Interview Blunders and Mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At one of my interviews last year, I was given a hypothetical situation where I had to prioritize a list of 5 things a pharmacist may be bombarded with at a retail pharmacy. I had a brain fart so as I listed my order of the way I would handle the situations, but I totally forgot what 2 of the options were. One of the interviewers asked me what about the other options? It took me another 15-20 sec before I remembered. :( I think I may have fallen just short of acceptance and onto the waitlist.

At that same interview, I couldn't tell which of the two interviewers was the student and which was the professor. Both looked about the same age!!

I'm sure you guys have great stories also :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i started to say that had been working in retail for the past 3 years and i was asked if i would continue to work in retail after i got out. :( i said, "hmm well i dont think i would work in retail because there is not much to do and i feel like there is not really any way i can apply my knowledge to help patients to retail." needless to say, one of my interviewers said, wow i work in retail on the weekends and we do etc etc etc :scared: of course i didnt get in

i started to say that had been working in retail for the past 3 years and i was asked if i would continue to work in retail after i got out. :( i said, "hmm well i dont think i would work in retail because there is not much to do and i feel like there is not really any way i can apply my knowledge to help patients to retail." needless to say, one of my interviewers said, wow i work in retail on the weekends and we do etc etc etc :scared: of course i didnt get in

I was asked that same question in every interview. I even went a little further and said I would rather not live than spend the rest of my life handing out insulin and statins.

Where you screwed up is that you left it at that. Interviewers could care less what type of pharmacist you want to be. They want to see how well you organize cohesive arguments and opinions. You should have followed through with talking about the problems with community pharmacy and what needs to be done to correct them, what type of pharmacy you are interested in and how it differs from community, blah , blah... c'mon, thats interview taking 101.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked that same question in every interview. I even went a little further and said I would rather not live than spend the rest of my life handing out insulin and statins.
Where you screwed up is that you left it at that. Interviewers could care less what type of pharmacist you want to be. They want to see how well you organize cohesive arguments and opinions. You should have followed through with talking about the problems with community pharmacy and what needs to be done to correct them, what type of pharmacy you are interested in and how it differs from community, blah , blah... c'mon, thats interview taking 101.

I'd say that's a very narrow view of retail, and wouldn't consider it a very knowledgeable position to take, at least not considering my retail experience. But then again, we dispense transplant meds, RA meds, and chemo among other things a little less benign than statins/insulin. As an interviewer, it wouldn't sit well with me.

I'd say that's a very narrow view of retail, and wouldn't consider it a very knowledgeable position to take, at least not considering my retail experience. But then again, we dispense transplant meds, RA meds, and chemo among other things a little less benign than statins/insulin. As an interviewer, it wouldn't sit well with me.

I was being facetious... I know there is more to retail than giving away nuva rings and lexapro, but in the several years I was in retail that is all I saw. Then again I worked in a really slow store and the pharmacist spent the majority of his time napping or practicing his golf swing in the back (no joke). Point is I'm not impressed with retail and would never enter that field. Thats just me.

The whole point of my original post is to advice the other poster against giving yes/no answers during interviews like he did, and DEFINTELY never blast community pharmacy without giving valid reasons/explanations.

You guys gotta chill out and not get so offended by any smirky comment that gets put up here.

I accused my U of Hilo interviewer of being a telemarketer during an interview. He asked me if I was me and I said "no, you have the wrong number". So I basically lied to him right at the beginning. On top of that, I forgot what time the interview would be at so I was outside when he called so I had to rush back home and call him back 20 minutes later.

So yeah, I accused them of being a telemarketer, lied and was late by 20 minutes. And I still got in :laugh:

I told one of my interviewers at SJF that I'm easy.

Interviewer: "List some of your positive attributes"

Me: "Well I'm easy, I get along well with others...."

What I meant to say is that I'm easy to get along with...

oooops! I still got in :)

last year, i was so stupid and beyond nervous....one thing led to another and i ended up saying "i want to buy out walgreens" or something along those lines. yeaaaaaa

This really isn't a blunder that the interviewers picked up on, but I realized the amount of stress I was under during the interview when I realized I had made this mistake:

The interviewers asked me whether I was the first in my family to go into health care. I said yes, but that my grandfather wanted to go to med school but couldn't afford it. I completely forgot that my grandmother was a nurse! Granted, nursing wasn't as much health care back then as it is today. There was a lot of making beds and rubbing lotion on patients' backs at night. However, I couldn't believe that I forgot that!

Interviews are definitely stressful.

That could be awkward if you end up going there and run into that interviewer later... ;)

Well if you're easy I would expect that you would get along with others :D j/k :laugh::laugh::laugh:

This was a med school interview, but it still counts as a blunder. I was asked, "If there was one thing about you that you could change, what would it be?" My answer? "My teeth!"

Didn't get in.

Second blunder: I was at a graduate school interview, when I learned that apparently, one of my recommenders had mentioned that I applied to medical, pharmacy, and graduate school. My interviewer then asked, "So, since you applied to all three, how can I be sure that you're serious about coming here?"

Didn't get in there also.

Oddly enough, I never bombed any of my pharmacy school interviews. But I'm a grad student now, go figure.

I was being facetious... I know there is more to retail than giving away nuva rings and lexapro, but in the several years I was in retail that is all I saw. Then again I worked in a really slow store and the pharmacist spent the majority of his time napping or practicing his golf swing in the back (no joke). Point is I'm not impressed with retail and would never enter that field. Thats just me.

The whole point of my original post is to advice the other poster against giving yes/no answers during interviews like he did, and DEFINTELY never blast community pharmacy without giving valid reasons/explanations.

You guys gotta chill out and not get so offended by any smirky comment that gets put up here.

Sorry, facetiousness got lost in the web. It happens. I wasn't offended, perhaps just a little more coarse in my reply than I may have otherwise been, had I caught the sarcasm/facetiousness.

Members don't see this ad :)
First Interview: Gave one of the interviewers my "evil squinty eye" when he asked me why I hadnt submitted my grades, personal essay, etc. Dur...if Im here you should already have it?! Got in. :laugh:

Second Interview: Was so nervous I started rambling. Thank god I caught myself, stopped, apologized for rambling but explained I was excited and summarized my point. Got in. :laugh::scared:

Interviewing at UoP.

Interviewer: So Anthony, we all know about the rise in crime in Pharmacies sweeping the nation. What would you do if someone was attempting to abscond with controlled items?

My response: Shoot them, obviously.

I was joking, and they knew I was in the military. Still didn't go over well, even in dirty-ass Stockton.

I wish this was like law school where you didn't have to do interviews. Just send in your grades, ECs, essay and LSAT scores and you're in or you're not.

Interviewing at UoP.

Interviewer: So Anthony, we all know about the rise in crime in Pharmacies sweeping the nation. What would you do if someone was attempting to abscond with controlled items?

I was joking, and they knew I was in the military. Still didn't go over well, even in dirty-ass Stockton.

I wish this was like law school where you didn't have to do interviews. Just send in your grades, ECs, essay and LSAT scores and you're in or you're not.

Haha nice. I tried to incorporate humor into my interview as well because its part of who I am but due to the nervousness I think I might have went a little far as well. Luckily I must not have screwed up that bad.

Also when asked about why I wanted to go to the U of M I listed a handful of good reasons then also remarked that it was a great school and ranked third in the nation. This was fine but then I went farther and said I can't wait for us to take #1!!!, being partially facetious. Lol then shes like, yeah I doubt that will happen. Shes right but I was just trying to show some school spirit damnit. Haha I felt a little stupid but oh well.

And I'm kinda glad they do interviews. They aren't fun but they call out the tools and robots with no people skills that will most likely spend their pharmacy careers hiding from their patients. :thumbdown:

Interviewing at UoP.

that's hilarious! you should have thrown in "tough crowd..." :D

I threw an F-bomb out there during one of my interviews. Didn't get in.

that's hilarious! you should have thrown in "tough crowd..." :D

I was a little too embarassed by the absolutely silent atmosphere for about the next 20 seconds.
:sleep:

Haha nice. I tried to incorporate humor into my interview as well because its part of who I am but due to the nervousness I think I might have went a little far as well. Luckily I must not have screwed up that bad.

I am also a very sarcastic, facetious person who has spent the last 4 years bottled up into a tiny shell so naturally, it wishes to roam free!

Humor is always good during the interview.

During my UF interview I mentioned one of the reasons I want to attend UF is because my fiancee's entire family went to FSU and despise the Gators, and couldn't wait to see their faces when I walk into their house at Thanksgiving decked out in my Gator gear.

Interviewing at UoP.

I thought you were applying next year? OR did you already apply this year to UoP?

Hahaha maybe they liked the sound of that. ;)
Hehe just kidding, but that's hilarious. Definitely sounds like something I would do.

I thought you were applying next year? OR did you already apply this year to UoP?

I am trying for the one-app, one-acceptance, or was anyway.

I need work on my ECs and obviously my interview. Grades/PCAT were excellent Veronica says but I didn't have enough Pharmacy experience at the time.

It was mostly a shot in the dark - An, "If I get accepted, cool. If not, whatever." Since I never planned to matriculate until 2010, regardless.

We had several mini interviews where they would sound a tone in the room when the interview was over. On the first two, when the tone sounded I said my goodbye and thank you and exited. When I got out most of the other people were standing outside their rooms also. On the third one, when the tone sounded, said my goodbye and got up to leave and he said, "Wait, I'm not done. Sit down." So....I sat down and he asked another question and I answered quickly. He just seemed obviously insulted that I would get up to leave before he said the interview was over. I got it though, so I guess I probably thought it was a bigger deal than he did.

Group interview-
Interviewer: "So let's say you just graduated and passed the boards, so you're working in a pharmacy, and you get that first big fat paycheck. Besides paying off loans, what would you spend it on?"

Interviewees 1-5: Different iterations of "I'd donate it to the church" or "I'd give it to my family."

Me: "I'd put it towards buying a corvette... Just kidding. But not really... No, I'm kidding... But I'm not."

The other interviewees laughed, but the interviewers just sat there all stonefaced and scribbled away. I got in after a lengthy bout on the waitlist though, so it's cool.

Group interview-
Interviewer: "So let's say you just graduated and passed the boards, so you're working in a pharmacy, and you get that first big fat paycheck. Besides paying off loans, what would you spend it on?"

Interviewees 1-5: Different iterations of "I'd donate it to the church" or "I'd give it to my family."

Me: "I'd put it towards buying a corvette... Just kidding. But not really... No, I'm kidding... But I'm not."

The other interviewees laughed, but the interviewers just sat there all stonefaced and scribbled away. I got in after a lengthy bout on the waitlist though, so it's cool.

I would've immediately formed a hatred towards those 5 other interviewees if I were on the admissions committee. Seriously. "I'd donate all of my spare money to church"? Spare me. That's the kind of blatant phoney, money-driven suck-assery that makes pharmacy vets hate the current crop of pre-pharmers. At least you're being honest, if not modest. I'd rather my pharmacist shoot straight than blow sunshine up my ass anyway.

Well, apartments here are $1500-$2500/month, so it's not a very economical choice.

Wow, the area you live in sucks. :smuggrin:

I've never in my life seen a one-bedroom apartment go for more than $800 a month. It's considerably less around my hometown.

Wow, the area you live in sucks. :smuggrin:

I've never in my life seen a one-bedroom apartment go for more than $800 a month. It's considerably less around my hometown.

It's actually a really nice area, that's why it's expensive. :)

1BDR are more like $1200, but I'm not single, and I have multiple animals, so they're not very practical for me.

It's actually a really nice area, that's why it's expensive. :)

1BDR are more like $1200, but I'm not single, and I have multiple animals, so they're not very practical for me.

Oh yeah, having something destructive with a mind of its own makes the renting situation more complicated.

The pets probably don't help either. :smuggrin:

Group interview-

I think interviewers 1-5 are full of ****
I would have said buy a house/apartment and then give some to my father so he can retire (thought he might already be at that point) or at least buy a new tv or something

But I think saying you're going to give it all away is bull. You might give some away to the church or family, but not all of it.

you never answered... so why exactly did you drop an f-bomb again?

Because I swear a lot. It was the "tell us about a team you worked with someone who didn't pull their weight" question. And the guy to whom my answer was describing was a ****ing idiot.

Because I swear a lot. It was the "tell us about a team you worked with someone who didn't pull their weight" question. And the guy to whom my answer was describing was a ****ing idiot.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I understand, I swear a lot too. I try not to in public but sometimes you can't help yourself :laugh::laugh:

My story's setting is at Western University(an interview of 2 ppl: 1 faculty person and an alumni of the school)

Faculty guy: "We're almost out of time... Do you have another question to ask us.. you can only ask one.."

Me-(looking at my list of questions, and trying to choose one. I couldn't think of which one to ask, so I made one up on the spot- I wanted to be dangerous, adventurous, ballsy)

"How did I do on the interview?"

SILENCE... cricket cricket..

The alumni person, who wasn't smiling at all up til this point, was about to burst out laughing.

Faculty guy: "Uhhh...we can't answer that question right now.... You'll find out in ~2wks.

I was put on their wait list.

Last edited:
Interviewer: "Can you please describe the Pharmacy?"

Me: "Excuse me?"

Interviewer: "Describe the place that you worked at"

Me: "Umm the place has a pharmacist, a few pharm tech's, drugs and computers..."

ha ha ha apparently he was asking me about my experiences at the pharmacy and not to literally describe the pharmacy. I was just so nervous since it was my first interview ever and I didn't take the time to think about the question.

Waitlisted...but that was like two application cycles ago.

Group interview-

At least you are planning on spending your paycheck on something fun. Mine is going towards paying off loans. All of it. There won't be anything left for something nice until those loans get paid.