Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer Simpson

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dumb question here, but do most people spend the entire interview day in formal attire? Some have recommended bringing casual clothes. What are they for? The day before? The night after? The tour? Do people actually go on the tour in jeans and then change for their actual interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, yes you will/should be wearing your formal-wear throughout your interview day. If the school provides other functions like a mixer the night before, you might be able to wear casual clothing then, or if you are staying longer in that city as well. Otherwise, I'd advise you to save the jeans for the plane/train/automobile ride home.

Dumb question here, but do most people spend the entire interview day in formal attire? Some have recommended bringing casual clothes. What are they for? The day before? The night after? The tour? Do people actually go on the tour in jeans and then change for their actual interviews?

No interview I've ever been on involved a change of clothes beyond perhaps putting in a wintercoat and boots for the tour.

formal wear all day. if there's a casual get-together for interviewees, then they ask you to bring casual clothes, but they usually make it clear what the casual clothes are for.