Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any men not wearing suits? I'm honestly just not a suit guy. I'm thinking more something of this ilk.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• e2cc9457fdca8398c177179b7e8f5586--groomsmen-sweaters-navy-sweaters.jpg
    e2cc9457fdca8398c177179b7e8f5586--groomsmen-sweaters-navy-sweaters.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 132
Any men not wearing suits? I'm honestly just not a suit guy. I'm thinking more something of this ilk.

I’m not a suit guy either, but you should wear a suit. You will look underdressed compared to the other guys in suits and that’s not a good thing.

Reactions: 3 users
While I saw a fair number of men not wearing suits during my interviews at different schools, I'd have to agree with L2H and err on the side of caution. It may seem silly, but when it comes down to it, your attire could be the difference between an admission offer and waitlist spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I'm not really a "suit woman" either. But wearing a suit is expected and while that outfit is nice (and I would totally prefer to wear it to a suit) it is just not formal enough. I would say to lose the sweater on top and replace it with a suit jacket. I think wearing a well fitted/tailored grey, black, or navy suit is really pretty much expected and if you don't do that, that could alter your chances of admission. I wouldn't leave my chance of admission down to something trivial like that, but that's me.

I rarely wear makeup, and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. It's not that I don't know how to put on make-up, it's that I just feel more comfortable without wearing it. The problem is I have some major acne going on right now, with very dry skin on my forehead and my typical routine isn't working. I have a medical reason for this situation but I can't explain that to the people interviewing me, and I know when my skin is like this, makeup will end up being flaky or crusty and drawing more attention to the problem areas. I can hide the issues but it means more foundation and concealer and primer (not in that order haha) and setting spray and I feel more comfortable without it. I just don't want to be evaluated on my professionalism for having a non-hygenic appearance or looking like a pimple covered adolescent. I have a few days before my first interview and I am asking for guidance on what other people, who have struggled with acne have done?

I rarely wear makeup, and was recently diagnosed with PCOS. It's not that I don't know how to put on make-up, it's that I just feel more comfortable without wearing it. The problem is I have some major acne going on right now, with very dry skin on my forehead and my typical routine isn't working. I have a medical reason for this situation but I can't explain that to the people interviewing me, and I know when my skin is like this, makeup will end up being flaky or crusty and drawing more attention to the problem areas. I can hide the issues but it means more foundation and concealer and primer (not in that order haha) and setting spray and I feel more comfortable without it. I just don't want to be evaluated on my professionalism for having a non-hygenic appearance or looking like a pimple covered adolescent. I have a few days before my first interview and I am asking for guidance on what other people, who have struggled with acne have done?

I think that the bolded is key. Honestly, I don’t see anyone judging you for not wearing make-up. Do what makes you comfortable. My skin is so sensitive and I’ve actually had make-up cause me to break out so I tend to just avoid it.

I have very very dry skin and putting on makeup can sometimes exacerbate the problem. After my flight, my skin was even more dry and I was worried. Like it was flaking off in areas around my mouth and forehead :/ I would consider this: your interviewers will be at least a couple feet away from you, not right next to you. If I stared at my skin from two inches away, it didn't look so good but it looked fine if I backed up and looked at it (this is with makeup on).
If you have acne that is visible from far away (like it is really red), I personally would try to cover it up at least somewhat, but that's just me. That would make me feel more comfortable, but you stated it might not for you. Often times, people make judgements about others within seconds even with regards to minute things like acne. I would just use your best judgement about what will work for you and your skin and I'm sure you will do great!

Any thoughts on wearing an engagement ring to an interview? I recently got engaged and I'm a little nervous about wearing the ring to my upcoming interview...would it make them question my commitment?

Any thoughts on wearing an engagement ring to an interview? I recently got engaged and I'm a little nervous about wearing the ring to my upcoming interview...would it make them question my commitment?
Wear it! There's lots of people interviewing married, engaged, etc. No one is going to question why you have a ring on IMO nor have I heard about it before.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt they would even notice! A bunch of my classmates came into vet school married or engaged, it's not an issue.

Thanks for the replies! :) This process is so nerve wracking!

Currently interested in wearing this outfit to interviews next year in spring down south. Would this be an issue? I am a very artistix person and wanted to reflect that with professionalism.
15266354673609201143_thumbnail_405x552.jpeg

Is that a jacket over her shoulders, or does it somehow look like that? I would tone down the shoes just a touch - stilettos or open toed but maybe not both... ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did stilettos but would not recommend open toed due to going on tours (possibly through the anatomy lab) and weather. Even in the south, it can rain or do whatever it wants.

Currently interested in wearing this outfit to interviews next year in spring down south. Would this be an issue? I am a very artistix person and wanted to reflect that with professionalism.

With all due respect, do not wear this. The neckline of the top half (is this a jumpsuit or two or three separate pieces?) is too low, the cropped ankles are too sexy and the high heels are not professional. A professional school interview isn't really the time to be standing out with your clothing choices.

Reactions: 6 users
I think you have enough to worry/think about in an interview without worrying too much about being trendy/fashion-forward/pushing the envelope. Wear something clean, ironed, fits you well, comfortable (you may be walking around a LOT, don't want to be fidgeting or having weird sleeves hanging down around you), and I hate to say it, but conservative (neckline, shoe choice, etc). You can choose a somewhat bold color or nice pattern dress/blouse/blazer/sweater/or shoe if you want. I'd stick to the tried and true honestly. Show off your knowledge/personality/artistic/creative solutions to complex problems with your interview answer choices.

Reactions: 4 users
With all due respect, do not wear this. The neckline of the top half (is this a jumpsuit or two or three separate pieces?) is too low, the cropped ankles are too sexy and the high heels are not professional. A professional school interview isn't really the time to be standing out with your clothing choices.

Totally 100% agree.

Thoughts on a grey blazer with matching slacks vs. a black one? My mom just bought me a grey one because she's all excited for interviews and grad school lol, but I'm not sure if black would be seen as more professional? Thanks!

Thoughts on a grey blazer with matching slacks vs. a black one? My mom just bought me a grey one because she's all excited for interviews and grad school lol, but I'm not sure if black would be seen as more professional? Thanks!

I’d err toward matching for more of a suit look.

I wore a gray suit to my interview and was accepted so n=1 success.

Also what is with all you spelling gray the UK way?

Also what is with all you spelling gray the UK way?

Not in the convo, but I literally can never remember which way is the correct way. Spelling grey/gray is one of those moments where I think to myself, "I'm going to be a doctor, but can't even spell this word. ****!"

Not in the convo, but I literally can never remember which way is the correct way. Spelling grey/gray is one of those moments where I think to myself, "I'm going to be a doctor, but can't even spell this word. ****!"
Grey is British. Gray is American. But I prefer grey so I just spell it that way. And neither is exclusively used in one country vs the other. It’s just more common in one vs the other.

I spell it gray when it's about hair or fur but grey when it's something else and i don't even know why lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I spell it grey when I'm talking about a cool grey color, and gray when I'm talking about a warm gray color. I don't know anyone else who does this and I have no idea why my brain works this way.

I spell it gray when it's about hair or fur but grey when it's something else and i don't even know why lol

At least you're consistent!

• Haha
Personally, I think it would be fine. You would just want to wear different shoes. (Open toed shoes are too much for a professional interview like this, IMO). I did see many girls wearing the open heels like these, but I think they're too bold. Maybe a pair of closed toed pumps would be perfect.

I showed my personality with my shoes a little bit, I wore Steve Madden Norelle boots (they're no longer available but you can google to find what they look like). You want shoes that you'll be able to walk a lot in because you'll likely be moving around a lot (especially if you have an MMI).

I think it might also be better to wear a gray or other colored blazer. Monochrome black can be too edgy sometimes, and it can make you look like you're wearing a blob of black. I definitely understand wanting to be a bit more on the fashionable side vs being the same as other people. What you wear can help you stand out, but you need to find out how to stand out in the most appropriate ways.

I would actually disagree with the ankles being too sexy and the neckline being too low as well. I wore a shirt from express that had a similar neckline, as long as you aren't showing a bunch of cleavage, I think it's okay as long as it isn't a belly-button deep v. The ankles of this jumpsuit are a common slack length for women that wear heels in the workplace. My pants I wore actually had a similar length to them (ankle length Old Navy Pixie Pants).

https://www.express.com/clothing/women/choker-neck-gramercy-tee/pro/08623111/color/DARK BLUE/e/regular/ (This is the shirt I wore, I also wore it in a silver-gray color).

And this isn't me but these are the shoes I wore: http://thenorthernbelleofthesouth.c...10/TiffanyBlogORIGINALS_20181008_DNP_3158.jpg

I also wanted to be semi-fashionable but also fit in with the business casual/professional look. I wore said blouse and shoes because I wanted it to represent my personality while also being appropriate. I was accepted to all three schools I interviewed at, so my clothes obviously didn't deter me from anything. I also have a strip of color in my hair and that didn't have any problems either (Jessica Scholfield at WSU complimented my hair and my shirt).

Last edited:
For me, an important point to consider from lavanial's post is that she is interviewing in the South. Yes, college towns in the south tend to be more progressive than areas around them, but it's not LA or NYC and I wouldn't recommend wearing something that different. Is expressing your trendy side for a single day more important than optimizing your chances of getting in? You never know who will be on your interview committee and what they will think about your outfit, so I would advocate erring on the more modest/traditional side if at all possible. Wearing the outfit shown seems risky for little to no reward...I mean even if they love the outfit it's unlikely they're gonna give you a spot over someone else because of your killer fashion choices, and if they find it unprofessional they may pass on you. It's important to be comfortable in what you're wearing, yes, but I'd consider finding another way to express your fashionista side, whether that is a cute lapel pin, printed blouse, etc. You don't want someone's takeaway opinion of you to be 'what was she wearing'.

Reactions: 7 users
Personally, I think it would be fine. You would just want to wear different shoes. (Open toed shoes are too much for a professional interview like this, IMO). I did see many girls wearing the open heels like these, but I think they're too bold. Maybe a pair of closed toed pumps would be perfect.

I showed my personality with my shoes a little bit, I wore Steve Madden Norelle boots (they're no longer available but you can google to find what they look like). You want shoes that you'll be able to walk a lot in because you'll likely be moving around a lot (especially if you have an MMI).

I think it might also be better to wear a gray or other colored blazer. Monochrome black can be too edgy sometimes, and it can make you look like you're wearing a blob of black. I definitely understand wanting to be a bit more on the fashionable side vs being the same as other people. What you wear can help you stand out, but you need to find out how to stand out in the most appropriate ways.

I would actually disagree with the ankles being too sexy and the neckline being too low as well. I wore a shirt from express that had a similar neckline, as long as you aren't showing a bunch of cleavage, I think it's okay as long as it isn't a belly-button deep v. The ankles of this jumpsuit are a common slack length for women that wear heels in the workplace. My pants I wore actually had a similar length to them (ankle length Old Navy Pixie Pants).

https://www.express.com/clothing/women/choker-neck-gramercy-tee/pro/08623111/color/DARK BLUE/e/regular/ (This is the shirt I wore, I also wore it in a silver-gray color).

And this isn't me but these are the shoes I wore: http://thenorthernbelleofthesouth.c...10/TiffanyBlogORIGINALS_20181008_DNP_3158.jpg

I also wanted to be semi-fashionable but also fit in with the business casual/professional look. I wore said blouse and shoes because I wanted it to represent my personality while also being appropriate. I was accepted to all three schools I interviewed at, so my clothes obviously didn't deter me from anything. I also have a strip of color in my hair and that didn't have any problems either (Jessica Scholfield at WSU complimented my hair and my shirt).
The shirt you wore has a more conservative neckline than the jumpsuit. If you check the website (Alma Classy Yet Trendy Black Jumpsuit), there is a close-up of the neckline that shows that if the model had any boobs at all, there would be way too much cleavage for a professional school interview.

FWIW, I wore a bold color-blocked sweater and black pants, a cow skull necklace, and electric blue heels.

Reactions: 5 users
If I were tobwear that, I would definitely be closing that plunge. I don't show cleavage.

I don’t see a reason why not to just play it safe. Just because someone’s gotten in wearing something a little questionable doesn’t make it advisable. People do get accepted “despite” certain things, and attire can be one of those things. I wouldn’t give anyone a reason to question your professionalism. It’s literally one day. No one is telling you to dress like that for life.

People who have already interviewed for Ross, what did you wear? Considering, I'll be doing this interview in my bedroom, do I really need a full on suit and tie? Or should I wear business casual?

Haven’t interviewed but I think it’s better to be over-dressed than under!

Correct. I'm about to interview for Ross University's SVM tomorrow afternoon via a video call.
Good luck with the interview! I'm not too sure about the attire, but maybe someone else on here will know

• Love
DO A TEST RUN! Make sure there is nothing in the background that would be unprofessional. make sure the lighting is good, so they can see you without shadows or glare. It would be best if there is a blank wall behind you. I have heard stories of people that had inappropriate posters and other items in the background...or a strangely placed wall decoration. For instance, the family heirloom mounted crossed swords directly behind you makes you look like they are growing out of your head. Not something that is a good look.

• Haha
also, make sure you are not a "floating head". If you wear something light colored make sure your background is dark. If you wear something dark, then make sure the background is light.

Question for the ladies: thoughts on open front blazers because I’m having trouble finding a buttoned one that fits well that’s not super expensive. Here’s an example, and thoughts on the aubergine color? Or stick to the black, navy, gray?

Last question, leopard print pumps if going the black route? I know just the toe sticks out but didn’t know if that was too much or unprofessional.

leopard print pumps

Definitely a no from me. Animal print is for a night out or when you're in a really comfortable work environment when that's part of the work culture. Not so much for a professional school interview.

open front blazers

This is fine to me, though. I never had my blazer buttoned during my interview days.

Last edited:
Question for the ladies: thoughts on open front blazers because I’m having trouble finding a buttoned one that fits well that’s not super expensive. Here’s an example, and thoughts on the aubergine color? Or stick to the black, navy, gray?

Last question, leopard print pumps if going the black route? I know just the toe sticks out but didn’t know if that was too much or unprofessional.

Open front OK, leopard pumps hard no. Stick to traditional colors for everything- navy, grey, black. And since you’re going for a suit look, the fabrics/colors of pants and blazer should match.

Probably a stupid question, but is it unprofessional to not wear a blazer to an interview? I'm ultra petite, so it has been such a struggle finding a blazer w/ matching pants that actually fits me. I was thinking of wearing a long sleeve button up shirt and dress pants. Do y'all think that's okay?

As for shoes, no open toe. You may be touring areas where that is not allowed due to safety/biohazard issues. The unbuttoned blazer should be fine.
@blueheeler I am not sure about your comment about matching. do you mean you cannot locate a suit? Or you are looking for separates, but they end up being two different shades of black? I have had that happen often, when I have found a blazer, and it is just a hair off the pants. :p It gets frustrating. However, I have had a ton of good luck finding petites (that fit!) at Macy's and JC Pennys. They may be a little more in cost, but the quality has always been there for me. (however, I am not "ultra-petite", so that may be the wrench here)

Probably a stupid question, but is it unprofessional to not wear a blazer to an interview? I'm ultra petite, so it has been such a struggle finding a blazer w/ matching pants that actually fits me. I was thinking of wearing a long sleeve button up shirt and dress pants. Do y'all think that's okay?

I am as well. I bought my blazer from Banana Republic then had it altered. It fits like a dream now and was worth the cost, as it’s timeless :)