Interview attire for research lab position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenCenter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you wear to an interview for a Research Assistant position in an academic lab (for a guy)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

normal clothing. these interviews tend to be VERY informal. basically they want to see if you are genuinely interested in what htey do and if you have a special skillset that they can use.

I always think that it is better to be overdressed than under. IMHO I would recommend a suit, or at least business casual. I think it sends a very respectful and professional message.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always think that it is better to be overdressed than under. IMHO I would recommend a suit, or at least business casual. I think it sends a very respectful and professional message.

fo sho

In general, PhDs at my school don't care too much about their appearances. They usually wear some sort of t-shirt and jeans. On occasion, they'll tuck their t-shirt into their pants.

For a research assistant position, I'd go with student casual.

Do whatever makes ya comfortable but if your interviewer is indeed wearing t-shirt/jeans it might be a bit awkward for you to be in a fancy suit.

I think you should DEFINITELY dress up and wear a nice suite specially if you're interviewing for a full-time, paid position and you already have a Bachelor's. I dressed up to my interview for a competitive, high-paying research job and I got it (but turned it down later for personal reasons). So yeah, always look your best despite how your interviewer chooses to look.

In general, PhDs at my school don't care too much about their appearances. They usually wear some sort of t-shirt and jeans. On occasion, they'll tuck their t-shirt into their pants.

For a research assistant position, I'd go with student casual.

Do whatever makes ya comfortable but if your interviewer is indeed wearing t-shirt/jeans it might be a bit awkward for you to be in a fancy suit.

ummm... bad advice. I dress in a soccer jersey and jeans every day in my lab, but for first impressions, you need at minimum a button up shirt. undergrads wanting to work in labs are a time a dozen, and lazy ones even more so... last thing you want is to appear that you couldnt even look decent for a half hour interview.

Oh and there's a difference in how you dress for an interview for a paying job versus a lab position as an Undergrad. For the interview I had to work in my lab as an Undergrad, I did NOT wear a suit and go all out and I think doing so is too much since you're only going to be a volunteer, but for the paying job I felt it was necessary to do so since you are applying for a higher position :)

i really don't think thats necessary.

a coworker of mine gave a talk at a top 10 med school for a position for associate professor and he did not dress up at all (a sweater and jeans). got the job.

it seems like in research positions, it just really isnt' that necessary, unless it's at a really corporate place ie: pfizer, etc. In an academic setting, i've generally noticed that no one really cares. at all.

for formal job interviews... yea you dress up. but most of the time meeting with a PI to see if you fit their lab isnt a formal thing. no one there will be dressed up, at least to the business casual level. whats more important is that you know your poop (they * my original word). if they ask you a question be able to answer it. as one poster said, undergraduates looking for research are a dime a dozen (though not really at my institution) but regardless, even if they were, most dont know what they are getting into. read the most recent papers from the lab, be able to ask intellegent questions regarding their research. if you are really slick, ask if they have tried xyz. that is 14362462626 times more important than what you wear...

thanks for the advice everyone. it's for a post-BS position. i'm going to dress business casual (dress shirt, no tie). i wish i had time to prepare and read up their publications, but they called me yesterday and asked if i could come in the next day (2 hours from now). it sounds pretty laid back anyway.:luck:

Lol at my lab if you showed up in a suit not only would you not get the job but we would mercilessly taunt you if we ever see you again and refer to you in jokes for many years to come.

Glad I didn't interview at your lab then...

my boyfriend works at the NIH and he said all the people that come in to interview for post-BS positions wear a suit. No one in the lab dresses up for the interviewees, but they all appreciate it when they wear suits because it shows they take themselves and the position seriously. that being said, I recently had an interview for a research position at a hospital and wore a suit and felt very stuffy and silly...

in any other field, you would without a doubt be required to wear a suit...even the non-profit world....i think you are best off wearing one...

my boyfriend works at the NIH and he said all the people that come in to interview for post-BS positions wear a suit. No one in the lab dresses up for the interviewees, but they all appreciate it when they wear suits because it shows they take themselves and the position seriously. that being said, I recently had an interview for a research position at a hospital and wore a suit and felt very stuffy and silly...

in any other field, you would without a doubt be required to wear a suit...even the non-profit world....i think you are best off wearing one...
the NIH is a bigger deal than your local university, though.

I would expect someone who is inquiring about a research position to wear no less than khakis and a tucked in polo, but wouldn't expect more than a shirt/tie with no suit jacket, especially in the summer.