Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
In a dark room
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
And now for a really shallow question...

I went to a pre-med interview forum at school, and when they got around to the "what to wear" information they said that women should wear a skirt or dress to the interview, not a pantsuit. How formal are optometry school interviews -- pantsuit or skirt-suit?

christie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2001
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I wore a pant suit to my interviews. Both pant suit and skirt suit are formal. Why would someone say not to wear a pant suit to the interview?! That doesn't make any sense.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
In a dark room
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I thought that was lame advice, too. The majority of the audience was pre-med and pre-dental (in fact, I was the *only* pre-optometry), so I think the interview tips were targeted toward those particular professional schools. The impression I have about the med schools is that they are *extremely* conservative throughout the admissions process, much more so than optometry. The counselor was practically apologizing for making the skirt/dress remark, he just said that it's wise to err on the side of conservatism.

So, red leather pantsuit, here I come. :laugh:

About the Ads
E

Eyegirl2007

I don't know if i'm just extremely obsessive, but I really wanted to impress ICO! I wore a suit/skirt with a black jacket, white button down, grey pinstripe skirt, black leather flats, and a diamond necklace. I also carried a black leather planner/briefcase that I bought from an office supply store. I think (silly as it was) that the outfit increased my confidence. At least it took the focus off my hair (frizzy from humidity).

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
In a dark room
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
That sounds really nice, Eyegirl -- I bet you looked great! (And ultra-professional!)

I think I'm going to end up wearing a grey or dark blue pantsuit, just because that's what I'm more at-ease in. I used to wear that sort of thing when I was working more often than skirts/dresses. And, might I add, I look quite smashing in them. :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads