Interview Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRAZYTERP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had my first interview today at UMD in Bmore and I loved the school! I was pretty nervous leading up to the interview day and practciced qquestions and did my research on the school so I wasnt too bad today. Actually I was pretty happy going in. Some of my close friends from undergrad go there and I went with them to class and to anatomy lab. I was worried but it was soooo cool. I know I am a dork but hey I figure it's ok.

Anyways, I had two interview and my first one went well except for the fact that he decided to ask me where else I was applying and I mean I was honest. I told him I applied to over 20 schools and then he asked which ones. I thought this was strange but I told him and then he asked if I had any other interviews. I told him I had a few but at the same time I was kinda weirded out by it. I mean does anyone else think thats odd? I just hope he wasnt thuinking I would prob get in somewhere else so he shouldnt offer me acceptance.

Further, during my second interview I was asked why i would NOT want to be a doctor. I was totally unprepared for that question. After talking to my interviewer for a bit I realized he wanted me to start talking about healthcare and the problems facing it. I started to talk about what i thought were problems (such as doctors having their hands tied in certaion instances by the HMO) and then he started telling me how all these recent graduates think they can save the world because they are so idealistic and that it is not that realistic to do. Then he asked me what i would do if I were King for a day, I mean how would I save Healthcare? I was like I am that idealistic kid, i mean I am working for habitat for humanity during my year off for god's sake!

I told him I would give everyone healthcare. Somehow, before I knew it this interview got very strange. We talked more and I think I came off as somewhat intelligent.. or at least I hope I did, but now I am worried. I mean the rest of the interview was GREAT! Just this this one blemish and a very weird one at that. I dunno if anyone can respond to this but I needed to get this off my chest and share my feelings of complete and utter confusion with everyone.

BTW UMAB is incredible. I would totally tell everyone to go there. Bmore is an awesome place and the kids loved the school!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you did fine. In the first interview, although I would not have said exactly how many schools I applied to, I don't think it's exactly news to adcoms that people are applying to lots of schools. I hope you stressed how much you loved the school. As far as the second interview, it sounds like you actually had an interesting discussion, which I would think would work in your favor.

P.S. Have you sent your thank-you notes yet? ;)

Congrats on your interview. UMD in Baltimore is great. It's a nice program, and it's next to an awesome Ballpark... actually two. :) Raven's stadium and Camden Yards.

Sounds like you did well in the interviews. When I applied to medical school, every school asked me where I applied and if I had acceptances already. During residency interviews, I was asked the same question. Interviewers like to know what other schools they have to compete against to get the good students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouraging words. Having had a day to synthesize my interviews I am a little more optimistic. Good luck to everyone in their interview as well!!!

From what I know, asking what other schools you've applied to is a common question. The adcoms don't know, and I think that the best way to handle the question is honestly, like you did.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it - it sounds like you did fine.

I too thought that the schools did not have a list of schools that I had applied to.

But three of my interviewers at different schools, knew the complete list of schools I applied to. I am not sure where they get it from, but do not assume that information is secret.

I definitely won't assume that adcoms don't know where I applied, but--cabruen--i want to point out that you have posted all of your schools on your website that clearly marks your name so interviewers could easily get the list...from your website, we see you've had great success so far so congrats!

athena21 --

OK fair point. They certainly could have got it from my web site, but that strikes me as highly unlikely. That would imply a high level of initiative on their part, that I doubt their time allows.

Nevertheless, for me personally, I did not mind the questions. I am unapologetic about why I applied to so many schools (thank you Dr. Foxy) and I explained my reasons to the interviewers that asked. None of them indicated they considered it a negative. I was just just surprised that they had the information. Sort of like if I was asked "Why did you chose to buy a silver Honda Accord?" Clearly not a question tha I mind, but surprising that they would know enough to ask the question.

While I may have a unique situation, may general advice is never lie to the admissions committee, because they may know more than you think they do.