Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably a stupid question, but is it unprofessional to not wear a blazer to an interview? I'm ultra petite, so it has been such a struggle finding a blazer w/ matching pants that actually fits me. I was thinking of wearing a long sleeve button up shirt and dress pants. Do y'all think that's okay?
I think it’s fine not to wear a suit or blazer as long as you look professional.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As for shoes, no open toe. You may be touring areas where that is not allowed due to safety/biohazard issues. The unbuttoned blazer should be fine.
@blueheeler I am not sure about your comment about matching. do you mean you cannot locate a suit? Or you are looking for separates, but they end up being two different shades of black? I have had that happen often, when I have found a blazer, and it is just a hair off the pants. :p It gets frustrating. However, I have had a ton of good luck finding petites (that fit!) at Macy's and JC Pennys. They may be a little more in cost, but the quality has always been there for me. (however, I am not "ultra-petite", so that may be the wrench here)

The women's petite section at JcPenney runs big on me. I did however buy my dress pants from the kids section of JcPenney. :oops: I have not tried Macy's yet so I'll see what I can find there.

I am as well. I bought my blazer from Banana Republic then had it altered. It fits like a dream now and was worth the cost, as it’s timeless :)

How much did it end up costing in total if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: 1 user

I want to say the blazer was ~$110 and the alterations were ~$30. They have petite sizes as small as 00. I went with regular size 0 since my torso is “normal” length then had the sleeves shortened and had it taken in through the back seams to give me shape. It looked a little bit square on me without alterations.

Also check out Banana Republic Factory. I took a quick glance and they have a basic black one in petite 00 through size 12 for $83.99 and looks like there’s a code for an extra 30% off today.

When I interviewed at LMU there were several women wearing blazers with mis-matched pants. Two with black blazers and grey pants and one with a grey blazer and black pants. I thought they looked professional but I’m also not a fashionista :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Ann Taylor also has nice suits for petites. A bit more pricey but really nice quality and timeless. I was able to use the one I got for college interviews for my first job interviews post-college AND vet school interviews. No way in hell I’ll fit in it ever again at this point, but if I hadn’t outgrown it, it would still be fine.

I have found blazers at banana 00 petite for under $50 and have not needed to get them tailored. 5' <100#

Also wore my blazer open for the interview, MMI.

Also was 8 months preg. Take what you will from that

@blueheeler I’d get the blazer personally. I know people tend to be more relaxed for vet versus med school interviews but I feel strongly that a suit is best for a professional school interview. Do people get in without them? Sure, and maybe I’m just old fashioned. I’m definitely not a fashionista either! But I think getting either a suit or pants/matching blazer and getting well done alterations done is worth it for your future (not just school interviews but jobs, etc.) And they don’t have to be pricey- I think I paid $10 to have my suit pants simply hemmed.

Reactions: 3 users
Open front OK, leopard pumps hard no. Stick to traditional colors for everything- navy, grey, black. And since you’re going for a suit look, the fabrics/colors of pants and blazer should match.

So no on the aubergine? It’s a deep deep burgundy, almost looks dark brown in certain lighting.

Typically, if you have to ask if something is okay... highly likely that it is not. Go with something you KNOW is safe. It will make you less self conscious during the actual interview day. You have enough to worry about the last thing you want to do is go in feeling bad about your attire.

Reactions: 4 users
Probably a stupid question, but is it unprofessional to not wear a blazer to an interview? I'm ultra petite, so it has been such a struggle finding a blazer w/ matching pants that actually fits me. I was thinking of wearing a long sleeve button up shirt and dress pants. Do y'all think that's okay?
I'm very short & look awful in pantsuits so I wore a corporate-looking navy blue sheath dress from JCrew (something like this), a matching cardigan, and a nice scarf. Maybe a suit dress would be easier to find in your size?

In my opinion, a button down on its own + pants is too casual for an interview... and I'm pretty lax on that front because I come from a land of ultra-casual corporate america. Maybe if the shirt is like silk with pearl buttons and you toss a really nice sweater over it + some jewelry...but that also is more of a client meeting outfit than an interview outfit.

In addition to the stores already mentioned, can check poshmark for unique sizes -- sometimes people sell really nice stuff for cheap.

I think a lot of you are worrying about this more than you need to. Just don’t dress like a weirdo. And don’t show off any body parts. And wear sensible shoes. If you have a sweater with an embroidered pelican on it but you are a good applicant, I don’t really think the pelican sweater would exclude you. But if you’d rather not risk it, maybe wear something pretty traditional and get a lapel pin instead. You know, to show off how much you love pelicans.

I have a shoes question - I have short, fat, wide little feetsies that hate virtually all women’s shoes other than sneakers/boots and open-toed wedges or sandals. I’ve been through countless pairs of various flats and wedge pumps, and I’m limping after maximum 45 minutes of standing/walking no matter what. Anyone have recommendations? Do we think a pair of tasteful, plain black booties or ankle boots could work with a black suit?

I was considering something like these: SKECHERS Lasso – Vacinity | Zappos.com

Or does anyone have any suggestions for making blister-y shoes more comfortable? Everything seems to cut into my toes or the sides of my feet or cause heel blisters. Do no-show socks or knee-highs help?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are cute! and I believe they would work.

One of the things that you might want to consider is going to a real shoe store. get them to measure your feet, accurately. I have a feeling that you need a shoe with a "square" toe box...instead of the tight little pointy kind. You might also really need to be looking for a wider size. Getting a good measurement may help you locate a pump or flat that you can wear comfortably.

@EB73674 have you tried wide or extra wide widths? I know Clark’s carries extra wide that could work. If doing a boot, I’d wear a pants suit and have a black leather boot all of the same color.

Clark’s are my absolute favorite. So comfortable. Definitely second this recommendation :love:

If anyone wants expensive but comfortable ballet flats, I love my Tieks. They're the most comfortable 'girly' shoes I've ever owned, by far. I have worn a pair to work every day for almost two years now. Some people might say the teal sole makes them a bit too informal for an interview, but I wore them for all five of the multi-day interviews I went on for my post-residency job and I thought they were fine. I will admit there's not a ton of arch support, but I can stand in them all day without issues. I also wore them to a conference in Washington DC and walked miles around the National Mall in them. But they are an investment. Several people I know also swear by Rothys (including @twelvetigers, I think), if a non-leather option appeals to you.

I'm also Very petite and had a hard time finding a nice fitting blazer. What do you think about this one from H&M? Online it looks like it may be too large ..but it was actually perfect for me in store!

as insane as it sounds, i bought an all-white suit. whenever i wear it to job interviews, the interviewers always comment on how much they love the look.

i always had the go big or go home attitude, and it never hurts to stand out in a crowd (and they always seem to remember who i was!) so if anyone wants to do something crazy and buy a purple or bright red suit, i say go for it

all-white

Funny side note: I wear the same outfit for our open house and interview day cause I help out with tours or admissions stuff. School polo with white pants and black boots. Every year, I manage to spill coffee on those white pants during interview day when they're visible to all the applicants and parents; but during open house when I'm sitting at a table and no one sees my pants, not a drop.

My white pants are the real survivors of my wardrobe.

If anyone wants expensive but comfortable ballet flats, I love my Tieks. They're the most comfortable 'girly' shoes I've ever owned, by far. I have worn a pair to work every day for almost two years now. Some people might say the teal sole makes them a bit too informal for an interview, but I wore them for all five of the multi-day interviews I went on for my post-residency job and I thought they were fine. I will admit there's not a ton of arch support, but I can stand in them all day without issues. I also wore them to a conference in Washington DC and walked miles around the National Mall in them. But they are an investment. Several people I know also swear by Rothys (including @twelvetigers, I think), if a non-leather option appeals to you.

I fookin' love my Rothy's. I have loafers, points, and regular flats. I don't know if they are kid to people with wide feet, but they have a really good return policy if you want to try them out. And I *might* be able to get you a $20 off code if you are interested. (By might, I mean definitely - it's really easy.) The points I thought were weird at first, but then I got used to them and now I think they're a great way to look dressy without having to slap on a pair of heels. Plus, they're machine washable and made from recycled plastic bottles.

honeycombpoint.jpg

I still want to try Tieks but they cost even more than Rothy's... so I haven't yet.

Thank you all SOO much for these recommendations! I've tried some wide shoes & some with a round/square toe box, and they're better, but then they don't come in a size for the length of my foot. So, basically, they're picky. I'll keep trying, but may have to give up and go for professional black ankle boots/booties. I've read previous reports that schools encourage comfortable footwear for interview-day tours, so I may even bring some professional-but-ugly-comfy shoes just for that, and just accept being uncomfortable during the interview portion. The upcoming wedding I'm attending will be my test run haha!

Thank you all SOO much for these recommendations! I've tried some wide shoes & some with a round/square toe box, and they're better, but then they don't come in a size for the length of my foot. So, basically, they're picky. I'll keep trying, but may have to give up and go for professional black ankle boots/booties. I've read previous reports that schools encourage comfortable footwear for interview-day tours, so I may even bring some professional-but-ugly-comfy shoes just for that, and just accept being uncomfortable during the interview portion. The upcoming wedding I'm attending will be my test run haha!
Whatever shoes you do end up getting, try to wear around your house a lot with thick socks (or two pairs) before your interviews so you can break them in a bit and maybe they won’t be as terrible on interview day!

I've read previous reports that schools encourage comfortable footwear for interview-day tours, so I may even bring some professional-but-ugly-comfy shoes just for that
Heck, I brought ugly-but-ugly comfy snow boots and was fine. (I actually also wore completely "normal" clothes for the tour portion & changed for my interview). It was about -15 the day I interviewed so I felt pretty sensible and toasty in my fleece-lined pants while other people were shivering.

Like... you are going to be walking around barns. No one is going to be judging you for not wearing heels and a slick-looking suit when you are next to farm animals. And if an admissions committee does judge someone for that, then they kinda need to get over themselves imo.

Heck, I brought ugly-but-ugly comfy snow boots and was fine. (I actually also wore completely "normal" clothes for the tour portion & changed for my interview). It was about -15 the day I interviewed so I felt pretty sensible and toasty in my fleece-lined pants while other people were shivering.

Like... you are going to be walking around barns. No one is going to be judging you for not wearing heels and a slick-looking suit when you are next to farm animals. And if an admissions committee does judge someone for that, then they kinda need to get over themselves imo.

I mean one would think that would be okay?! I don't know, I'm just so paranoid I'm going to do something ridiculous and jeopardize my teeny tiny chances of acing an interview. Admittedly, the tour guides at the one school I toured this summer were incredibly sweet and understanding when I was gimping around in my new shoes. I'm definitely wearing snow boots to & from everything if the weather calls for it, and will absolutely be wearing my heaviest parka, style be damned. Practicality and good decision making skills, right?

I'm definitely wearing snow boots to & from everything if the weather calls for it, and will absolutely be wearing my heaviest parka, style be damned. Practicality and good decision making skills, right?
Arguably much more important qualities for a vet than fashion sense imo haha.

At least for tours and student Q and A sessions at my school, it's less so how you dress and moreso how you treat people around you. If you change from your interview suit to jeans and boots, but you're sweet as pie, you're good. However, if someone is rude to other interviewees, students, or support staff, we tell adults that the situation occured.

(Though I wouldn't wear, like, holey jeans or anything like that; use common sense)

I chuckled at the girls wobbling around in barn alleyways between chutes and hay piles in their high heels and suit pants. I wore comfy sneakers, jeans, and a sweater or polo for tours or other such things. Suit was on and off just for interviews. Maybe I'm arrogant, but meh. Do your thing and don't be a suck up. Wear what you want. Why send thank you cards for someone just doing their job? Just mind your manners and don't be an uncivilized hobo trash panda and such petty things don't/shouldn't make a difference in the process.

• Love
They're usually doing it out of normal business hours, which merits some acknowledgment in my mind. Though I'm pretty sure I forgot to send one after the interview where I was admitted, oops.

I was raised to send thank you notes for pretty much everything, and still do. I really appreciate thank you notes from others too. Not saying it’s going to make or break your application but I think it’s a nice gesture :)

Hi all! I know this thread hasn’t been active in a little bit, but wanted to run this outfit by y’all before I head out for my Illinois interview. What do we think? Hard to see, but jacket & shoes are black, shirt is warm purple, pants are charcoal gray, going to add understated jewelry/makeup/hair. Necklace could also be a potential conversation starter, it was made out of my grandmother’s wedding silverware.

Attachments

• 43276598-335C-4631-92B8-9C55D5DF06D9.jpeg
    43276598-335C-4631-92B8-9C55D5DF06D9.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 165
  • B63C0170-2D2C-4CFF-AE5C-3A3240C8DC37.jpeg
    B63C0170-2D2C-4CFF-AE5C-3A3240C8DC37.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 153
Hi all! I know this thread hasn’t been active in a little bit, but wanted to run this outfit by y’all before I head out for my Illinois interview. What do we think? Hard to see, but jacket & shoes are black, shirt is warm purple, pants are charcoal gray, going to add understated jewelry/makeup/hair. Necklace could also be a potential conversation starter, it was made out of my grandmother’s wedding silverware.
I think the look is great, but personally I think the pants clash a bit with the jacket. I would go with either black pants or pants that are a much different color, like red. Just my personal preference and what I usually see people doing.

My blind self honestly cannot see the difference between the jacket and the pants :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback y’all, will see if I can find a different shirt to work with tomorrow - the pants & jacket are actually not quite so close in color in good lighting, I took this pic in the evening with sorta dim light. I’m also likely stuck with at least the pants, as I’m a massive pain to fit in pants without alterations. Will go on the hunt for a suitable different jacket tomorrow!

If you like it, wear it! If you feel good in whatever you choose, you will shine!

I know I’m the traditionalist in this thread but...no. There are plenty of ways to be at least somewhat comfortable in professional clothing. I love my jeans and sweaters, and I’m comfortable and confident in my sweatpants but those are not appropriate attire for vet school interviews. I know society as a whole is moving away from more formal stuff and I’m not saying you need a ballgown and elbow length gloves or whatever but I know many of us have seen the “wear what you love!!1!” people at interviews and it’s cringeworthy. Stick to the basics. I still advocate for a suit and feel that everyone should have one in their closet but if nothing else, a matching pants/jacket with a neutral top, understated make-up and jewelry if desired and matching, utilitarian footwear. Leave your favorite bright pink purse and chic beret at home. There are plenty of other ways to “stand out” at an interview that don’t risk an eyebrow raise.

Reactions: 6 users
I know I’m the traditionalist in this thread but...no. There are plenty of ways to be at least somewhat comfortable in professional clothing. I love my jeans and sweaters, and I’m comfortable and confident in my sweatpants but those are not appropriate attire for vet school interviews. I know society as a whole is moving away from more formal stuff and I’m not saying you need a ballgown and elbow length gloves or whatever but I know many of us have seen the “wear what you love!!1!” people at interviews and it’s cringeworthy. Stick to the basics. I still advocate for a suit and feel that everyone should have one in their closet but if nothing else, a matching pants/jacket with a neutral top, understated make-up and jewelry if desired and matching, utilitarian footwear. Leave your favorite bright pink purse and chic beret at home. There are plenty of other ways to “stand out” at an interview that don’t risk an eyebrow raise.

100% agree.

we all like to think that the interviewer isn’t going to make decision based on what you’re wearing, but do you really want to risk that?

Agreed. Like yes you should feel confident and comfortable in what you're wearing but also look professional. If you show up in less formal clothes like jeans or whatever you just look like you're not taking the opportunity seriously and it can leave a less than great impression of you.

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

Reactions: 2 users

As another traditionalist (heck, I trained equitation riders!), I'm going to agree... mostly. At this stage in developing our careers, I do feel that having a suit in the closet is all but required. For those of you who are planning to apply in the upcoming cycle, you ought to be planning and budgeting for a suit if you don't have one already (and, while we're at it... when you find one, please remember to cut those little X stitches off the vents before you wear it!). It doesn't need to be expensive or fancy, but you'll definitely be glad you have it.

But for those who are currently in a bit of a crunch, especially if you're difficult to fit (and I definitely understand that!), I might consider broadening your options a bit. A suit is your best bet, followed by a matching blazer and pants, but if you can't do either of these, I might spend some time in front of a mirror (or, better, some professionals who can offer honest opinions). I would personally much rather see someone in well-fitted slacks and a (professional, not "going out"!) long-sleeved blouse than someone who threw together mismatched or ill-fitting pieces. Just make sure the shoes/hair/jewelry/accessories add some (understated) polish so the look is put together and intentional instead of "I threw on some pants and a shirt this morning."

I'm obviously not a professional school interviewer and I don't know how they score these things, so take all this with a grain of salt. I did interview people for various positions in my previous life, and my thought process was always more about whether someone looked professional, polished, and suitable for the position in question than about the actual items they were wearing. Ideally, you want people not to notice your interview clothing beyond the image it portrays. A suit is a good way to say "I'm a professional" without conveying anything you shouldn't, but if that's just not an option, there are other ways to do that. You just have to work a little harder to make sure you're pulling it off.

Reactions: 5 users
The thing that bothers me the most :rofl:

ALSO CUT THE LABEL TAG OFF OF YOUR DAMN SLEEVE.
Seeing people with the labels on their suit jacket sleeves and the stitching on the vents reminds me of that stupid fad of wearing a new hat with all the tags still on.

I would personally much rather see someone in well-fitted slacks and a (professional, not "going out"!) long-sleeved blouse than someone who threw together mismatched or ill-fitting pieces. Just make sure the shoes/hair/jewelry/accessories add some (understated) polish so the look is put together and intentional instead of "I threw on some pants and a shirt this morning."

Absolutely. I'll add that I spent $10 to have my suit pants and jacket sleeves hemmed at a chain dry cleaner type place for my vet school interview - it isn't like you need to have a custom suit built just for this occasion, even for the hard to fit body types :) I also wore my suit for job interviews after school as well - perhaps a little overdressed for the GP position but I'd much rather be a little overdressed than underdressed, especially with society's perception of millennials as it is.

I'm with the traditionalists here.

I participated in a 3 minute thesis competition last week and the girl who took 1st was wearing skinny jeans. She still won, but you can bet EVERYONE was talking about it. There was a professional dress code. If you do the "wear what's comfortable" thing you might still be successful in your interview or speaking competition or whatever, but you'll also be the subject of "can you believe what she was wearing?" gossip. Also: why take the chance?

Questions for the vets here, what do you wear when interviewing for jobs after graduation? I'm assuming business casual +/- a white coat because for some reason showing up in a suit seems ridiculous to me. Is that any different than an internship? Thanks!

Questions for the vets here, what do you wear when interviewing for jobs after graduation? I'm assuming business casual +/- a white coat because for some reason showing up in a suit seems ridiculous to me. Is that any different than an internship? Thanks!
I wore a blazer and slacks to my first in-person interviews, so a suit would be appropriate. Most of the initial interviews were lunches/dinners and a tour of the facilities, meeting the staff. No white coat. I asked what they wanted for follow-up working interviews, since different places have different dress codes.

Slightly different than GP but for my residency and first real job interviews I'm still wearing my suit. And then changing into facility scrubs for tours and then back into the suit. Only one chance for a first impression and all that.

Even though I'm not a GP, if I were I think I'd still be wearing a suit to interviews. I'd want them to know I'm taking this job opportunity seriously. If it's a working interview you can always swap out the suit jacket for a white coat. Just my two cents. Probably different in the large animal arena too.

But you do you, if it sounds uncomfortably over dressed you have to use your professional judgement :)

I wore a blazer and slacks to my first in-person interviews, so a suit would be appropriate. Most of the initial interviews were lunches/dinners and a tour of the facilities, meeting the staff. No white coat. I asked what they wanted for follow-up working interviews, since different places have different dress codes.
Slightly different than GP but for my residency and first real job interviews I'm still wearing my suit. And then changing into facility scrubs for tours and then back into the suit. Only one chance for a first impression and all that.

Even though I'm not a GP, if I were I think I'd still be wearing a suit to interviews. I'd want them to know I'm taking this job opportunity seriously. If it's a working interview you can always swap out the suit jacket for a white coat. Just my two cents. Probably different in the large animal arena too.

But you do you, if it sounds uncomfortably over dressed you have to use your professional judgement :)

Thanks you guys! Not that I have an interview in the near future but I wanted to get a feel for it anyhow. I really appreciate the advice! Now I gotta find a suit.

I'm with the traditionalists here.

I participated in a 3 minute thesis competition last week and the girl who took 1st was wearing skinny jeans. She still won, but you can bet EVERYONE was talking about it. There was a professional dress code. If you do the "wear what's comfortable" thing you might still be successful in your interview or speaking competition or whatever, but you'll also be the subject of "can you believe what she was wearing?" gossip. Also: why take the chance?
Hmm.

I am also in the more traditional camp for my personal choices for interview attire itself (although I look terrible in pant suits so I wear conservative, "corporate-style" dresses in solid, neutral colors)... but I disagree that the possibility for incurring gossip is a reason to fret over something that small. Unless your outfit was chosen deliberately to shock and offend people, it's petty and ill-mannered for other people to act like a bunch of Mean Girls about it, so nuts to them for feeling insecure enough to need to do that.

I also feel it's inappropriate to equate fashion choices with competence, unless the outfit makes people actively uncomfortable. Honestly, props to whoever was judging that competition -- women in the sciences have enough obstacles without people saying she won "even though she wore" xyz thing.

(I also am of the opinion that nicely tailored jeans can look a heck of a lot more professional than a crummy fitting suit, but I come from a world where CEOs make board presentations in graphic tees or black turtlenecks. Interestingly, they are still massively successful for other reasons, like I dunno... aptitude and motivation and stuff.)

...That said, please don't take this as my advice to "wear whatever" to an interview, because it's important to err on the side of conveying respect and you only have one shot, and I don't work in admissions.