Interview Attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At one of my successful interviews I wore a fitted sweater under my suit, the other, I wore a button down. I think finding something that's comfortable, that you will be confident in is essential.

Members don't see this ad.

i am the most laid back dresser ever, but i've decided to get a suit for my interviews...however, as i own nothing even remotely like a suit, i don't know where to go! i was hoping that some of the girls on here could reccomend a few stores that have nice clothing but are not ridiculously expensive. i'm going to a huge mall in syracuse this weekend to shop...so it basically has every store in the northeast.

I bought my interview suit from Limited.. I found lots of cute suits at other stores, but Limited was the only store that had long enough pants. I paid more than what I'm used to paying for clothes, but I think it was a good investment. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Silverelf!
I am with you 100% on the day-to-day laid back dressing...
That said, I wasn't sure where to get a suit either, and didn't know what style would be best, so I got 2. One is from Express, and somewhat pricy, I think about 275 or so with a shirt. The other one is more conservative, and is from Macy's. They had some nice suits on sale there - I got the jacket, pants, and a skirt for 200. Now I just have to decide which one to wear!

Does anyone have any thoughts about conservative vs. the more trendy suits?

Dressing up shows you have respect for your interviewers. It's common courtesy.

But if you're going to be touring campus, don’t wear heels, because you'll have to be putting on plastic booties, walking on grates, climbing steep steps and so on.

Id go with conservative...because part of being professional is conforming to an expectation of how veterinarians should look.
I'd go with a suit color that complements your hair color.
I got mine from Ann Taylor...think it was around $300. I justified it by thinking that if I do get in, I will need it again and again later on down the road (assuming it still fits me lol).

i am the most laid back dresser ever, but i've decided to get a suit for my interviews...however, as i own nothing even remotely like a suit, i don't know where to go! i was hoping that some of the girls on here could reccomend a few stores that have nice clothing but are not ridiculously expensive. i'm going to a huge mall in syracuse this weekend to shop...so it basically has every store in the northeast.

dude, there's no way i could possibly spend $300 on a suit.

my best-kept secret? ROSS. i wouldn't know if they have them in new york, but its a fabulous (at least here in philly) retail store taht takes the 'rejects' from big name designers and/or department stores. i got a two piece liz claiborne suit for $30, marked down from $290; tags still on it. not even kidding. nothing wrong with it either. i also got another plain black pant suit for $25. granted, it can be hit or miss... might have to visit the store a couple times before you hit the jackpot, but its ohsoworth it when you do.

nearly everything i own is from ross. i'll never pay more than 8 bucks for a shirt again. mind you, everything is brand name/new, too. these aren't handmedowns. good luck!

nail polish (clear/nude/french tipped) or no nail polish?

shirt collars on the inside or outside of blazer collars? i've seen it both ways for women, and can't decide which looks better. i'm leaning toward outside, because i think it feminizes the look (just slightly).

nail polish (clear/nude/french tipped) or no nail polish?

shirt collars on the inside or outside of blazer collars? i've seen it both ways for women, and can't decide which looks better. i'm leaning toward outside, because i think it feminizes the look (just slightly).

I don't do nail polish, personally. But the ways you've mentioned it sound good.

Also, I can't decide on shirt collars either! I do kind of like the way it looks outside. Also could depend on your shirt/blazer.

My biggest problem with my outfit are the shoes...I want to wear a suit or something that looks elegant...and for this outfit heels would look great...but at the same time the school tells you that you'll do some walking and should wear comfortable shoes...I can't find any elegant, warm, and comfortable shoes at the same time...I can wear boots and work in the mud if I need to...but when I want to dress nicely, nothing makes me feel better than high heels ...i don't know what to do...
this is when I think being a man is so much easier...

Hey all! I really hope this doesn't come off sounding snobby because that really isn't how I mean it. Anyway, I really think you all are thinking waaaaaaay too much into this. When I interviewed I wore a pair of black slack and a midlength burgundy blazer with a pair of black high heel boots that I've had for over 5 years, and I was accepted. I think if you look clean (i.e. do your hair- but not over done (I straightened mine), clean nails, conservative make-up) and wear an organized outfit (without too much fair ;)), you'll be fine. I think you want your personality to shine through, not your outfit so make sure to draw attention by being yourself, not by wearing a flashy outfit. Of course you want to make a good first impression but in the interview they are really trying to get to know you, not your clothes. I guarantee, an hour after you walk out of that interview they may still remember you if you gave a great interview but they wont remember what you were wearing (unless it was something ridiculous). If you are the kind of person who feels more confident being yourself when you are wearing a beautiful $500 suit then by all means I say you should do it. Just remember not to do it for for the purpose of impressing the interviewers with how much money you can spend on an Armani suit, do it because you believe it will make your interview stronger. I hope that helped ease some nerves.

My biggest problem with my outfit are the shoes...I want to wear a suit or something that looks elegant...and for this outfit heels would look great...but at the same time the school tells you that you'll do some walking and should wear comfortable shoes...I can't find any elegant, warm, and comfortable shoes at the same time...I can wear boots and work in the mud if I need to...but when I want to dress nicely, nothing makes me feel better than high heels ...i don't know what to do...
this is when I think being a man is so much easier...

I'm not a heels girl -- I was too afraid I would wear them and do a face plant in front of everyone, maybe even several faceplants!! You are probably 9234892348348 tims better at walking in heels than me though, so this is probably something you wouldn't have to worry about!!

Anyways, I wore black slip-on shoes! Really cheap ones too (walmart cheap-- kind of ugly shoes actually but they worked) and it was no problem! :) It was definately nice to wear comfortable shoes on the hospital tour going up and down the stairs and all around!!

Sooo, basically, wear what you feel comfortable in!!! :) Keep in mind all the walking involved in touring the hospital and new bolton too (at least for Penn -- I think I saw you are equine, right?)!!

if you're going to spend a good amount of money on clothing, by all means it should be a suit (if you can't find a good deal on one, i mean)...it's a good investment and will last you many years to come. i didn't wear makeup to my interviews, but a black suit with kitten heels. i did receive compliments on my earrings at my OSU interview from my interviewers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a heels girl -- I was too afraid I would wear them and do a face plant in front of everyone, maybe even several faceplants!! You are probably 9234892348348 tims better at walking in heels than me though, so this is probably something you wouldn't have to worry about!!

Anyways, I wore black slip-on shoes! Really cheap ones too (walmart cheap-- kind of ugly shoes actually but they worked) and it was no problem! :) It was definately nice to wear comfortable shoes on the hospital tour going up and down the stairs and all around!!

Sooo, basically, wear what you feel comfortable in!!! :) Keep in mind all the walking involved in touring the hospital and new bolton too (at least for Penn -- I think I saw you are equine, right?)!!

Thanks for the tips! Yep, I'm equine...in one of the schools they even told me we'll have to put on rubber boots in one of the facilities....so heels for sure won't work...But they told me some people just bring another pair of shoes with them and change when it's time for the interview...maybe that's a good idea...or maybe I'll just wear some kind of winter boot...since I'm from Florida and I'll probably freeeeeeze up there!:eek: lol!

Just wanted to share something with you guys: I went out and bought a decent suit, shirt, tie, and shoes for not that much money. The suit I wore was conservative but not overly conservative. The interviewer at Penn actually *complimented* me on my suit when I walked in. He said the following:

"That's a nice suit! I don't wear 'em...but I do appreciate a nice suit"

People. PLEASE wear a suit!

>People. PLEASE wear a suit!

Nope! And I dont think it'll change any outcomes either. Im planning on spending $0 on my outfit. Simple black flat heeled shoes, some businessy looking pants, and an ironed collared shirt. I really dont think theyre looking for more than that, and I dont think theyre making their decisions on what you're wearing regardless of whether or not they compliment it. Id be very disappointed in the veterinary profession if thats how admissions committees make their decisions.

Nope! And I dont think it'll change any outcomes either. Im planning on spending $0 on my outfit. Simple black flat heeled shoes, some businessy looking pants, and an ironed collared shirt. I really dont think theyre looking for more than that, and I dont think theyre making their decisions on what you're wearing regardless of whether or not they compliment it. Id be very disappointed in the veterinary profession if thats how admissions committees make their decisions.

i gotta disagree with you jess on this one. i'm very much a jeans and hoodie kinda girl, but i'm going with a suit (cheap mind you, but a suit).

in the jumper ring, i'm not judged on how nice my horse looks, but i'll be damned if my gray mare isn't spotless, bit shining, and my hair in a hairnet. i think it shows respect for yourself as well as to the committee. now i suppose my point has much more to do with the horror stories of hte one girl suspectedly showing up after a night of dancing than with suits versus nice slacks and a collared shirt, but thats just my two cents.

oh, and aninha, i'll be wearing high heels and bringing i dunno, maybe paddock boots with me for the new bolton tour.

Wear whatever you want.
If you wanna show up in a bikini, it may even help you if your interviewers are male :p
If you go with torn up jeans and a tank top, thats fine with me...just leaves one more spot open! Ok that was kinda mean..
If youre going to a NIN concert, wear all black and as much goth makeup that will fit on your face.
If you are going to a veterinary school interview to be considered admission into the DVM program, wear a buisness suit, subtle makeup, no perfume, dont chew gum, don't smoke, and no flashy jewelry. Don't wear an engagement ring. Dont give them any excuse to pick someone else over you.
Act as if you already are a respected veterinarian already, you just haven't gotten the degree yet =)

i gotta agree with emio on this one. you have to dress the part -- i've never gone on any job interview without wearing a suit (i was in a different field prior to vet med). certainly your admission isn't weighing solely upon your outfit but, as someone said before, it does show respect. the same goes with dressing up for any special occassion -- it's more than aesthetics, it's the thought behind it.

what's with not wearing an engagement ring?? i don't see how that affects anything whatsoever. My fiance met both of my interviewers after my OSU interview. I know a lot of people in my class who are married, some have kids. i think that's a ridiculous comment.

what's with not wearing an engagement ring?? i don't see how that affects anything whatsoever. My fiance met both of my interviewers after my OSU interview. I know a lot of people in my class who are married, some have kids. i think that's a ridiculous comment.

If you're local to that school and/or your fiance is 100% committed to moving *anywhere* you get accepted, it's not a problem. It might even be a plus, because they'll see you're committed to staying in or moving to the area. BUT, if the interviewer sees the engagement ring and says "I see you've lived all your life XX state, and now you're applying here in YY state... how would your fiance feel about moving if we accept you?" and you hesitate even the tiniest moment, they may well decide to offer the spot to somebody they think is more likely to attend.

At my one interview so far, the admissions dean guy commented that they're interviewing 250 people, and they had 500 more that would have gotten an interview any other year, but the volume was so high this year they just couldn't fit them in unless somebody else turned down an interview slot. He actually said, if these people call up after getting their rejection letter and ask why, he's just going to say "bad luck - you were just as qualified as the people we interviewed, there were just too many good applicants." Facing that kind of numbers game, you can bet that when my interviewers asked me how I would decide between multiple acceptances (since I applied to a wide geographic range), I left out any mention whatsoever of my SO's role in deciding where to go.

So, I guess what I think is that unless you *want* to make a point of your engagement (e.g. you grew up in XX state but your fiance is from right near the school and you're both excited to be near his family...) it's better to not leave any openings for uncomfortable questions.

anybody have an opinion over what type of shirt goes under the suit? i've tried on different styles, and personally i think i look a little better without the button up shirt... they just look a little ridiculous on me with the suit... i'd prefer a nice blouse or even a camisol...

I have an issue all too common to women, which is that if I buy a button-down shirt that fits my shoulders and waist, it is invariably too tight across the chest and gaps open quite unattractively. It's not like I'm Dolly Parton or anything - I think clothing designers are just so used to pre-pubescent runway models that they don't know what real women are shaped like.

Rather than spend an eternity looking for the perfectly proportioned button-down shirt or having one tailored, I got a very polished-looking knit shell (on sale!) at Nordstrom. All the other department stores I looked at had them too, I just liked the colors at Nordstrom. You'll probably find them in whatever departments have suits or suit separates, they're pretty common, usually sleeveless or short sleeve, knits in various materials and sometimes woven ones in silk or rayon. For knits, find one that looks like a fine sweater rather than a tank top you might otherwise wear to the gym.

Actually a lot of people at my interview were wearing a suit-sweater (or pants-sweater-blazer) or suit-shell combo as opposed to a button-down shirt.

Well then start being disappointed, because as I already posted in this thread, Illinois ADMITS that your appearance is 55% of how people perceive you. And I can't imagine that the other adcoms are far off...

That being said, I'm a guy...and I didn't see any guys dressed in anything other than a suit. For girls it might be different. But as kate has already pointed out, the applicant pool is so competitive that you don't want to get some "bad luck". Wear what you want, but I stand by my suit recommendation.

I dont know, the one place I got an interview so far specifically requested "dress-casual" with "comfortable, appropriate foot-wear". I thought dress-casual specifically meant not a suit.

I dont know, the one place I got an interview so far specifically requested "dress-casual" with "comfortable, appropriate foot-wear". I thought dress-casual specifically meant not a suit.

I agree with you there. Penn gives that advice for their New Bolton interviews, but says nothing for the main campus interviews. And obviously UIUC also publishes specific guidelines. Perhaps other schools have similarly detailed advice. If the school takes the trouble to tell you what to wear, then (duh!) wear what they tell you to. :)

Absent any specific advice, you probably want to wear a suit or at least something that looks pretty darn smart and put-together.

even though the letter says "dress-casual" I'll still wear something like a suit or something elegant.....I think it's better to be overly-dressed than the opposite...the only thing you should really do is wear comfortable shoes I think...because you'll probably look pretty dumb wearing heels in mud & stables, especially after being warned about it...
Also, I called the office at UPenn to ask about this issue....and the lady told me that, yes, the letter says "dress-casual"....but that some people show up in jeans, etc...and that's definitely not what they meant...

I'll be at the "dress casual" interview this friday and I still went out and got a nice suit. I have some nice looking shoes with no heels (never wear heels anyway) and I think I'll be fine. I never dress up, but I'd much rather be the only one in a suit than the only one who was too casual.

anybody have an opinion over what type of shirt goes under the suit? i've tried on different styles, and personally i think i look a little better without the button up shirt... they just look a little ridiculous on me with the suit... i'd prefer a nice blouse or even a camisol...

I'd say go with what type of business shirt you feel comfortable in (camisols, blouses, shells, collared button ups). Shirts allow you to express yourself a bit---I had a vibrant blue collared dress shirt I loved to wear.

Oooh, I totally vote for sensible shoes for large animal folks---there is a lot of walking. Comfortable, but professional shoes are easy to find.

I'll be at the "dress casual" interview this friday and I still went out and got a nice suit. I have some nice looking shoes with no heels (never wear heels anyway) and I think I'll be fine. I never dress up, but I'd much rather be the only one in a suit than the only one who was too casual.

Alright I cede to this debate ;) and I just might go out and buy a suit. My friend said she got one for like 80 bucks at some place for her engineering school interviews. Now thats a bargain this cheapskate might not be able to resist.

You can never trust people on the internet and I thought maybe y'all were just bat**** crazy but then I asked some real flesh-and-blood people and they all said suits were standard etiquette for all professional interviews, too.

Who here is real flesh and blood - raise your hand

*raises hand*

Damn, I've been revealed!! :p

I know this thread is about a year old at this point but I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring it back!

I know this may seem trivial but I was wondering what type of shoes would be OK to wear to an interview. I want to wear heals...I am short and I think they look more professional. I don't want to wear boots, however I am not completely opposed if you think that would look better.

Currently I have these shoes (image attached). I broke them in already and they look good with my suit. I think they look professional, not "clubbish." I wore them to a wedding recently and church on Christmas. My mom and sister both think they would look nice and my sister works in business. Plus, for the tour, I was going to throw some other shoes in my car. Does anyone have any opinions?

shoes.jpeg

Any pointed-toe stilletto is appropriate and will look good with a suit. You can bring another pair of shoes with you if you aren't used to wearing heels for the tour, but if you're comfortable in your shoes that's not necessary. Personally, I think with a suit heels are the only way to go. Boots would be a bit out of place, and if you're short you probably want to avoid flats. I'm 5'2'' and I try to wear heels whenever I go to business events or out, every little bit helps ;)

Thank you! That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to confirm my suspicions.

As for the shoes to wear around for the tour (I don't want to make an a** of myself by slipping or faceplanting or getting stuck in grates), do you have any ideas? I don't want to be all dressed up in a suit and then wear sneakers. Maybe I'll just try to be careful in the heels...

I'm no fashionista, but I would think those shoes would be fine. I never wear heels because 1) I'm 5'10" and 2) I can't walk in heels to save my life. But, if that's what you're most comfortable in, I say go for it.

I'm very much a jeans and hoodie kind of girl, but decided it was time to break down and get nice clothes for interviews. I went out and bought a suit at Loehmann's (very similar to Ross/Marshall's) for $50 and got a button down shirt at the Banana Republic outlet for $10 (yay post-Christmas sales!). I've already spent double my clothing allotment for the year (and it's only the 4th of January!), so I really didn't want to spend money on shoes (I own 3 pairs of shoes: tennis shoes, hiking boots and flip flops). I dug through my little sister's closet and found a pair of simple black dress shoes I wore with a suit for Mock Trial in 10th grade. Dusted them off, polished them and they look new! Hopeully they'll serve me quite at my Penn interview next week :)

I know this thread is about a year old at this point but I figured it wouldn't hurt to bring it back!

I know this may seem trivial but I was wondering what type of shoes would be OK to wear to an interview. I want to wear heals...I am short and I think they look more professional. I don't want to wear boots, however I am not completely opposed if you think that would look better.

Currently I have these shoes (image attached). I broke them in already and they look good with my suit. I think they look professional, not "clubbish." I wore them to a wedding recently and church on Christmas. My mom and sister both think they would look nice and my sister works in business. Plus, for the tour, I was going to throw some other shoes in my car. Does anyone have any opinions?

View attachment 9515

Thanks for bringing back this thread! An interesting read!

They're a nice pair of shoes : ) And if they go with your outfit and you feel comfortable in them, then they're a fantastic pair of shoes!

As for me, I stay away from the boot/pantsuit combo. But that's just me. Everyone has a different opinion of what works.

And for anyone else who might be thinking a similar thing, go buy your interview shoes now to break them in so they feel comfy, and you feel confident in them. You'll thank yourself later. Not such a big deal for guys, but we ladies know how it goes : )

And as you mentioned - winter sales! Go shopping soon! If the image works, here's a picture of (very similar to) what I have. I've gotten a few compliments on them in professional/interview situations, so I figure they're 'professionally approved'. They're comfy to me, and I have no troubles walking, running, and skipping around in them, but then I've got more practice than I'd like to admit. And they were like $15.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51l3c4%2BV0AL._AA262_.jpg

Go with whatever you're comfortable with, heels, boots, or flats (and looks professional), and you'll thank yourself for wearing the shoes a little before hand to break them in : )

Remember, it's the person in the shoes, and not the shoes themselves, that will impress the interviewers. The shoes just kind of help you look and feel sharp.

Oh, another thing. (I went to a few 'Dress for interview' workshops). When buying a suit, do the sit down test. Sit down and check yourself out in the mirror. Sometimes a suit will look flattering when you stand, but bunch weird and look less flattering when you sit. Something easy to forget when buying your first suit.

Boots would be a bit out of place

I completely disagree with this. I've been working in the professional world for 4.5 years now, and I wear leather dress boots to work all the time, especially in the winter. As do many, many other women I've worked with. Keep in mind that there is a lot of variety when it comes to boots. My favorites are from Nine West and look something like this:
View attachment 9521

I always wear them with pants, so all you're seeing is the very bottom portion (which is why short boots are perfect). They look extremely professional with slacks, and they help keep my feet warmer than any other appropriate shoes I've found (pumps, etc). I've actually seen a huge variety of shoes worn by women in the working world, and most of them look fine. As long as they sort of mesh with your outfit, I doubt anyone will notice them (probably not the interviewers, at any rate).

That's true, and I may have overstated a bit. Some boots will look good with a suit, while some are a little bulky for my taste.

After talking to some people who interviewed at (and later attended) WSU, where I'm interviewing, they said most people were dressed very professionally- either suit or 'business casual'. But if you're going for a tour later on, esp. in the large animal barns or what not, don't forget a change of clothes. The vet I work with suggested changing into something neat such as a nice sweater and jeans. Hate to be mucking around a dairy in business suit and pumps!!

This may not be an option for most people, but the weekend I'm interviewing at KSU they have interviews and tours both days. I was planning on doing the tour, etc. on Saturday because my interview is Sunday. This way I can wear more comfortable shoes/clothes to the tour/walking portion. Then on my interview day I can just wear my interview clothes/shoes and not worry about the other stuff. It sounds like that's not possible at places like Penn, where they specifically take large animal people to view the facilities on that day. But maybe an option for other places.

After talking to some people who interviewed at (and later attended) WSU, where I'm interviewing, they said most people were dressed very professionally- either suit or 'business casual'. But if you're going for a tour later on, esp. in the large animal barns or what not, don't forget a change of clothes. The vet I work with suggested changing into something neat such as a nice sweater and jeans. Hate to be mucking around a dairy in business suit and pumps!!

for Tealamutt - WSU is my in state school, and where I hope to get an interview. Good to know most people there were in suits.

Do you know if this year they'll be having tours the same day as the interview? What's the general schedule like for interviewing there?

Thanks : ) I know I'm probably being a dork and thinking about it too much.

Did anyone who went through an interview had multiple ear piercings? What did you do about it? I think there was a thread here a while ago where I mentioned something about piercings, but basically people just gave me advice on what to do... not what they did themselves and if they got in or not.

And with multiple, I'm not talking lobe piercings that you can take out for a day and have them not close over. I have a helix, vertical helix, and verticle lobe piercing, which can't just be taken out for a day...

And with multiple, I'm not talking lobe piercings that you can take out for a day and have them not close over. I have a helix, vertical helix, and verticle lobe piercing, which can't just be taken out for a day...

I would suggest covering up your piercings with some nude fabric bandage. You just need to cut out a small piece and place it over the piercing. That is what we used to have to do at school (private Catholic school), and I have also seen people with it in different working environments.

I am not sure what I am going to wear to my interview. I had it all worked out, but now the temperature is supposed to be 37 Celsius (98.6 F). I have a nice pair of 3/4 summer khaki's that I might wear with a long sleeve olive top.

The only problem is that I don't have any shoes. I will have to go shoe shopping (one of my most hated things ever!).

Darn it, I was dead set on wearing a button down shirt with my outfit (brown pants, really cutely tailored tweed jacket), but I couldn't find a button down shirt that was the right color and cut to compliment the jacket. So I got two other options instead, neither button down. I wanted the button down so I'd feel like I could take the jacket off, need be. But I suppose realistically, I won't be doing that anyway. *sigh* Oh well. At least I got a shell in the right color. Yay!

Did anyone who went through an interview had multiple ear piercings? What did you do about it? I think there was a thread here a while ago where I mentioned something about piercings, but basically people just gave me advice on what to do... not what they did themselves and if they got in or not.

I've got seven holes in my ears and I just left everything in. I did have my hair down, but out of my face.

I got my suit today...I love it, it's so cute. I mean, it's conservative and professional, but I think it's still cute. I debated whether or not to wear a collared button down blouse or a shell, but I finally decided that a shell just looks cleaner to me. My hair, even though it's in a bob, always gets tangled up in collars.

I'm going to wear my dressy boots....they have some heel, and look great.

My mom helped me pick out the suit. It was a lot of fun!

Quick question about shoes: I almost never have to contend with snow/ice on the ground, but one of my interviews is at KSU, where its much more likely we'll have snow or ice...someone suggested I wear high boots with more chunky heels with my skirt suit, rather than the heels/pumps I had planned because they would be difficult under these conditions. I've never even owned a pair of dressy boots, so I'm sort of lukewarm to the idea, but I don't want to have cold, wet feet or faceplant on my way in the door because I chose heels. Are boots what you tend to see at schools where snow is an issue? What have you previous applicants done? Thanks for any advice!

I don't like walking on heels in the snow. Your trouser socks/hosiery tend to get wet and cold, wet feet are not good! I wore low, wedge-heeled boots to my Ohio State interview. If you decide to wear heels be aware that your feet might get wet and brink an extra pair of trouser socks or something. Also, I would recommend a lower heel (unless your an expert runway walker!) if you're not used to the ice. Good luck at your interview!