Is it okay to decline an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

magicwolfgirl

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, is it okay to decline an interview if you already have acceptance to another school you’d prefer? I have been offered an interview with Tennessee, but have already been accepted to Oregon State which I would prefer to attend anyway. So is it okay to decline the interview for Tennessee since I already know I wouldn’t choose that school over what I already have acceptance in?
 
Hi all, is it okay to decline an interview if you already have acceptance to another school you’d prefer? I have been offered an interview with Tennessee, but have already been accepted to Oregon State which I would prefer to attend anyway. So is it okay to decline the interview for Tennessee since I already know I wouldn’t choose that school over what I already have acceptance in?
Yep, totally fine. No reason to waste your time if you know you won’t go there and it potentially lets someone on the waitlist take your spot. Just send them a polite email saying thank you for the opportunity but you’ve been accepted elsewhere and will no longer be pursuing a seat at (insert school).
 
Hi all, is it okay to decline an interview if you already have acceptance to another school you’d prefer? I have been offered an interview with Tennessee, but have already been accepted to Oregon State which I would prefer to attend anyway. So is it okay to decline the interview for Tennessee since I already know I wouldn’t choose that school over what I already have acceptance in?
Oh yeah, that’s totally ok. Like Jayna said, no point interviewing if you know you’re going to reject the acceptance and you give someone who wants to get in a chance.

When you send that email, include your VMCAS ID. I rejected interviews for a couple schools last cycle and they asked me for it.

Glad you got into your preferred school!