. But I tend to be a bit conservative in how I would dress professionally. Also, I don't know where you live, but there may be MANY times when you'll want to take off your jacket. I know I did during certain parts of almost all of my interview day (not during the interview, but at lunch, during a super hot part of the tour, etc.). But if it looks good and you feel amazing in it, it may be a-ok. :luck:

I agree with LizzyM 100 percent. My interviewer told me he was sick of all the navy blue suits and wondered why we all looked alike. I got accepted, which means he must have thought more of my tie than my suit, right. I believe that one may actually be better off wearing something with a little style that is NOT the textbook interview attire. It needn't be too flashy, but a little personality to distinguish you from the crowd is highly recommended. After all, most of the hardcore docs I've worked with or come across could probably benefit from a little fashion 101 themselves.
I agree. Men will be limited in their color choices for their jacket and their pants. Black, charcoal, or navy blue will be the most common choices. Since colors of the suits will be more or less the same, it's up to accents like pinstripes or texturing to make the difference. Shirts are the same way. Certainly almost all applicants will be wearing white but since you unbutton your jacket once you sit down, the shirt you wear will differentiate you from other applicants depending on the cut of the collar and the style of the buttons and of the breast pocket (if there is one).

More than anything, though, your tie will differentiate you the most. Burgundy, yellow, and blues are the standard tie options for the interview and since everyone will have those ties, you should choose a tie that adds personality. The best way is through texturing since most patterns are hit/miss and at more conservative schools, they may be frowned upon. Whether you choose textures or patterns, they should be used to draw the interviewer's eyes to your tie but shouldn't fix their eyes on it. They should look at it, appreciate it, and then look at you and start the interview. The most important rule of choosing a tie is DO NOT wear a tie that is the same color as the shirt. (e.g. no solid gray tie on gray shirt, black tie on black shirt)

Other than picking a great tie, get a comfortable and well fitted suit so that you feel like a star when you wear it. Get nice shoes that feel like you're walking on air. Most importantly, though, make sure they fit! Any areas that are tight will start to cut your feet and drive you nuts throughout interview season. The last thing you want is to walk like a cripple during a campus tour. Likewise don't get wide sizes unless your feet are wide. The extra gap will make you feel like you're walking like a clown. And please! Make sure your belt matches your shoes. And as mentioned earlier, that usually means black belt with black shoes. And with the belt, the buckle is what will differentiate you from other applicants.

As for watches, Omegas are a little over-the-top. They're massive too. And boring, I think. After all, not everyone can get the 007 variants that offer more flair and all Omegas are uber expensive. Like another comment suggested, any leather strap watch will do. Just get a watch that will add an accent to your wrist but won't attract attention. Metal bands are so gaudy.

The bottom line: it's okay to stick with the traditional color palette but spruce things up and show off your personality with textures and slight variations in color and style. IMHO, there are ways to be conservative but still look trendy and young.

i would say your suit is similar to your personal statement....

"you wont get in solely based on it, but it can keep you from getting in!"

a guy wore a bright red suit my interview year, your clothes should not be what draws the interviewers attention IMHO. (didnt work for him)

ingenious reply.

im not offended, but its a valid point. good taste is from London and Milan, not Miami or San Francisco.

i wore a 4 year gray suit and cheap tie and payless shoes for medschool interviews. internship was a different story... pink tie, lip gloss, and mascara.... haaaaayy!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
comedy

but I really will be taking your advice on tie choices.

So you were saying that you do not want your tie to be like "stop sign" (i assumed that meant standing out). So then is it ok to wear ties that complement your shirt....for e.g....if I have aon a solid blue shirt, can I wear a shiny blue striped tie (has light and navy blue stripes)?

Suit color would be black

LizzyM, what exactly would you think about an individal that wore a pink suit? Would you admire that confidence and all-around ballsiness or would it just be a sad, sad day?

boo-yeh, a woman wearing a pink suit would be sweet and yet an independent woman. A man wearing a pink suit... Lord have mercy... I just can't picture it.:laugh:

boo-yeh, a woman wearing a pink suit would be sweet and yet an independent woman. A man wearing a pink suit... Lord have mercy... I just can't picture it.:laugh:

As long as it's polyester, it's okay. :laugh:

suit129.jpg

Dr.Bowtie is going to wear a bowtie and a seersucker suit. I however will be wearing a charcoal suit, white shirt and red tie.

I wonder if anyone's ever dressed up as a doctor (white coat, stethoscope) for an interview.

As long as it's polyester, it's okay. :laugh:

suit129.jpg

Medical students may use the verb "pimp" to describe questioning that goes on during clerkships but one should not dress like a pimp.

And unless there is something wrong with my monitor that suit is more of an orange-red than pink.

I should also mention that Drop-kick Murphy has promised to wear his kilt to interviews. :hardy: I wish he'd hurry up & apply already.

Ok, after all the serious professional advice, it's time for a semi-serious question.

While I lucked out with genes for a good immune system, strong teeth, and I tan well, I wasn't blessed with good hair. It's everywhere I don't want it, and not where I do want it, on my head. Actually, I did have nice, black hair until about age 22 when it started receding up front. I always went with the tight fade (1/4" on the sides, 1 inch on top), but it's so thin now that I decided to just set the clippers at 1/8" and cut it all off (for a point of reference, google Jason Statham from "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels"), and trim it up once a week to keep it this way. My girlfriend thinks it's hot, so there's my justification.

My head is shaped well, but would I come off as a skinhead to Adcoms? If I get any interviews this time around (knock on wood) should I grow it back out?

Actually, this is a serious question, with some added self-deprecation.

Ok, after all the serious professional advice, it's time for a semi-serious question.

While I lucked out with genes for a good immune system, strong teeth, and I tan well, I wasn't blessed with good hair. It's everywhere I don't want it, and not where I do want it, on my head. Actually, I did have nice, black hair until about age 22 when it started receding up front. I always went with the tight fade (1/4" on the sides, 1 inch on top), but it's so thin now that I decided to just set the clippers at 1/8" and cut it all off (for a point of reference, google Jason Statham from "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels"), and trim it up once a week to keep it this way. My girlfriend thinks it's hot, so there's my justification.

My head is shaped well, but would I come off as a skinhead to Adcoms? If I get any interviews this time around (knock on wood) should I grow it back out?

Actually, this is a serious question, with some added self-deprecation.

No worries. As I mentioned in a PM to someone who asked about a beard (for religious reasons), you might get a better reception at the schools in large cities with diverse populations than in some small "white bread" town. My church organist has a hairstyle like this and I've never ever thought of him as a "skinhead".

No worries. As I mentioned in a PM to someone who asked about a beard (for religious reasons), you might get a better reception at the schools in large cities with diverse populations than in some small "white bread" town. My church organist has a hairstyle like this and I've never ever thought of him as a "skinhead".

eeeexcellent. It was either this or the comb-over....that was an easy decision to make. I'm sure these worries are starting to sound a bit paranoid, but like you mentioned about leaving religious activities off the AMCAS, some people have biases they may not realize.

FWIW, I interact with alot of doctors with goatees, non-religious beards, earrings and other "bling", but the interview is all luck-of-the draw I suppose.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
comedy

but I really will be taking your advice on tie choices.

So you were saying that you do not want your tie to be like "stop sign" (i assumed that meant standing out). So then is it ok to wear ties that complement your shirt....for e.g....if I have aon a solid blue shirt, can I wear a shiny blue striped tie (has light and navy blue stripes)?

Suit color would be black

ties are tough. do you have a blue eyes because that would be ffaaaabulous!! :laugh: