interview attire

Started by G3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

G

G3

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone tell me the proper attire for an interview for men. Is black too formal?
 
I am sure there are many answers to this post if you search for similar topics...

However, to answer your question, although black may be a little 'funeral-like,' I would say that its probably not worth going and buying a new suit just because the color is black. Though some may disagree...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure any conservative well-fitted suit is fine, whether it's dark blue, dk green, black, grey etc.
 
I've worn a black suit to almost all of my interviews, except for Wisconsin which was informal...got to wear a nice shirt and slacks...no tie...woohoo!

As long as you look respectable it doesn't matter, blue or black, or gray or brown, or whatever. I seriously doubt it'll make much of a difference. You can wear the greatest looking suit on earth, but if you act like a dumba$$ in the interviews then you still won't get in.

Good luck,

Adam
 
I think charcoal gray is a great color. Not funeral black, not wussy light gray either.
 
Black is fine. It's probably one of the most commonly-worn colors in corporate America. I don't think you can walk down the streets of NYC, Boston, etc. w/o seeing a gazillion people all decked-out in black. Yeah, people wear it to funerals....but if you want to make sure you look professional or "dressy" for any occasion, then go w/ black: you can't lose.
 
I wear a charcol pinstrip suit with a blue shirt. Most guys I've noticed wear white shirts. Some guys have all black suits. Whatever you like is what you shoudl go with, but again if you act like a ******* in the million dollar suit then kiss your chances goodbye.
 
I agree with above posts that black is perfectly fine, especially if that's what you already have. BUT to quote (not quite directly) from a med school dean I know personally "Every year it's the same: masses of people showing up in black and navy blue suits. I almost want to offer admission to the first person who wears something different!"

Just thought I'd share a sentiment I'd heard from the other side...
 
Hey I guess a black suit is o.k but if you want to mac-out stylish you need to follow my lead.

I like to go to my interviews in a bright yellow sports coat with christmas lights outlining the sleeves. I wear red leather pants cause I couldn't find any yellow pants to match.

During my committee interviews I wear sunglasses so that the interviewers wouldn't be able to tell at who or where I was looking.

I heard they like people to be unique and I'm pretty sure I made quite an impression. We'll see.

Hey just kidding.
 
hey just look clean, and dress conservative
mine was black suit, blue shirt, black shoes - hey it workss