1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interview Attire

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by longhorn, Sep 8, 2002.

1. longhorn

longhorn Membership Revoked
    Removed

Guys- Where did y'all buy your suites and how much did you pay? I hate shopping for a suit, its turning out to be harder than I thought. If anyone knows of any good deals please post.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If there is a Men's Warehouse near you, they will have a great selection and can offer good deals. I was just there yesterday. They had awesome sales people (because I know nothing about fashion...matching clothes, what's that?) that helped you coordinate shirts, ties, shoes, belts...but nothing high pressure. Yesterday I bought a $350 jacket for $99. Oh, and free suit pressing anytime for the life of your suit.

4. owen_osh

owen_osh Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would NOT recommend the Men's Warehouse. I think they are usually very high pressure. If you do shop there, get a suit and nothing else. The suits are a loss-leader (I think that's the right term). I don't think they actually make money on the suits because they are discounted. They make money by pressuring you to buy shirts, ties, casual Friday stuff, shoes, socks, cedar hanger for the suit, travel bag, braces, lint brush, etc...all of which is overpriced.

Also, I would definitely recommend shopping around. Don't let a place force you to buy something the same day you try it on. Don't let them start making marks for alteration until you are sure you want to buy the suit.

5. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I bought mine at Marshall Field's for $300, on sale. I think I got a good deal on it, but I didn't really shop around too much. The guy working there helped me find a nice shirt, tie, and shoes that all go together pretty well.

6. MD2b06

MD2b06 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wait until Dillards has a sale. You can get pretty good deals on a lot of the suits that typically go for $495. And go for a different look if you wanna stand out a bit in the interview. Nothing too outlandish though. I had numerous interviewers compliment me, telling me how they get tired of seeing the traditional navy blue suit, white shirt deal all the time.

7. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I bought a navy blue suit from zegna for close to 2k, cuz it was on sale at nordstrum special clearnce.

8. goldenbears18

goldenbears18 Member
    7+ Year Member

Good lord, a suit "on clearance" for $2000 ... that sounds about right for someone who goes to the University of Spoiled Children. (don't superior Pac-10 teams still wave dollar bills at you guys during football games?) ;)

9. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah seriously, Mr. J. Crew. I suppose bragging about that would help you get into med school too...

-RA

10. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

my bf got a really nice suit at Nordstrom Rack (I think it was CK) for about $250 - they do alterations right there too.

11. jot

jot

i didn't like mens wearhouse at all either - not much in my size and the poeple were damn annoying. i kinda splurged on a suit cause my parents helped with half - but i don't think anyone will notice the diff between a 400 and 800 dollar suit (or whatever comparison). below 150 maybe a bit sketchy as far as durability. just make sure it fits you very well, thats all that matters. if you have any custom tailors in your area they can be good - we have a spanish fellow near us that makes great custom suits for about 400 - but be forewarned that they take a few weeks (didn't use him). places we looked were nordstroms, lord and taylor, hugo boss, mens wearhouse, a couple other just suit places and versace, (for sheer amusement of someone trying to sell me a velvet black suit with large pearl buttons - "just perfect for the interview" the emaciated russian model told me)

in a sea of black and navy suits, i'm pretty sure that no one is going to notice that super extra special cut suit. unless its a zegna (whatever that is) ;)

12. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

oh well he can probably afford it since he's not applying to as much backups as we are.

oh, did I say "backups"? I meant... uhhhh.... nevermind.

13. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Conformity. Isn't that what med school is about anyway? :)

Nonetheless, did you see the post above:

-RA

14. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

I do not need to buy a suit. I still have my dad's :laugh:

15. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

I actually liked men's wearhouse for one reason: the sales people really knew the kind of suit that went good for an interview. Suit cost me something like $400.

As far as high pressure salesmen (which I didnt see), just smile and say no thanks.

16. merlin

merlin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Last year I actually found a really nice Calvin Klein charcoal gray suit for around $250 tailored at Macy's. Check out their clearance racks in the suit department. You will be amazed at how low they mark down really fancy suits. Above all though, make sure that you choose a suit that you feel real comfortable wearing because it will really affect how you feel walking into your interview. Good luck.

17. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

This is what I would suggest. Macy's does some great markdowns. And as merlin says, having confidence in what you're wearing is huge. If you feel good, you'll do well.

-RA

18. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

ok randomaccess, i don't know what your beef is with me. jcrew isn't even expensive, compared to other places like **** or clubmonaco or something.

19. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

It was more a statement of your conformity.

-RA

20. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

LOL hi goldenbears,

i was gonna write something rude to you too, til i realized who u were. :) lol
    superior pac-10 schools during football games...this year, only washington and oregon MIGHT be better. we'll own all the cali schools. FO SHO!

and guess what i got for my interviews today. a nice gucci watch. i'd figure it'd make me happy til my first interviw.

21. lol :) dr kevin rulez