Quantcast

interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optogirl2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have a question, it may seem kind of shallow but it is stressing me...I will be applying (and hopefully interviewing) for optometry schools this fall and I have bought a conservative black skirt suit. What should I wear under it? I think a white or a blue blouse would be way too boring...would it be too flashy to wear a bright colored shirt? And what about shoes? Would high heels be appropriate? And could I bring a purse or do I need a briefcase (ugh)? Sorry, that is a lot of questions, but I've been on the lookout for things to buy lately.

lnn2

Oral Fixation
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
optogirl2010 said:
I have bought a conservative black skirt suit. What should I wear under it?
Nothing!
optogirl2010 said:
I think a white or a blue blouse would be way too boring...would it be too flashy to wear a bright colored shirt? And what about shoes? Would high heels be appropriate? And could I bring a purse or do I need a briefcase (ugh)? Sorry, that is a lot of questions, but I've been on the lookout for things to buy lately.
You're not auditioning to be a dancer... are you? :) bright color shirt would be nice (but not too bright!) Don't bring a briefcase unless you have a certain things that you'd like to show them. I don't think you need a purse either but I'm a guy so...

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
optogirl2010 said:
I have a question, it may seem kind of shallow but it is stressing me...I will be applying (and hopefully interviewing) for optometry schools this fall and I have bought a conservative black skirt suit. What should I wear under it? I think a white or a blue blouse would be way too boring...would it be too flashy to wear a bright colored shirt? And what about shoes? Would high heels be appropriate? And could I bring a purse or do I need a briefcase (ugh)? Sorry, that is a lot of questions, but I've been on the lookout for things to buy lately.

i'm thinking it's not necessary.... but i guess it's ok if it makes you feel more comfortable...

opt future

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at a couple of schools last winter, and I met a few other female applicants in the process. The majority of them had the black business suit with either a solid or striped button-up collar shirt. However, I never wore an ensemble this prescriptive or formal to an interview, and I was still accepted at every school at which I interviewed.

I think heels are fine if you are comfortable in them and they aren't too flashy. Flats are in this season, so if you think you might fall on your face in heels, you have an option. Purses are fine. I never saw anyone with a briefcase, but you might want to use an attractive tote if you think you will be carrying papers with you.

I know it is important to come across as a professional, but the whole point of an interview is so they can get a sense of you as an individual. Take a chance and let your personality shine through! If they wanted everyone to come to the interview in a black suit, a blue shirt, and black sensible shoes, they would let everyone know -- but that might defeat the whole point of meeting us face to face.

jchod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something see-through would surly leave an impression. Maybe something really low cut. Oh, and Stilettos.

HYCW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I agree you should let your personality shine through, it's better to err on the side of caution and be more conservative than less. I saw a girl wearing a black pants suit with a lace camisole underneath. IMO, she looked fabulous but that's definitely a little to risque for an interview. I wonder if she got in? :)

My vote would be for a striped blouse or a colored shell underneath your black suit. Makes your ensemble look less like a investment banker or lawyer.

I saw a few people carrying leather portfolios binders, but no briefcases. A nice purse (with a small notepad and pen) works fine.

High heels are fine so long as you're comfortable in them because almost all of the interviews include a school tour.

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
jchod said:
Something see-through would surly leave an impression. Maybe something really low cut. Oh, and Stilettos.

yeah, but what if the interviewer is an 80 year old doctor lady?

jchod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still . . . you never know these days.

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
jchod said:
Still . . . you never know these days.

i doubt it... people who interview are usually the doctors in the school... and most are married... (i'd guess 90% are)