interview attire

I am cuurently awaiting interviews at prospective PA programs (CU, OHSU), and have a few questions that someone might be able to help with. As far as interview attire goes, how formal should I go? I know each school is different but is there a standard for men? Is black too formal? I live in a rural town, and have never been concerned with clothing, so asking this is kind of amusing for me. If anyone has any other tips on interview questions, techniques ect. I would be greatful.

CVPA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2000
Florida
G3:

Generally speaking, a dark suit and tie is the safe way to go. You can never be overdressed with a suit when going for an interview, I don't care what program you are looking at. Stay away from the red power-tie ensemble. Other than that, it shouldn't make much difference.

Good luck!!

Emedpa

GlobalDoc
Aug 26, 2001
Taking an Away team....
  1. Post Doc
G3-
just a thought. if you want to be in the pacific northwest, medex and pacific u are both better programs than ohsu. ohsu believes that pa's should only work in rural areas and trains their students in that way. they have one of the only level 1 trauma centers in the area and they do not allow their own students to rotate there.the NP program at ohsu is a very strong presence on campus and is very anti-pa.the np's rotate all over the ohsu campus and the pa students are excluded.
I have precepted students from all 3 area programs and the ohsu folks are the least prepared. thought you should know.

About the Ads
thanks for the info. emedpa. I plan on working in a rural setting and assumed that if a program catered to rural care, it would prepare you more for practice since the availabilty of MD's would be decreased. OHSU is at the bottom of me short list; but if I chose it, do feel as though I would be able to get a quality educatiton there if they so desired? Are there preceptorships in rural areas?

Emedpa

GlobalDoc
Aug 26, 2001
Taking an Away team....
  1. Post Doc
G3-they have a decent program with required rural rotations. their selection of other rotations is ok but leaves a bit to be desired. medex would be my 1st choice in the area but the residency requirements for admission can be a problem; they specifically ask for applications from residents of WA, AK, ID, and WY. anyone else is out of luck.
they have a small class and a part time option, both of which are nice. also you can do many rotations in seattle area medical centers.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.