interview attire?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by r_salis, Sep 18, 2002.

1. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    And now for a really shallow question...

I went to a pre-med interview forum at school, and when they got around to the "what to wear" information they said that women should wear a skirt or dress to the interview, not a pantsuit. How formal are optometry school interviews -- pantsuit or skirt-suit?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. christie

christie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wore a pant suit to my interviews. Both pant suit and skirt suit are formal. Why would someone say not to wear a pant suit to the interview?! That doesn't make any sense.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. r_salis

Optometrist
    I thought that was lame advice, too. The majority of the audience was pre-med and pre-dental (in fact, I was the *only* pre-optometry), so I think the interview tips were targeted toward those particular professional schools. The impression I have about the med schools is that they are *extremely* conservative throughout the admissions process, much more so than optometry. The counselor was practically apologizing for making the skirt/dress remark, he just said that it's wise to err on the side of conservatism.

So, red leather pantsuit, here I come. :laugh:

4. I don't know if i'm just extremely obsessive, but I really wanted to impress ICO! I wore a suit/skirt with a black jacket, white button down, grey pinstripe skirt, black leather flats, and a diamond necklace. I also carried a black leather planner/briefcase that I bought from an office supply store. I think (silly as it was) that the outfit increased my confidence. At least it took the focus off my hair (frizzy from humidity).

5. r_salis

Optometrist
    That sounds really nice, Eyegirl -- I bet you looked great! (And ultra-professional!)

I think I'm going to end up wearing a grey or dark blue pantsuit, just because that's what I'm more at-ease in. I used to wear that sort of thing when I was working more often than skirts/dresses. And, might I add, I look quite smashing in them. :D