Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apip

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I know interview season is not here yet, but I’ve been excited thinking about it and have started doing some research on recommended suit colors for interviews, and the common consensus seems to be black, dark grey, or navy. However, I believe my interview will be one of the strongest parts of my application, and I would really like to wear a more memorable color. I believe my application to be average to slightly above average compared to previously matriculated students in the programs I am applying to. If I can be remembered in a positive light it may be the deciding factor for acceptance. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts with bolder or non-traditional colors? Assuming the suit will have a tailored fit and be paired with simple hair, makeup, and jewelry, would either of these two be a tasteful choice (most notably the orange)? I already know that these colors pair very well with my complexion. Thank you very much in advance!
51372AC2-9602-4829-9AA4-B1780D3573AF.png
3C23D52F-F77E-496A-9D9F-E45F96FFCC75.png

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would just try to keep it simple. While you want to be memorable, let your personality do the talking. Not your clothes. You don’t want to have someone see it the wrong way. Or think it’s”too much”

Also, chances are very good that your interviews will be virtual for majority of your schools. So they’d only be able to see your head and shoulders. I had zero in person interviews and All 5 were virtual last cycle. And it seems like schools prefer the virtual method for logistical reasons as well as costs going forward. Some will have in person, but that doesn’t seem to be the majority.

You could however wear the more colorful suit during a required school tour.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone!

I know interview season is not here yet, but I’ve been excited thinking about it and have started doing some research on recommended suit colors for interviews, and the common consensus seems to be black, dark grey, or navy. However, I believe my interview will be one of the strongest parts of my application, and I would really like to wear a more memorable color. I believe my application to be average to slightly above average compared to previously matriculated students in the programs I am applying to. If I can be remembered in a positive light it may be the deciding factor for acceptance. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts with bolder or non-traditional colors? Assuming the suit will have a tailored fit and be paired with simple hair, makeup, and jewelry, would either of these two be a tasteful choice (most notably the orange)? I already know that these colors pair very well with my complexion. Thank you very much in advance!
View attachment 372701View attachment 372702
sounds like you have made up your mind already...

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like you have made up your mind already...
green one actually wouldn't be that bad, and even the orange one is not that far off IMO...

Reactions: 1 users
green one actually wouldn't be that bad, and even the orange one is not that far off IMO...
although the orange pants may be considered a bit tight by some...

it's an interview. make a good impression not a fashion statement

Reactions: 1 users