Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pegasus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
My first interview is on Thursday with UNC. I bought a pants outfit...is this ok for females now? I got it b/c Ill be up north interviewing in January, and I figured I might be a bit warmer in pants, but part of me feels that I still need to do the traditional skirt.

Any thoughts?

Pegasus

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread in the General Residency Issues not too long ago, go search there, it might not be on the first or second page though..

Q, DO

i read somewhere that PDs like female applicants to look more feminine. i don't know if this means that you should wear a skirt, however. haha, there was this relatively hot female interviewee at an interview yesterday, who the attendings and residents were fawning over. i guess it pays to look like quinn.

on another note, there was this poor guy who was wearing a black suit, white socks and black sneakers. pretty funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
generally i'd say for emergency medicine, it's totally fine to wear pant suits.

i did and so did the majority of females i interviewed with. wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and thus makes you look more confident. other fields may be more traditional (IM, SURG, etc) but in a field where "dress up" is wearing khakis to work vs. scrubs... pant suits are fine.

I wore a pants suit as well. As long as its not fuscia... *g*

I wore a skirt suit, and i interviewed in both Chicago and NYC in January while it was snowing. Honestly, if its the cold that changed your mind, wearing the right coat, scarf, and stockings makes you less susceptible to the weather. That goes for anything, whether you're going to an interview, the club, or a party. Plus, you're really not going to be outside that much. A lot of people I interview with in the north wore skirts. As sad as it sounds, I say if you look good in a skirt, go for it...thats not to say it should matter, but in retrospect there are programs that have mostly good-looking residents, and I doubt thats a coincidence...

i matched into EM 2 years ago, and wore a pants suit to every interview. i interviewed east coast and chicago. i'd say about half of the women wore pants. it is just more practical with all the walking and with the cold weather. i think EM is much more laid back about this than other specialties. don't worry about it - just look professional and have a good attitude.
good luck.