Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is probably kind of silly but what do girls do about purses? Ideally I would like to have a bag I can put my heels/flats in but I don't know if a big bag is silly.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a nice leather tote and a satchel. I could fit everything into the satchel.

Reactions: 1 user
This is probably kind of silly but what do girls do about purses? Ideally I would like to have a bag I can put my heels/flats in but I don't know if a big bag is silly.
For my Mizzou and LSU interviews, my dad came with me and drove; I put my shoes and the folders and such they gave me in the car. For Penn, when I was on my own, I did bring a messenger bag with a notebook to take notes and my interview shoes to change from walking shoes; they had a place at the front of the atrium for coats, so I put my bag down there too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my suit today!! I have never had to dress up like this so I need an honest opinion on it please. I don't want to mess this up.

http://www.express.com/clothing/one button studio stretch jacket/pro/6744223/cat290005

So there is the suit and here is the blouse I got to go underneath it. I got the red one. Is red okay?

http://www.express.com/clothing/the convertible sleeve portofino shirt/pro/9799357/cat320062

Looks good. Make sure you are comfortable. You'll do fine.

I got my suit today!! I have never had to dress up like this so I need an honest opinion on it please. I don't want to mess this up.

http://www.express.com/clothing/one button studio stretch jacket/pro/6744223/cat290005

So there is the suit and here is the blouse I got to go underneath it. I got the red one. Is red okay?

http://www.express.com/clothing/the convertible sleeve portofino shirt/pro/9799357/cat320062
Just a heads up they are both half off now. I bought the portofino shirt for the dinner at Ohio the night before!

Where can we find a list of interview questions from last year for different schools?
Sorry if this was already answered, but I cannot seem to find them anywhere.

Just a heads up they are both half off now. I bought the portofino shirt for the dinner at Ohio the night before!
I got mine half off too! Otherwise, it would have been way too expensive.

Where can we find a list of interview questions from last year for different schools?
Sorry if this was already answered, but I cannot seem to find them anywhere.

The "Interview attire" thead is an odd place to ask about interview questions.... but you can probably start at http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=veterinary for information about interviews.

I read somewhere that only dark suits are acceptable. Is that true? I was thinking of wearing a light gray suit.. Would that be okay? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I got mine half off too! Otherwise, it would have been way too expensive.

Saw it when I was express today and bought a portafino shirt as well, they're great! Missed the noon deadline though, so I only got 40% off.. Still pretty pleased though! I have a black suit plus a blue blouse, just need shoes now..

Members don't see this ad :)
I read somewhere that only dark suits are acceptable. Is that true? I was thinking of wearing a light gray suit.. Would that be okay? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Someone in my vet school interview group wore a light grey-ish suit and she got in. Not sure if that helps. I didn't wear a suit at all and got in also.

Just this morning, on a whim, I decided to walk into a thrift shop to just look around and I scored a beautiful and perfectly fitting suit for...drum roll, please...$15.50!!!!! I. Kid. You. Not. And it has never been worn! It still has the original tags on it. I feel so awesomely awesome right now :thumbup:

Reactions: 6 users
Okay good, my mother was making me feel like my east coast interviewers would think I was a hussy.

We wear makeup on the east coast too, haha. Tell your mom she has nothing to worry about. That amount of makeup is just fine. Just don't go too "wingy"

This is good:
cateye.jpeg

This is too much, haha:
winged-eyeliner-thumb-200x251-97114.jpg

I was able to find a nice black tote bag for relatively cheap at TJMaxx (it's the "Ultimate Work Tote"). I wouldn't bring a regular old purse. A nice professional looking tote/satchel is good. I would try to keep the color black or dark brown.
Photo on 11-24-13 at 12.54 AM.jpg

I was able to find a nice black tote bag for relatively cheap at TJMaxx (it's the "Ultimate Work Tote"). I wouldn't bring a regular old purse. A nice professional looking tote/satchel is good. I would try to keep the color black or dark brown. View attachment 25772
Thanks! Thats what I was thinking. I got a medium sized bag from Marshall's that I'm obsessed with, I just have to squish my heels in...although now I'm worried about freezing for my December Tufts interview.

Praying I don't jinx anything by asking this before receiving an interview invite.... How do you think it would go over to wear dress slacks and shoes, and a nice top, but a classy, dressy sweater instead of a blazer? Like an open cardigan, sort of (sorry, I'm not explaining it well, but it really is classy and tasteful) Too informal?

Praying I don't jinx anything by asking this before receiving an interview invite.... How do you think it would go over to wear dress slacks and shoes, and a nice top, but a classy, dressy sweater instead of a blazer? Like an open cardigan, sort of (sorry, I'm not explaining it well, but it really is classy and tasteful) Too informal?

I've always heard that a suit is the way to go, personally. It sounds a biiiiit informal to me.

Basically, if you look nice, like business formal, you are okay. The interview itself is a million times more important than what is keeping you from being naked. So look nice, but don't lose sleep over it!

From the interviewer's perspective I'm sure it would be fine.

But more importantly, I think that if you're sitting there wondering if you're too informal, it might upset your apple cart, so to speak. One of the things about dressing your best is KNOWING you're dressed your best - it gives you confidence. If you're sure it wouldn't undermine your confidence, go for it.

Reactions: 2 users
From the interviewer's perspective I'm sure it would be fine.

But more importantly, I think that if you're sitting there wondering if you're too informal, it might upset your apple cart, so to speak. One of the things about dressing your best is KNOWING you're dressed your best - it gives you confidence. If you're sure it wouldn't undermine your confidence, go for it.

Very well said! I agree with that: you need to be comfortable. You need to believe you're what they are looking for!

Basically, if you look nice, like business formal, you are okay. The interview itself is a million times more important than what is keeping you from being naked. So look nice, but don't lose sleep over it!

Business formal is a suit, business casual is slacks and a blouse/ sweater. If you want to go less "finance" more "marketing" go for a non traditional cut of suit jacket.

http://www.loft.com/vintage-crepe-o...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600

http://www.loft.com/notched-collar-...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600

http://www.loft.com/collarless-jack...tPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=6600

Thanks! Thats what I was thinking. I got a medium sized bag from Marshall's that I'm obsessed with, I just have to squish my heels in...although now I'm worried about freezing for my December Tufts interview.

Not sure if they've changed things since, but when I interviewed a few years ago, you could wear whatever for the tour and then change into your suit for your interview. I can't remember if I was wearing my suit during the info sessions/lunch which were before the tour and my interview.

My thought process going into my interview was that it was one of the most important things that I would ever do in my life. It was my life's goal to be a vet, and I had spent a decade working toward it. I wanted to be a vet so badly that it hurt. I assume many of you feel/felt the same way.

With that in mind, why wear something that will "probably" be ok? I wanted to wear something that I KNEW was going to be ok. I just couldn't imagine taking that risk, no matter how small, that the interviewer wouldn't like what I was wearing. It was too important to me.

I also like what LIS said. Interviews are stressful enough. Nobody should be worrying about what they're wearing too.

Reactions: 3 users
I think slacks and a sweater could be just fine if you make sure they fit well and stuff. A suit coat is not required, it's just what tends to work.

Like I said, more about you and less about your clothes as long as you look nice.

Saw it when I was express today and bought a portafino shirt as well, they're great! Missed the noon deadline though, so I only got 40% off.. Still pretty pleased though! I have a black suit plus a blue blouse, just need shoes now..

If you check out DSW.com the shoes are rated by comfort by people who bought them. That's where I found mine and they are black pumps that are soooo comfortable! I also figure they will work for several years when we have to look nice under the white coat, so it's worth the investment.

Ooh I didn't know they had that! I ended up going to aerosoles and finding a lower heeled pair of black pumps that are perfect. I tend to like higher heels, so I probably won't use them for anything other than interviews, but they're perfect for that, with just enough click clack on the floor to make me feel confident haha.

I'm wearing black pumps and a black pencil skirt with a white shirt and blue blazer. Probably throwing some tights in there as well. I know it's not traditional for me to wear something like this, but I've worn it at job interviews before and done fine. Besides, it looks modest and very professional, and I just don't feel like me (or as confident) if I look exactly like everyone else. Haha

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what is the standard for East coast interview attire? My woke me up this morning completely freaking out that I didn't have the appropriate attire for an East coast interview. I'm from NorCal where everything is pretty casual, but I have a really nice grey skirt suit from Express with a white shirt (it has a slight v-neck). I was planning on wearing that with black boots, black leggings, a black wool coat, gloves and a scarf, but my mom is flipping over my scarf because it's green and purple plaid. Granted this is a woman who was a lawyer and stills wears black exclusively, even in the summer, and I'm all about ripped jeans and Toms, but is a green and purple scarf really inappropriate?

...but is a green and purple scarf really inappropriate?
As long as the print does not depict secretive body parts, foul language, or unsavory historical figures, I'd say a green and purple scarf would be just fine.

As long as the print does not depict secretive body parts, foul language, or unsavory historical figures, I'd say a green and purple scarf would be just fine.

Bahaha.

Yes, I think the scarf would be fine. I think what you're wearing under your coat/to the actual interview part is the most important part of the outfit.

Trying to decide between a skirt or pants. I know it doesn't matter that much, but I'm going to worry about it anyway lol!

I always find it hilarious that this thread gets so much mileage every year.
Interview advice: Look neat, conservative and nothing outrageous, and you really can't go wrong. It is that simple.

Otherwise, for the most part, no one cares. I doubt clothing has been an issue in just about anyone's admittance to vet school... Ever. (ok maybe in the last 50 years).

Reactions: 1 users
so i have a couple ear piercings and i'm wondering whether i should take them out for the interview? I have four and a tragus on one ear and three and an industrial on the other.

Oh. Now I feel awkward about asking my question but I'll ask it anyways....My stupid hair constantly falls into my eyes so I have to wear a hairband...Is that acceptable/appropriate........Or should I wear hairclips? I apologize if someone's asked this question but I'm too lazy to go through all the pages...
I wore a headband, but made sure my hair wasn't flattened to my head if that makes sense. The lady who did my mock interview said to make myself look 'open' but presentable and to NOT pull my hair up in threatening manner like a ponytail or bun. I knew if I just wore it down I might be tempted to fidget with my hair.

so i have a couple ear piercings and i'm wondering whether i should take them out for the interview? I have four and a tragus on one ear and three and an industrial on the other.
I had a lot of piercings too and took them all out. I know it can be a pain but you are supposed to be professional. My thought is that I worked so hard to get an interview I should at least do everything I can in those 15-45 minutes to show that I am ready (including by looking professional)

We wear makeup on the east coast too, haha. Tell your mom she has nothing to worry about. That amount of makeup is just fine. Just don't go too "wingy"

This is good:
cateye.jpeg

This is too much, haha:
winged-eyeliner-thumb-200x251-97114.jpg

This is just my personal opinion, but even the top one is too wingy. The ideal is natural, business-wear makeup. Winged liner is not really in that category.

Google "natural makeup" and you'll get a good example.

But then take it a step further and google image search for business women professional headshots. Zero wings there. Check out what those ladies are doing - they look polished, professional, confident. They should be, they're running companies ;)

Attachments

• 1389302041744.jpg
    1389302041744.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 71
random question. so Im going to minnesota's interview and in the email they say to have "outdoor shoes" to have the tour in ( cause you know its gonna be full of snow and like 8 degree or colder outside:cold:), but they also say that you should be dressed business casual during the tours and other misc activities....

I typically wear heels, but that is NOT gonna cut it in cold minnesota weather.... any suggestions? I don't wanna wear nice clothes and snow boots.... or should i?o_O

C
random question. so Im going to minnesota's interview and in the email they say to have "outdoor shoes" to have the tour in ( cause you know its gonna be full of snow and like 8 degree or colder outside:cold:), but they also say that you should be dressed business casual during the tours and other misc activities....

I typically wear heels, but that is NOT gonna cut it in cold minnesota weather.... any suggestions? I don't wanna wear nice clothes and snow boots.... or should i?o_O

Could you have nice leather boots?

Like so?
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bandolino newsday bootie?prodId=297285&category=dsw10cat70015&activeCats=cat10006,cat20173,dsw10cat70015

Also If you'd ever use them again these would look decent covered with a suit pant. Provided they are cut wide enough.

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bare+traps+...4&activeCats=cat10006,cat20173,dsw10cat120044

great idea thanks I should get some flat boots like you showed. I have boots like the first one you showed but I don't wanna wear heels in the snow, last thing I need is black eye from slipping and falling in the snow!:blackeye::laugh:

I would highly recommend wearing sensible shoes there and bringing your heels with. You are going to be doing a lot of walking and waiting around. Last year my interview wasn't until 2pm so I waited FOREVER and went on multiple tours to pass the time. I put my heels on just before the interview and took them off again to walk back to my car. The interviewers aren't going to see you until the time of your interview so there's no worries there. For the "campus" tour you are really only outside for a minute when you walk from one building to the other. At that point in time there is a skyway and the remainder of the tour is inside. The most outdoor walking I had to do was walking from my car to the meeting building and back again. I did tour the raptor center (definitely recommend that if yo haven't been there) without realizing that 80% of the tour would be outside and on uneven ground (wood frame stairs with gravel).

Maybe that helps a little?

I would highly recommend wearing sensible shoes there and bringing your heels with. You are going to be doing a lot of walking and waiting around. Last year my interview wasn't until 2pm so I waited FOREVER and went on multiple tours to pass the time. I put my heels on just before the interview and took them off again to walk back to my car. The interviewers aren't going to see you until the time of your interview so there's no worries there. For the "campus" tour you are really only outside for a minute when you walk from one building to the other. At that point in time there is a skyway and the remainder of the tour is inside. The most outdoor walking I had to do was walking from my car to the meeting building and back again. I did tour the raptor center (definitely recommend that if yo haven't been there) without realizing that 80% of the tour would be outside and on uneven ground (wood frame stairs with gravel).

:thumbup::thumbup:

Everything in NewBeginning's post is spot on. Right across the hall from our Academic and Student Affairs office (where you'll initially go for your interview) is a little coffee shop. You can easily swap shoes there. Or, if you feel silly doing it in public, there's a bathroom 5 yards away. Don't try and wear heels around on the tour(s); even though we're only outside for a few very brief moments, it's not worth slipping and falling. The two main tours (equine center and the school/hospital facilities) are both almost entirely indoors. The raptor center has more outdoor time and uneven footing (optional tour, but if you're into raptors it's worth seeing).

was the raptor tour an option or was that a self guided tour?

was the raptor tour an option or was that a self guided tour?

Neither really. As far as I know they don't have preset tour times for visiting applicants, but I think you can just wander over and ask to be shown around. They do impromptu tours. At least, when I've been on them. It's just a wander-in-and-ask kind of thing. Less than a block from the vet school.