Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allerian1004

Practicing Vampire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is a pantsuit considered a little daring for a female interviewer? I have a black calvin klein pant suit (also has a pencil skirt too) and a light blue collared button up shirt that goes underneath. Is this still appropiate? Also, what would you guys recommend as far as a purse goes?

Members don't see this ad.

Allerian1004 said:
Why is a pantsuit considered a little daring for a female interviewer? I have a black calvin klein pant suit (also has a pencil skirt too) and a light blue collared button up shirt that goes underneath. Is this still appropiate? Also, what would you guys recommend as far as a purse goes?

I don't really understand this either. I mean, the logic behind it is, the medical profession is a conservative one, and in Conservative Land, girls belong in skirts and boys belong in pants. But, I figure, being a female doctor isn't a very conservative thing, in and of itself... and we see that happen all the time now. So, why should the fact that I'm not wearing a skirt trump the fact that I'm entering a traditionally male-dominated profession in the first place? Doesn't make sense... so I'm wearing pants, because they're comfortable.

As far as purse, I'm taking a black bag that'll hold my purse-things plus a folder for a notepad, etc. :thumbup:

CavalierMD said:
I don't really understand this either. I mean, the logic behind it is, the medical profession is a conservative one, and in Conservative Land, girls belong in skirts and boys belong in pants. But, I figure, being a female doctor isn't a very conservative thing, in and of itself... and we see that happen all the time now. So, why should the fact that I'm not wearing a skirt trump the fact that I'm entering a traditionally male-dominated profession in the first place? Doesn't make sense... so I'm wearing pants, because they're comfortable.

As far as purse, I'm taking a black bag that'll hold my purse-things plus a folder for a notepad, etc. :thumbup:

Its only daring if the interviewer is stuck in the 1950's. I am wearing a pant suit, and I would be utterly insulted if that bothered anyone. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never, ever heard anyone (and I know several dozen interviewers) make a comment suggesting that women in pantsuits are inappropriate. In cold weather, one might question the sanity of any woman not wearing pants. ;)