Interview Attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is unfortunate but true that people will judge your dedication and mental capabilities lacking if you are overweight. For this reason I took special care to look amazing at my interview. I wore a charcoal silk dress suit with my long hair in a bun of large twisted braids. In addition to being overweight I am also very busty so it is hard to find clothing that fits. My jacket had a belt so it was large enough to fit over my chest but could be cinched in so that I wasn't wearing a sack. I felt really great and I knew that came across during the interview.

I am hypothyridic and I continue to struggle with my weight. I have had people tell that they were concerned that I didn't care about myself or weren't intelligent enough to lose the weight:(. People assume all sorts of things about overweight individuals and most of them are negative. It is important to recognize that and do things that will make you look amazing and feel confident so that they have the to opportunity to see you and not your weight.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 5'7", and I weigh 110 lbs. I'm tiiiiiny. And... I had to struggle to find a suit that didn't look like I was wearing a potato sack. So I guess anyone has to work hard to find something that fits them well! I also had to worry about the boob thing, but in reverse... most of the jackets have more room for boobs than I could fill, and they looked weird.

From what I could tell, the size 4-10 people of average height would have the best luck finding suits that fit in mainstream stores. Eh well. I bet we all looked great!

Oh, and just to make an interesting mental picture for you all, my husband is 6'5" and weighs 215 lbs... and goes to the gym. He can pick me up with one arm. Easily. But, he's ticklish. :)

I didn't get any compliments on my attire, but I felt completely comfortable and myself.
The only compliment I got was from my husband.
Me: So how do I look? Anything I need to fix?
My Husband: You look like....Boston legal :D
At least I took it as a compliment. LOL.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think about cowboy boots (for guys). A buddy of mine wore his, with black wranglers and a dress shirt and he made it in. Don't know how I feel about that.

What do you think about cowboy boots (for guys). A buddy of mine wore his, with black wranglers and a dress shirt and he made it in. Don't know how I feel about that.
I think it depends on the school you're applying to and what your stats look like. If a guys stats were in the middle I'd recommend he go with a suit, but if your friend had really awesome stats or applied to a very LA driven school, the cowboy look may have worked well for him.

I think that if you feel like you look good, you'll act accordingly. If you feel that you'd look better in a good pair of jeans and cowboy boots than a business suit, then go for it.
I think it's the confidence they are looking for, not exactly the attire. (Unless, they actually put into the interview information an interview attire section. Then they would definitely be telling you exactly what you should be wearing.)

I disagree. If you are going to an interview for a professional program you should dress as such. Most people probably feel more comfortable in their normal clothes, this does not mean that is what you should wear to an interview. When you go to any interview you should be dressing your best, and while it may not always be necessary to wear a suit, jeans are inappropriate.

I think it is probably best to err on the side of caution. Although interviewers want to get to know you during the interview, in many cases they also want to see that you are capable of dressing appropriately for a formal interview. Jeans and cowboy boots are pretty risky. I interviewed at four schools this year and noticed that only a handful of the applicants were wearing outfits that would be considered less than formal. Just something to consider.

If someone wore a nice pair of cowboy boots (not mucky from outside, but boots that were polished and for special occasions) with a suit, I bet it would look alright. Assuming they had whatever special personality trait is required to pull off that look. I don't think anyone would be able to find that objectionable. But jeans? No. Not unless your luggage was lost and there is nothing you can do about it.

My dad wears his boots all the time, and he would look so strange in polished lace-up shoes. He's not a cowboy in any stretch of the imagination (my dad on a horse = LOL) but he has these boots special made for his crazy wide feet... they cost a mint... but he wears them everywhere, with everything. I don't think a thing of it.

I have seen people wear cowboy boots with dress pants/suit pants and a dres s shirt and tie, and it looked fine. As long as the boots are clean and color coordinated, and worn with a suit, I don't think it would be a problem.

I have seen people wear cowboy boots with dress pants/suit pants and a dres s shirt and tie, and it looked fine. As long as the boots are clean and color coordinated, and worn with a suit, I don't think it would be a problem.

Our recently retired dean dressed exactly like that. Except up close, you couldn't tell they were cowboy boots. it looked pretty professional to me.

Purplebunnie, it sounds like you dressed fabulously.
Hey, I have two piercings in each ear and I would have more, except I'm a baby.
The only reason I went so conservative is because I'm overweight (so I've got to try just a little harder, unfortunately :rolleyes:) and because at least one school I applied to (A&M) is definitely on the more conservative side.

But it sounds like you looked great and I'm utterly jealous of your outfit. :D

Good thing I edited my application for typos! :D

I steered away from the more conservative schools myself. I'm a baby too :D Some people can do classy/conservative, and I just feel like I'll trip or do something stupid!