interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesskiss312

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey. what do you usually wear to interviews and do I need a resume? I have a skirt suit and a nice blk skirt with a tan jacket. I don't know which outfit to wear. Thanks

Jess

Members don't see this ad.

jesskiss312 said:
hey. what do you usually wear to interviews and do I need a resume? I have a skirt suit and a nice blk skirt with a tan jacket. I don't know which outfit to wear.
Bring a resume if you want - I didn't, but some of the people I interviewed with did. This would be helpful if your interview is closed file (see interview thread to find out which schools interview this way). I wore a pantsuit, but any sort of suit would be appropriate. If you have one, by all means wear it. If you don't, don't feel like you have to go out and buy one - many types of business wear / nice clothes would be appropriate. Just stick to a more conservative look. My one piece of advice is to make sure your suit fits properly. If it's too long in the arms or the pant legs, by all means get it hemmed. Otherwise, you just look sloppy and unprepared. Good luck with your interviews!

definelty wear a suit, black preffered b/c its more professional. and also better if its a pants suit to look conservative and agian professional

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read in a lot of interview books that it is more appropriate for a woman to wear a skirt suit, so you're good to go! Good luck =)

LoveOptometry said:
definelty wear a suit, black preffered b/c its more professional. and also better if its a pants suit to look conservative and agian professional

I would disagree that you HAVE to wear a suit (women... I'm not a man so I'm not the person to ask about that!). Wear something professional, and something you are comfortable in. If that means a suit, then by all means... wear a suit. Yes, the majority of interviewees wear suits, but I opted for some very professional and cute pinstripe pants with a button-up white shirt with a coordinating sweater over it. I felt comfortable and confident, and better yet... I didn't look like every other Tom, Dick, and Jane interviewing!!!

One other tip... wear comfortable shoes! You will be taking a tour of the school, and while those super cute shoes will look awesome, walking around a school and trying to look interested in what the guide is saying when all you can think about is how much your feet hurt isn't a good idea!