Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

interview attire

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by G3, Jan 10, 2002.

1. G3

G3

Can anyone tell me the proper attire for an interview for men. Is black too formal?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am sure there are many answers to this post if you search for similar topics...

However, to answer your question, although black may be a little 'funeral-like,' I would say that its probably not worth going and buying a new suit just because the color is black. Though some may disagree...

4. dynamite

dynamite Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

how about dark navy blue double breasted with pinstripes?

5. YBee

YBee Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm sure any conservative well-fitted suit is fine, whether it's dark blue, dk green, black, grey etc.

6. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've worn a black suit to almost all of my interviews, except for Wisconsin which was informal...got to wear a nice shirt and slacks...no tie...woohoo!

As long as you look respectable it doesn't matter, blue or black, or gray or brown, or whatever. I seriously doubt it'll make much of a difference. You can wear the greatest looking suit on earth, but if you act like a dumba$$ in the interviews then you still won't get in.

Good luck,

Adam

7. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think charcoal gray is a great color. Not funeral black, not wussy light gray either.

8. shimmer118

shimmer118 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Black is fine. It's probably one of the most commonly-worn colors in corporate America. I don't think you can walk down the streets of NYC, Boston, etc. w/o seeing a gazillion people all decked-out in black. Yeah, people wear it to funerals....but if you want to make sure you look professional or "dressy" for any occasion, then go w/ black: you can't lose.

9. I wear a charcol pinstrip suit with a blue shirt. Most guys I've noticed wear white shirts. Some guys have all black suits. Whatever you like is what you shoudl go with, but again if you act like a ******* in the million dollar suit then kiss your chances goodbye.

10. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with above posts that black is perfectly fine, especially if that's what you already have. BUT to quote (not quite directly) from a med school dean I know personally "Every year it's the same: masses of people showing up in black and navy blue suits. I almost want to offer admission to the first person who wears something different!"

Just thought I'd share a sentiment I'd heard from the other side...

11. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior
    7+ Year Member

Hey I guess a black suit is o.k but if you want to mac-out stylish you need to follow my lead.

I like to go to my interviews in a bright yellow sports coat with christmas lights outlining the sleeves. I wear red leather pants cause I couldn't find any yellow pants to match.

During my committee interviews I wear sunglasses so that the interviewers wouldn't be able to tell at who or where I was looking.

I heard they like people to be unique and I'm pretty sure I made quite an impression. We'll see.

Hey just kidding.

12. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey just look clean, and dress conservative
    mine was black suit, blue shirt, black shoes - hey it workss

13. G3

G3

Thanks for all the input. I can now relax about the decision.