interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDBOY

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
haven't seen a post about what everyone is wearing to their interviews lately... what seems to be the normal attire and what seems to stick out? ive got a pretty nice black suit with blue pinstripes and a blue shirt and tie... sound about right? thank u

Members don't see this ad.

One interview I went to one guy showed up in khaki pants and a tie. He didn't seem to blend in as well. I sort of wish that the interviews were a little more relaxed, but the fact is if one person wears the best suit he's got, and you wear something much less professional, you lose.

more info at this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=152610

Definately wear your suit. You want to take them as seriously as they take themselves. Another useful idea would be to brush your teeth before you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
A recent post on this site suggests that wearing a shirt that suddenly pops open is a sure way to get accepted to dental school..

I guess that only works well for the ladies.. If you're a dude.. Stick to the suit. You only get chance to make a first impression!

I've been to a few interviews so far and pretty much everyone was wearing a suit, except for one guy who was is a sportcoat. The suits all basically look the same, so I would suggest putting a little effort into choosing your tie. A great tie catches people's attention and makes you look polished.

As for the girls - please put a little bit of effort into your hair! I saw so many girls who looked great in their suits, but just left their hair hanging there looking messy and unprofessional. I usually always wear my hair down, but an interview isn't just any other day. I'm not sure how much your hair will effect your acceptance, but I think it's good to look your best even if it's only for your own self-confidence.

Jessica

Yah, the word is that those not wearing a suit seem out of place. I plan on wearing mine too.

Make yourself look professional. But you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on your suit. The current one you have may work just fine. I will not buy a new suit for my interviews (if I have one). I'd rather save that money to buy toys for my son.
The hair thing definitely bothers lots of interviewers, IMO.

Jess_SB said:
I've been to a few interviews so far and pretty much everyone was wearing a suit, except for one guy who was is a sportcoat. The suits all basically look the same, so I would suggest putting a little effort into choosing your tie. A great tie catches people's attention and makes you look polished.

Before my interview, one of the interviewers came over to talk to me and in the course of discussion, he said something to the effect "I also came over to get a look at this tie." He loved it and since I wasn't wearing a traditional black or dark blue suit, I really stood out and apparently it was a good thing.

Jess_SB said:
As for the girls - please put a little bit of effort into your hair! I saw so many girls who looked great in their suits, but just left their hair hanging there looking messy and unprofessional. I usually always wear my hair down, but an interview isn't just any other day. I'm not sure how much your hair will effect your acceptance, but I think it's good to look your best even if it's only for your own self-confidence.

Jessica

So do you think wearing your hair pulled back is the way to go? I have heard it both ways.

It depends on your hair and esp the length of your hair. Mine is below my shoulders and can look messy after a few hours of touring and sitting through presentations. So I pulled my hair back into a simple, mid-level pony tail with a side part. Whatever works with your hair is best. I think the word to remember is 'professional'. We will be entering a field where cleanliness and personal hygeine are very important, so try to look give a polished impression!

BTW, I am no hair expert - you should see what I look like right now! :eek:

Jessica

ItsGavinC said:
LOL, come to Arizona--it affects your chances greatly.
:D

I have a lot of hair. Does that mean I have a better chance of getting in?

In all seriousness, do what you want with your hair, future dental ladies of the world. I have long blonde hair halfway down my back and wore it down for my interview. I realize that pulling your hair back is supposed to be the more professional thing to do, but seriously, if I'm being judged whether or not my hair is up or down, straight or curly, healthy or dry, I should have entered a beauty pagent instead of dental school. Like Jess_SB said, do what works best with your hair (but avoid banana clips).

As long as you are not twirling your hair or combing your fingers through it constantly, I think up or down is fine. In fact, do both. Get a mullet. Gavin, is it true admissions favors people with mullets?

I think if one has the money to purchase a suit, by all means, do so. It is definitely a good idea to have a suit and a tie. Dress up nice and professionally is very important to make first impression.
However, it doesn't mean that you should dig deep in your pocket and spend a lot of money on a suit. I personally think that the adcom will judge you based on your performance, your answers, your attitudes, your confidence....etc. A suit is simply saying that you are a serious person, but I don't think it is the only factor that will make you a "rejecting" candidate. If you don't have a suit and the dental school adcom will not take you seriously, then I don't think i would go to that school anyway. Like someone has said, it is not a beauty contest. The adcom should know that most applicants do not have the money, especially after they have to pay for AADSAS, application fee, traveling expenses, etc...
I guess at least one should dress professionally, at least a black pant, a dressing shirt, a tie, with hair combed back and clean, and polished shoes are the minimal requirement. If you have a suit, you should wear it. If you don't, just dress up the best as you could. It is your attitude, your behavior, your answers, your confidence, and your respect of the adcom that counts the most....A suit is important, but I don't think it is the BIGGEST deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
LOL, come to Arizona--it affects your chances greatly.
:D

why?what do you mean?

I went in with a tan colored suit, I really stuck out amongst all the black suits, I got many " wow a different color from black!" plus the suit was cheap...casual corner!

I would definately suggest wearing a suit. But additionally, I would suggest that you keep your suits conservative, because most interviewers are a bit older, theyve been in the dental profession for a while, and theyre into the 'professional' thing. So in other words, dress conservative (like the president) as opposed to showig up with your fancy tie, shoes and earrings and rings like P. Diddy going to party

What do you guys think about a dark red tie? I was thinking of wearing a black suit with a white shirt and dark red tie. The tie is a dark red with a faint stripe pattern. It has hints of black in it too. It is kind of hard to explain the color, a dark redish black I guess. I am not into the fashion thing, but my friend said ties are really important. Thanks.

xxdakinexx said:
What do you guys think about a dark red tie? I was thinking of wearing a black suit with a white shirt and dark red tie. The tie is a dark red with a faint stripe pattern. It has hints of black in it too. It is kind of hard to explain the color, a dark redish black I guess. I am not into the fashion thing, but my friend said ties are really important. Thanks.

it sounds like a great tie for a different occasion, but it might be a bit much for an interview. you don't want to looking like you're trying too hard to stand out. but then again, if you wear it with confidence it can work in your favor--red commands respect.

I'm new here, so sorry if I'm bringing up something that has already been discussed ad nauseum, but in terms of interview attire - what about the female half of the population? I won't wear my hair down (thanks Jess_SB :) but what about clothing? Suit as well? Or does the conservative sweater and skirt thing work as well??

Thanks... am currently chewing fingernails down to knuckles out of anxiety. Can I pretend that I'm just a VIctorian hold-over and wear gloves? :D

On almost every interview I have been on so far there's been several faculty members who compliment the people who aren't wearing the standard interview looking suit. For instance a lady wearing a purple suit as opposed to the grey or Blue one -- or the guy wearing a black suit with a blue shirt and yellow tie as opposed to the blue or grey pinstripes. Is dressing conservative still the way to go? Maybe the people in purple dress or yellow flashy ties are the ones who stand out more and are therefore more remembered.. Hmmmm

Has anyone else noticed this as well?

DMD_hopeful said:
Is dressing conservative still the way to go? Maybe the people in purple dress or yellow flashy ties are the ones who stand out more and are therefore more remembered.. Hmmmm

Has anyone else noticed this as well?

3/5 of the people at my interview had interesting looking outfits on. They had on your standard dark suit, but spiced it up with red/lavendar/pink/blue ties or blouses. I thought they looked just fine. I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to be a little creative with your attire as long as you don't go overboard. For instance, I would definitely think twice about wearing an all purple suit to an interview... reminds me of Prince.

I'm going for this color mix for my suit and tie. do you think the tie stands out too much?

8637540.jpg

polarnut said:
I'm going for this color mix for my suit and tie. do you think the tie stands out too much?

Nope -- I think it looks great. Personally, I like a colored button up instead of the standard white.

This thread is hilarious :D :D :D

Why don't you guys come to the interview naked? ;) You'll definitely stand out :D

Personally, I'd tend to go for either the colored shirt and a more subdued tie OR a white shirt and a more standing-out tie.