interview attires for the girls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

What are appriopriate and resonable interview attires for the girls? (Please don't take the question sarcastically...I am serious)

For guys, it is easy: black suits.

But for girls: pant suits or skirt suits. What color? Hair? Shoes?...

Members don't see this ad.

bathing suits are very appropriate...

I think the best is a suit. Color really isn't an issue, but wear a conservative color. Skirt or pants doesn't matter. Make sure the skirt isn't too high.
I have seen girls in interviews wear tight black pants that people wear in the clubs with a nice sweater. I once saw a girl wear a long flower skirt with a tanktop and leather jacket!!!! I'm not quite sure if it was appropriate or not, but they looked out of place compared to everyone else. Just wear a suit to be on the safe side. Shoes--a nice heel...nothing too tall. Hair--up or down, it's up to you. If you paint your nails, do a light shade or a clear coat. Don't forget to smile a lot during the interview and tour!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Here you go, you'll be a shoe in!

tooth5.jpg

you can do a search on interview attire on google or yahoo...
i think one of the rules was to wear shoes w/ something less than 2 inch heels
skirt to the knee or lower
pantyhose
it looks more professional if your hairs not in your face...
well kept nails/hands...(remember you're in dentistry...your hands are important)
light on make up
cover tatoos/piercings
no big jewerly

i wore a skirt suit w/ either a white or blue shirt (i think i did red once cause it was the school color and i was bored of the other two color). My cousin borrowed my suit and she got into Opt school...so it worked for the both of us :) Just be yourself :)

Once again, Stargirl is right.

On a few of my interviews there were some girls who came in wearing less than appropriate attire. Not that i minded seeing their cleavage, (as a patient having their chest in my face probably would distract any pain) but i dont think thats the impression they needed to put forth.
At one of my interviews a girl came in wearing an amazingly sexy dress which was wonderful if she was going out for dinner and wanted someone to propose to her, but at an interview it was a No-no.
Also i think as far a suits go for a girl either work but if you're going for the skirt (i know some of the schools like that) make sure the skirt is knee length. nothign too short. No Daisy-dukes (unfortunately....sigh).

If all else fails, Killbot is onto something. I think that will work guy, girl or Pat (from SNL).

All the best. Oh yea at your interview girls who look professional are HOT.

The guidelines are very simple really.

Dental schools are professional institutions. You are seeking to join a profession by getting into a dental school.

Ergo, dress professionally!

Show up in a nice business suit and you won't go wrong (as far as attire goes).

Good luck!

This is a great question that I was wondering about, and the responses have really helped. There's one thing that's kind of bugging me though when you guys mention suits. Now, I have nice pinstriped pants and a white blouse, and I have tons of nice skirts, but do I need to have the suit jacket to really pull off the look? Or should I have assumed that you all meant the bottoms of suits?I'm kind of hoping for the latter, suit jackets for women scare me. Especially ones with shoulder pads :laugh:

Most females wear the whole entire suit, including the jacket.
Just to be on the safe side, I think you should buy a full suit.
Shoulder pads--cutt them out if you don't like the look.:p

i would go w/ a complete set... You want to look your best. OHHH one other thing...

i don't think female's are suppose to take off their jacket either... it's suppose to be unprofessional... so unfortunately even if it's hot you shouldn't take it off :( you should always have your suit buttoned as well...

Oh yeah...I read for work interviews some people never hire female that wear pant suit (because it's not ladylike etc) but I don't know how if this has naything to do w/ dental interviews

For Petite's and thin people:
if you have trouble finding a suit...you might want to try petite's sophistcate (spelling?). they have a pretty decent selection...but not as nice as BR or bebe etc

Adding to Stargirls list:
Express and The Limited are good for a variety of body types.
Since some of their suits have that cool stretchy material,
the suits conform to your shape. This saves you from future alterations because the stretchy material makes every part of the suit look fitted.
The prices aren't that bad either. :)

At each of my interviews all the girls (me included) wore a pants suit. Some wore it with the jacket buttoned up and some wore it open. As far as hair goes some wore it up and some wore it down-the most impt thing is looking well groomed. Also for shoes I would recommend something comfortable since you usually have to walk around a bit (for the tour and so forth). Also you should be light with the make-up. There was one girl at my Boston interview who wore a bright aqua colored sweater with bright aqua eye shadow. After her interview she told the group that her interview revolved around how her eye shadow matched her sweater.

Anyway if you are looking for a classic suit you should also try Ann Taylor and Brooks Brothers.