Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

castortroy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok to wear suits that have stripes on it and not black?

Members don't see this ad.

of course it's ok-- as long as it's tasteful and professional.

just use common sense and look nice at interviews without going over the top or too laid back.

Go here.
I know we hashed it all out there. If you have more questions you could post on that thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
castortroy said:

As long as the stripes are not copper metallic or anything like that. Color good, within reason.

You know what I'll never understand? Why pre-meds want to look like everyone else. I bet the people wondering what they should wear to an interview are the same people who think they need to do research, become president of premed club, volunteer in the emergency department for 30 hours per week, volunteer for local car washes, take classes on phlebotomy, freak out about the MCAT and study for a year before the exam, freak out about 5/1000 points and complains to the professor for the additional points on a question regrade, ask idiotic or way too complicated questions of the professor while sitting in the front row in order to prepare for LOR-time, et cetera.

Give it a rest. Just dress appropriately. If you need to know what that is, go ask your mother.

the reason why everyone probably dresses like everyone else is usually because it works. Why do peopple go on job interviews always go in suits? Its for the same reason.

But i do agree on several points you make. People need to take a little bit more laid back appraoch to life, and find time to do stuff that isnt just your run of the mill average med school applicant. go out there, have fun a little, get involved with diversity and social work, do what you care about and not what you're told to do, in teh end your enthusiasm for the things you love will ultimately come across more attractively.

castortroy said:

Make sure the stripes are vertical and not horizontal. And while the color needn't be black, I wouldn't go too far out of the earth tones. Make sure its navy blue, brown, charcoal, light gray, or maybe, if it's tasteful, tan.

im curious what kind of outfits adcoms have seen people wear to the interviews. One of my friends told me (he is in med school now and is the student interviewer) that he interviewed someone who came in a full flowing dress, ready for a midnight ball lol

nah, just show up in the most disgusting wierd-ass ****e you can find... Tell them that this is what you meant when you were going to "contribute to diversity on campus". University of Michigan will take you for it at least.

/not bashing AA, read previous post.
//take a joke people.

After a long year on the med school interview circuit I have come away with one conclusion: do not wear a plain black suit with a white shirt underneath. Imagine going to prom and everyone is wearing the same dress you are. It wouldn't be so bad if people were wearing the same dress in a different color or a different cut of dress in the same color, but the same dress in the same color is really just too bad. I had a black suit with a cool stripe pattern which was pretty standard but at least wasn't a clone of every other one. In the East since most interviews are during the winter I think darker is better. However, I wore a lighter greyish colored suit with stripes and matching shirt for west coast interviews since it's cooler out there and fall colors are acceptable. Basically, I just didn't want to wear the same boring suit again. Looking back on all my interviews, I only remember 2 people who were not in suits. These 2 people wore sweaters. Generally I am of the opinion that different is good, but I thought these people ended up looking a bit unprofessional and sticking out in a negative way. Although it really depends on your interviewer and surely some will like the change of pace. Med school admission is not determined (hopefully) based on dress, but cmon you don't want to be too bland.

castortroy said:

Go with the zoot suit!

Rocket3004 said:
yeah either that or I'm bringing a pimp cane and a brim

Another rule is that if you wear a hat, if has to have an obscenely-long feather sticking out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to bring a gilded cup with jewels matching said feather.

If you're a guy, don't forget to wear a cup.

g3pro said:
You know what I'll never understand? Why pre-meds want to look like everyone else. I bet the people wondering what they should wear to an interview are the same people who think they need to do research, become president of premed club, volunteer in the emergency department for 30 hours per week, volunteer for local car washes, take classes on phlebotomy, freak out about the MCAT and study for a year before the exam, freak out about 5/1000 points and complains to the professor for the additional points on a question regrade, ask idiotic or way too complicated questions of the professor while sitting in the front row in order to prepare for LOR-time, et cetera.

Give it a rest. Just dress appropriately. If you need to know what that is, go ask your mother.

You know, sometimes that one point back on the final from a math error will change your grade in your Biochem II class, thereby raising both your overall and science GPA's. Not that I would know or anything! :cool:

Johannen said:
You know, sometimes that one point back on the final from a math error will change your grade in your Biochem II class, thereby raising both your overall and science GPA's. Not that I would know or anything! :cool:

Ehhh, but honestly, how much does that matter to you? Am I just being lazy or too self-conscious about not wanting to appear like a grade-grubber? :)

g3pro said:
Ehhh, but honestly, how much does that matter to you? Am I just being lazy or too self-conscious about not wanting to appear like a grade-grubber? :)

No, you're right. I was trying, unsuccessfully I guess, to poke fun at myself for going in afterward and asking about it.

as stated above, leave the black suits at the store. everybody, and i mean everybody, had on a black suit with some pastel shirt underneath. i can't tell you how many times random people at the schools said that black suits looked horrible.

i personally had a grey pantsuit and a brown pinstripe skirt suit. neither one will make you look out of sorts, but since they are softer colors, you look much more approachable and less abrasive.

and ladies...you will appreciate a low heel (around 1"). i didnt not heed this advice at first, but i soon came around.

Honestly, I don't think you're going to get flushed because you wear a black suit to an interview. I usually wear navy, but as it so happens, I found a good deal on a black suit not too long ago, and there is no way that I am going out and spending $500+ on a new suit just because someone on SDN said so.

Just make sure that you look good and don't wear anything that clashes.

However, anyone that wears a zoot suit to their interviews will become an instant $20 winner if I see them there.

g3pro said:

I don't argue for two hours over 1 point on a test, but if it changed your grade from B+ to A- and you looked at the cumulative effect of this over, say, 30 classes, it very much could be relevant to your GPA (i.e. difference between a 3.4 and a 3.6).

And let's not pretend like medical schools will give you brownie points for the 3.4 and your personal integrity. Your LOR writers might, however.

Understand that I'm agreeing with you in principle, but at the same time I understand where someone could argue against it.

I went to a professor's office recently to see what problems I got wrong on a test -- just as a curiosity -- and felt compelled to remind the professor that I wasn't there to argue over a couple points. "I don't mind," he said. "If you don't care about your performance, what DO you care about?"

Learning the material, sure, but still... food for thought.

zoot suit with a lil john style crunk cup.

Would a suit like this be ok? Its black but it has some large pink (rather bright) pindots.

L430768.jpg

Isn't the answer to the OP's question obvious? Just dress in a suit, jeez. If a med school really comes down to determining whether or not to accept you based on how nice your suit is, I wouldn't want to go there.

I like that suit. But I'm not sure about wearing polka dots to an interview. If you like polka dots try wearing a solid color suit with a shirt underneath that has small polka dots.

christvida said:
I like that suit. But I'm not sure about wearing polka dots to an interview. If you like polka dots try wearing a solid color suit with a shirt underneath that has small polka dots.

Yeah, I liked the fit, but wasn't too sure about the dots.

That will be just fine. No one else at prom will be wearing your dress.

Carmenita79 said:
Would a suit like this be ok? Its black but it has some large pink (rather bright) pindots.

L430768.jpg

SitraAchra said:
as a rule girls should wear heels no shorter than 4 inches

:sigh: Guess I won't get into med school then. I'd break an ankle wearing 4 inch heels. Then again, maybe they'll let me in for letting someone learn how to deal with a broken ankle :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And no, I'm not taking the advice seriously, in case there's anyone who thinks I am...

Polka dots will just make you look like Betty Boop.

jackieMD2007 said:
Polka dots will just make you look like Betty Boop.

i know that some other parts of the country are less conservative in dress but honestly, for interviews here in the northeast that would look a little silly. especially in winter.

also, are there ruffles in the back? what is that thing peeking out from back there?

jota_jota said:
Honestly, I don't think you're going to get flushed because you wear a black suit to an interview. I usually wear navy, but as it so happens, I found a good deal on a black suit not too long ago, and there is no way that I am going out and spending $500+ on a new suit just because someone on SDN said so.

Just make sure that you look good and don't wear anything that clashes.

wear a black suit if you've already bought it and got a really good deal. just keep in mind, about 75% of the people will look just like you. you do so much to set yourself apart in your application, why blend in at the actual interview.

I'm not real worried about not setting myself apart, because as a non-trad, I probably have very little in common with most other applicants (except, apparently, my black suit.)

Just try to be the flyest. That is what I did and I had a lot of luck. Dress well, but don't over dress. Stand out a bit, but not too much. Wear a black suit but make sure your shirt and tie stand out. Think accent colors.