interview attire (males)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rushpike19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think as far as interview attire? I keep hearing navy blue suits with white or blue dress shirts are the way to go... should we wear black or brown shoes with this?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys think as far as interview attire? I keep hearing navy blue suits with white or blue dress shirts are the way to go... should we wear black or brown shoes with this?
It doesn't matter, but I prefer brown so that they pop out more.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I would say it doesn't matter. I've interviewed a lot of candidates in the past and never paid attention if they are wearing black or brown shoes. It would be a different matter if you weren't wearing a suit at all and dressed informally.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think black looks more professional. If your only summer suit is navy, then wear that. But I would wear a black, formal suit before I would wear a navy suit.

Make sure your navy 'suit' isn't a mismatched pair of navy slacks and a blazer. A blazer is not a suit coat, an neither is a sport coat.

I would also wear black leather. It is probably better to be subtle than to be flashy. No big, flashy watches either.

You want your intellect/character/humility/earnestness/personality to stand out, not your clothes.

Just my 2 cents.

If you only have a blazer and slacks that match, wear that and look your best.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

Grey with black leather shoes or navy blue with brown shoes. Match the belt with the shoes. Always get them tailored.

Keep black suits for weddings and funerals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Grey with black leather shoes or navy blue with brown shoes. Match the belt with the shoes. Always get them tailored.

Keep black suits for weddings and funerals.
I agree with this. I like grey personally with a neutral color shirt

rock the red and yellow tie and attire. Got to represent PIKE, right? ;)

I am personally a fan of grey suits and tan leathers. Wear what you like without being too flashy - if you're going to invest in a suit, I would think it would make sense to get something you like and can see yourself wearing again in the future.

Also, +1 for getting it tailored. Seriously. Do it.

It really doesn't matter so long as it looks good on you. Pick something that goes well with your skin tone and personal sense of style. Make sure it's tailored. Don't wear too nice of a watch. Don't let the tie be too loud.

Stay away from black. An interview is not the appropriate setting for a black suit. Have you ever seen that scene in Step Brothers where they go interview at the comic book store? It's kind of like that.

If you prefer darker colors, a nice charcoal that's tailored would look very nice. Like Maga said, a solid textured tie is nice. If you decide to go with something patterned, make sure it's subdued.
Your belt and shoes should match as well, or at least complement each other. Make sure they don't clash.

Just make sure you go for something classy, professional, and mature. Some of the things people wear to interviews are mindblowing. That's not the time to make a fashion statement.

Good luck on your interviews!!

Reactions: 2 users
What are y'all's opinion of pocket squares and tie bars? I like the accents but I feel that they may come off as trying too hard.

I would encourage anyone reading this thread to ask for sources before accepting any of these as fact or standard. I would highly advise against going out and spending significant money on a suit and tailoring. You're attire is not going to make or break an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
The convention way to dress appropriately is dark matching pants and suit, white undershirt, with the belt and shoes matching colors. It should be a normal tie, color doesn't really matter just don't overdo it. I agree that bowties are really aren't appropriate, you don't want to give any unnecessary bad first impressions

Edit: just saw ncide/schmoob said the same thing. I second that

I would encourage anyone reading this thread to ask for sources before accepting any of these as fact or standard. I would highly advise against going out and spending significant money on a suit and tailoring. You're attire is not going to make or break an interview.
This is not true. There are many cases where clothing can have negative impacts on your perception - especially when applying to a health school. Adcoms aren't the only ones interviewing you.

This is not true. There are many cases where clothing can have negative impacts on your perception - especially when applying to a health school. Adcoms aren't the only ones interviewing you.

Source? I worked in silicon valley, I've done a start up for Amazon, and at my last job I was a logistics and management consultant. I've interviewed in the 100's of college applicants as well as experienced professionals. There is no correlation between wearing flashy clothes and succes/talent. If someone doesn't hire/give you an LOA because of your clothes then count yourself lucky that you just dodged a bullet because that individual has no clue how to pick successful people. I understand that y'all are trying to help but you are unintentionally misguiding people and probably causing unnecessary stress to others.

Stay away from black. An interview is not the appropriate setting for a black suit. Have you ever seen that scene in Step Brothers where they go interview at the comic book store? It's kind of like that.

Seriously? An interview is not the appropriate setting for a black suit? What?

I know you're a moderator but I have a hard time understanding this. I've seen more black than anything and I have heard from deans and students that a black suit is standard attire....

Reactions: 2 users
Source? I worked in silicon valley, I've done a start up for Amazon, and at my last job I was a logistics and management consultant. I've interviewed in the 100's of college applicants as well as experienced professionals. There is no correlation between wearing flashy clothes and succes/talent. If someone doesn't hire/give you an LOA because of your clothes then count yourself lucky that you just dodged a bullet because that individual has no clue how to pick successful people. I understand that y'all are trying to help but you are unintentionally misguiding people and probably causing unnecessary stress to others.
So your source is essentially just... you? No offense, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that certain clothing styles are inappropriate for an interview.

Would it be appropriate for me to wear a polo shirt, a pair of chinos, and some boat shoes? No. It wouldn't be.

Yes but i live in silicon valley and all the tech companies are VERY relaxed with their dress code. A T-shirt and jeans are typical, so I can see why you wouldn't need to dress up for the interview as much. for them it's not about how you look, it's about how well you can code lol

So your source is essentially just... you? No offense, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that certain clothing styles are inappropriate for an interview.

Would it be appropriate for me to wear a polo shirt, a pair of chinos, and some boat shoes? No. It wouldn't be.

I posted a link higher in the thread with some recommendations from Emory University. They're a pretty reputable school in the business world.

Stick to tech. You are trying too hard here

A black suit won't kill you, but you will undoubtedly look better in navy or charcoal. Black is too formal/serious.
Okay then. I'm wearing a dotted charcoal grey/champagne gold suit to my next interview. From a few feet away, it looks gray and you can't see the pattern, but up close you can see the pattern with the gold. Nothing special, it's a Dillard's summer suit, mostly cotton.

I'm just saying, I think black is professional. Like I said before, you don't need to overdo your attire. Black is nice and simple. A black suit with a dark blue or black tie, I think, would be very handsome.

I think wearing a bright, satin navy sport coat is too flashy. You want your intellect/character/personality to stand out, not the fact that you dad knows a nice clothier.

Okay then. I'm wearing a dotted charcoal grey/champagne gold suit to my next interview. From a few feet away, it looks gray and you can't see the pattern, but up close you can see the pattern with the gold. Nothing special, it's a Dillard's summer suit, mostly cotton.

I'm just saying, I think black is professional. Like I said before, you don't need to overdo your attire. Black is nice and simple. A black suit with a dark blue or black tie, I think, would be very handsome.

I think wearing a bright, satin navy sport coat is too flashy. You want your intellect/character/personality to stand out, not the fact that you dad knows a nice clothier.

This is just silly logic in my opinion. Why can't you dress well and display your intellect?

IMO it's nicer to wear a charcoal grey or dark navy suit instead of a black suit, as I feel a black one has a wedding feel to it. Can't go wrong with a white dress shirt since you can wear a variety of tie colors.

I swear to the man upstairs that if you wear a navy suit with black shoes that I will found you.

I swear to the man upstairs that if you wear a navy suit with black shoes that I will found you.
I won't dispute your aesthetic taste, but you do realize that a US naval officer uniform is a navy suit with black shoes, right? There's a reason it's called navy blue. Better get used to it now that you've signed on. ;)

You know nothing Jon Snow...
6b783237005cba974129837f48e0c8a9.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I won't dispute your aesthetic taste, but you do realize that a US naval officer uniform is a navy suit with black shoes, right? There's a reason it's called navy blue. Better get used to it now that you've signed on. ;)

Brown leather shoes go very well with navy blue.

If you match the belt, it looks sharp.

navy_suit_dark_brown_suit_468x650.jpg

I never understood why they call them dress blues. They're basically black. Its not like the Marine Corps, who's dress blues are actually blue.

I never understood why they call them dress blues. They're basically black. Its not like the Marine Corps, who's dress blues are actually blue.
Seems like the goal was to get as close as possible to black without being true black, to honor the tradition (stemming from that of the British Royal Navy, I believe) but to make it look better...lol. Kinda like the difference between A1 and B1 shades for teeth. You would know better than me though.

Seems like the goal was to get as close as possible to black without being true black, to honor the tradition (stemming from that of the British Royal Navy, I believe) but to make it look better...lol. Kinda like the difference between A1 and B1 shades for teeth. You would know better than me though.
If you decide to be a lifer, Brooks Brothers actually does dress blues. They are VERY nice. Really expensive, but really nice. Especially if tailored.

I was just joking around. I actually wore black shoes with my Navy suit to my interviews. I'm actually wearing that combo right now for my job. At my MWU interview the dean or someone high up said it was funny how pre-dental students worry about what is the "right" thing to wear to an interview.

What are y'all's opinion of pocket squares and tie bars? I like the accents but I feel that they may come off as trying too hard.
I wore both to interviews and was accepted to several schools. It's not one of those make it or break it type things.

1. Navy or charcoal suit. Gray is fine too. (I've seen subtle window pane suits or light pinstripes look ok, but you have to know what your doing lol)
2. White or light blue solid shirt
3. Dark tie. No crazy patterns, stay away from skinny knits or anything too informal
4. Black oxford shoes is the golden rule, but Brown is totally fine. stay away from loafers

basically, as long as your suit fits, and is not some crazy color or loud pattern, you should be fine.

Honestly I would say it doesn't matter. I've interviewed a lot of candidates in the past and never paid attention if they are wearing black or brown shoes. It would be a different matter if you weren't wearing a suit at all and dressed informally.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
"Weren't wearing a suit"?
I strongly believe that a full blown out suit is out of proportion. Dress pants, dress shoes, and a nicely tucked in dress shirt will easily do the job.

As you said though, just don't go in informally dressed.

I strongly believe that a full blown out suit is out of proportion. Dress pants, dress shoes, and a nicely tucked in dress shirt will easily do the job.

I can say first hand that you will look very out of place if you don't have a suit.

In 7 interviews I saw one person not in a suit.

You can only make one first impression, so you might as well look professional w/ a suit.

Has anyone suggested the rhomper yet? I've heard those are pretty styling...

I can say first hand that you will look very out of place if you don't have a suit.

Looking out of place isn't always a bad thing, no? I find it a way to stick out.

Personally, I can't afford a suite, and I hardly doubt adcoms would judge their applicants based on whether they're wearing a suite or not. If so, then that's just wrong. If an applicant comes in in jeans or something, then yeah, it's expected that eyebrows are to raise here and there. Even if I could afford a suite, I still honestly think it's way overboard. To each his own I guess.

Looking out of place isn't always a bad thing, no? I find it a way to stick out.

Personally, I can't afford a suite, and I hardly doubt adcoms would judge their applicants based on whether they're wearing a suite or not. If so, then that's just wrong. If an applicant comes in in jeans or something, then yeah, it's expected that eyebrows are to raise here and there. Even if I could afford a suite, I still honestly think it's way overboard. To each his own I guess.
Try to borrow one. Shop around at thrift stores. You can afford a suit if you look long and hard enough, I promise.

Check out Topman, ASOS, and sales of clothing stores. If you have ~$200-300, you can definitely afford a decent suit. Shop smart.

After spending years of your life studying and thousands of dollars for undergrad and thousands of dollars on AADSAS+DAT+Prep materials just to be eligible for and competitive enough to even be invited for an interview, I dont see you how can afford to NOT buy a suit.

Buy a suit. You didn't work this hard to risk not being offered a seat because you didn't put on a tie.

I'm sure you how a dress shirt and some dress pants. All you need is a blazer of some sorts which you can buy for $50 that fits. It's not that hard. You don't have to get a 3 piece suits for 500$ just a dress shirt, pants, a blazer or whatever they call it, some nice shoes and a tie. It's not that expensive at all. Put some product in your hair. Boom! That's it.