1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Interview Attire

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by WaffleDoc, Aug 11, 2011.

1. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Since it seems like interview season is in full swing, I wanted to discuss interview attire. Because I'm a girl and that's what I do, duh.

But anyway. I feel like for men, it's pretty simple: suit. But for women, there are just so many different types of suits that I got kind of overwhelmed when I went shopping today, lol. Is a skirt suit with short sleeves too casual? It's a legit suit, but I'm worried about the fact that my arms and calves are showing - is that a no-no? And how high are too high of heels?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. redheadedpoet

Medical Student
    My advice:
    DO go with something you want to wear and have it show your personality. Want to wear a legit suit with short sleeves? Go for it. Interviewers see black suit after black suit after black suit walk through their door. The important thing is that you feel comfortable in your clothes, that you feel powerful/smart/intelligent/professional in your clothes, and that the attitude you're projecting is "I'm a doctor," not "Sometimes I watch House."

About the heels? If you can't walk, they're too high. Really, I would go with a simple pump or something. I always do flats for several reasons. 1) I don't trust myself to not make an ass of myself in heels. 2) Often, interview days make you run all over the hospital and I don't want to limp into an interview. 3) They have that sensible, "I could jump into a mega-code right now if you needed me to" air about them. That being said, heels make your ass look better. So it's up to you :)

4. Helen Wheels

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you were interviewing during the recent heat wave I wouldn't fault you for a short sleeve suit but I think for a fall/winter/early spring interview with cooler weather long sleeves would be best. Skirt should not be too high above the knee. With the heels you want to keep in mind that at every interview you are getting a tour and will traipse around all over the place. There will be a lot of walking around so you don't want to be teetering around in stilettos - wear comfortable shoes.

One final note: Everyone will be in black. Pick another color to help yourself stand out. Stick to a conservative dark color like blue or brown or grey, though. I wore a navy outfit and it worked for me. Best of luck to everyone this interview season!

5. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical

Those were the two points I was considering when I thought about heels vs flats haha. That, and I just love an excuse to wear heels. :D I still have about a month to decide, though, so shoe shopping can wait, I guess..

The skirt actually hits right at my knee, so not too hussy-like, no worries! And I was told that black was the way to go, but I was thinking along the same lines as you; everyone's gonna be in black. :/ I dunno. Maybe a black suit with a blouse that pops? Or a snazzy little belt? Hmm.

6. Helen Wheels

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wear what makes you feel confident! ;)

7. LifeTake2

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I am loathe to do this, but go look in pre-allo. There are two large gender-specific threads going on interview dress.

8. scummie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At one of my interviews there was an extremely tan girl with a really tight pencil skirt on. It had a huge slit in the back. You definitely saw butt when she walked.

Don't be that girl.

She also said she used to be a professional dancer or something....Wonder what happened to her.

Anyways, be comfortable. I'd say no more than 2.5 inch heels. You guys will do a ton of walking. To stand out from everyone else, you could wear a red, blue or gray blouse. Maybe even a pink one? The key thing is to dress conservatively. You don't want much of your knees to show.

The most important thing to bring is a smile!

9. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OP here are the links for the women's and men's threads.

10. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    :laugh:

Thank you! I couldn't find it when I was looking a couple of days ago lol.

11. spiffybob57

Pre-Medical
    http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=1cb5c21&DeptID=71275&CatID=74258&PCatID=74258&SearchRedirect=True&NOffset=0&Ne=4+3+1031+18+904+833+949&N=4294944619&CatTyp=RLE&Dep=JUNIORS&SO=0&Cat=B+Wear&Nao=0&PSO=0&cmAMS_T=XGN3&cmAMS_C=MERCHA&cmAMS_Z=XGN3TOPOFRESULTS&CmCatId=searchresults

Is this considered to be a "legit" suit? I think it is, but I wanted to make sure because this is what I'm wearing to my interview on Friday (minus the weird white blouse underneath and flats instead of heels).

I never had the need to ask before, but now I'm getting paranoid about my outfit, lol.

12. scummie

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah dude, no stress. Just as long as you're wearing something under the jacket you should be set, haha.