Interview Clothes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about interview clothes for next year... and I'm wondering if my choice of tie and shirt might not be conservative enough.

Also, is highlighted hair a no-no?

I like the tie and the shirt, dunno about the rest though.
Does the Tie and Shirt look ok?

Also, there's the red ties with the diagonal stripes... those might look nice too.

red tie

UGH I'm aweful with choosing clothes that actually match. How did you guys choose your clothes?

Members don't see this ad.

You poor thing .... I'm calling the Fab Five right now!

Don't put vertical stripes against diagonal ones for your interview suit....for gods sake, what are you thinking?

Try diagonal against a solid color. And remember! You can always use your tie as a sassy belt when the interview season is over! And don't forget the product for your hair.

Oh my god Carson what have you done to me!:scared:

that suit and those ties are snazzy! I wish I bought those for my interviews. Basically, I just wore what I found in my closet and I borrowed my brother's blue tie. But the red one in the picture looks sweet! I'd go for it, man!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Brickhouse
You poor thing .... I'm calling the Fab Five right now!

Don't put vertical stripes against diagonal ones for your interview suit....for gods sake, what are you thinking?

Try diagonal against a solid color. And remember! You can always use your tie as a sassy belt when the interview season is over! And don't forget the product for your hair.

Oh my god Carson what have you done to me!:scared:

Yeah, just the red tie and a solid color might be conservative enough, yet still stand out and look nice.

How about just a white shirt but the bright diagonally striped tie?

Red says "Look at me! I'm fabulous!" It says "I'm not gonna take any of your BS so don't go shovellin' it my way!!"

Red declares your presence to the crowd; it screams for all to hear "I AM THE MAN!!".

Yeah....you have my permission to wear the red. :D

Originally posted by Brickhouse
Red says "Look at me! I'm fabulous!" It says "I'm not gonna take any of your BS so don't go shovellin' it my way!!"

Red declares your presence to the crowd; it screams for all to hear "I AM THE MAN!!".

Yeah....you have my permission to wear the red. :D

Ma'am, thank you! Now, I just need those fab five to give me a make over...

That first link... wow. Perhaps if you move around quickly your interviewer will be struck down by an epileptic seizure. I mean... damn.

This is a job interview, not a chance to show how "fabulous" you are. :p The second link is the way to go.

Originally posted by Peterock
That first link... wow. Perhaps if you move around quickly your interviewer will be struck down by an epileptic seizure. I mean... damn.

This is a job interview, not a chance to show how "fabulous" you are. :p The second link is the way to go.

Personally, I always get a blue tie to amplify my icy blue eyed gaze.

You should go to Express

Click on "men" in the "must haves" section. The shirt that first appears is amazing. So many colors...and so pretty.

are you serious?

are you all really serious???

you HAVE to be kidding me.

WHO WEARS BANANA AND EXPRESS TO A MED SCHOOL INTERVIEW?

you wear express when you go clubbing and you wear banana when you go country clubbing.

you wear MENS WEARHOUSE when you go to a medical school interview!!

sheeeesh i feel like i'm in crazy-ville

What about just wearing hospital clothes to your interview - neutral, and not too formal?

Mens wearhouse?? How about Saks Fifth Ave. or at least Macy's Men's Store?

armani or boss.

i dont know about ya'll but my med school interviews happen BEFORE i become a doctor (with a doctor's salary)

Members don't see this ad :)
haha I went with a plain old suit from Daffy's (the cheap place across from Macy's) ~150-200

regular old solid black with a dark red tie.

pretty bland but yeah vertical stripes with diagonal would look bad...

Ham, most of the successful applicants here on SDN wore something like this.

dumbanddumberorange.gif

Cooper man, that outfit is SO MONEY. I would totally wear that and flex my unique style, it'd cause an on-the-spot acceptance to occur, esp with the Harvard Crimson

Where I come from, guys are supposed to wear suits. I rarely saw anyone deviate from this out on my interviews.

Just FYI.

Yo. I dont care. I'll probably wear really intense designer couture like Gucci or Emporio Armani (Armani Collezioni) suit. It'll be great but interviews are 2 years away from me so its not a problem. I like those coutures though.

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Ham, most of the successful applicants here on SDN wore something like this.

dumbanddumberorange.gif

Whoa that's an eye catching outfit. Hopefully I'll remember it when I prep for my interviews in the fall.

Originally posted by lesstalkmorock
are you serious?

are you all really serious???

you HAVE to be kidding me.

WHO WEARS BANANA AND EXPRESS TO A MED SCHOOL INTERVIEW?

you wear express when you go clubbing and you wear banana when you go country clubbing.

you wear MENS WEARHOUSE when you go to a medical school interview!!

sheeeesh i feel like i'm in crazy-ville

Heh, I've never gone clubbing.... I can make my interviews more enjoyable by acting like it's a "clubbing" experience.

Originally posted by hamhamfan
Whoa that's an eye catching outfit. Hopefully I'll remember it when I prep for my interviews in the fall.

Heh, I've never gone clubbing.... I can make my interviews more enjoyable by acting like it's a "clubbing" experience.

trust me, youre not missing out on much.

Hello,

Although it may seem important to you what color/pattern your shirt and tie are, allow me to share what I think are more important things about guy's dress that many men on my interviews failed at:

1. Wear a suit, with jacket and pants that are the exact same color & material, that is made of a nice wool-based material (not stretchy express fabric).

2. Make sure the suit has a perfect fit!! This means going to a store where a sales clerk will help you try on suits and that offers alteration service. The suit should be black or dark blue. If it has pinstripes, they should be SUBTLE, not like something al capone would wear.

3. Wear BUSINESS shoes, not clubbing shoes (like those dumb chunky clunky black loafers that every guy our age has).

4. Iron your shirt and tuck it in.

5. For the love of god, do not wear white/light colored socks! Dress socks, people, dress socks.

6. You do not need to go out and buy a briefcase--you won't take everything with you to the interview, they have places to leave your stuff. Just have a nice leather padfolio to carry with you.

7. I would lay off the highlights, especially if you are asian or some ethnicity that doesn't naturally get highlights... You will inevitably get some 70 year old cardiologist who is bewildered by today's youth and wouldn't understand why that young man's hair was lighter in some areas. (This happened to me in an interview a week after I got my hair highlighted--his eyes kept darting up to my hair)

Hope this helps!

One of the first questions that I had at one of my interviews was "Where did you get your suit." So maybe it is important:confused:

Originally posted by Please!
One of the first questions that I had at one of my interviews was "Where did you get your suit." So maybe it is important:confused:

Was your suit really nice or different?
That is just weird.

I thought my suit was pretty standard. I am a woman; I had a black, knee-length skirt suit with subtle navy blue pinstripes and a white shirt. I actually got it from Ann Taylor. I think he just wanted to make conversation...I don't know. Personally, I thought I looked really sexy in my suit and perhaps he sensed that;)

Originally posted by No Egrets
Hello,

Although it may seem important to you what color/pattern your shirt and tie are, allow me to share what I think are more important things about guy's dress that many men on my interviews failed at:

1. Wear a suit, with jacket and pants that are the exact same color & material, that is made of a nice wool-based material (not stretchy express fabric).

2. Make sure the suit has a perfect fit!! This means going to a store where a sales clerk will help you try on suits and that offers alteration service. The suit should be black or dark blue. If it has pinstripes, they should be SUBTLE, not like something al capone would wear.

3. Wear BUSINESS shoes, not clubbing shoes (like those dumb chunky clunky black loafers that every guy our age has).

4. Iron your shirt and tuck it in.

5. For the love of god, do not wear white/light colored socks! Dress socks, people, dress socks.

6. You do not need to go out and buy a briefcase--you won't take everything with you to the interview, they have places to leave your stuff. Just have a nice leather padfolio to carry with you.

7. I would lay off the highlights, especially if you are asian or some ethnicity that doesn't naturally get highlights... You will inevitably get some 70 year old cardiologist who is bewildered by today's youth and wouldn't understand why that young man's hair was lighter in some areas. (This happened to me in an interview a week after I got my hair highlighted--his eyes kept darting up to my hair)

Hope this helps!

No Egrets, you are right on with every point. I am by no means a fashion expert but I have worked in a high end retail store for four years and feel like I have a pretty good hand on fashion. I can't tell you how many guys I saw wearing those 80's looking blue sport coats with gold buttons and khaki pants. Get real, that look is so out dated. And then to top it off they either have white socks on or aren't sporting a tie. I would reject just for that if I was the adcom. Here is what I would recommend.

1. Black or blue suit only, maybe charcoal if its dark enough.

2. Pinstripes are fine but not too loud like NO Egrets stated. It is nice to have a little jazz to the suit though. If you are going with a solid color try to find something with a unique stitch like a herring bone pattern or something. This helps to create texture to your suit. Window pains are nice, but often times too sporty like the bold pin stripes. Keep them subtle.

3. For ties, one thing to know, "YOUR TIE MAKES YOUR OUTFIT. IT IS WHAT TELLS YOUR STORY PER-SAY". The rule of thumb is anything in the blue family is generaly a winner. Red tends to show power, and since you aren't the adcom and just a mere applicant I would avoid it. If you do want to do red then maybe a lighter, less bold shade would work. Don't do black with a black suit. You aren't going to a wedding or a funeral. I would not wear stripes myself, because it is a more conservative look but most people do so you'll see it a lot. Don't roll with anything outlandish or bold. You wan't people to acknowledge your tie but not stair at it or be blinded by it. I myself went with something very modern but simple. If you want to see what is hip and very trendy in the tie market I would recommend going to Neiman Marcus. Yes, I know it is super exspensive, but those guys are on top of the fashion world. Go there for ideas and then shop around for better deals.

One more key thing about ties. Suit ties are woven and NOT screened printed like most of you probably have now in your closet. Woven ties tend to be a little thicker which give you a nice knot. Plus woven ties don't have three thousand different things going on on the tie. They are simple and elegant. This is probably the number one mistake I have seen on guys.

3. Dress shirts, in my opinion must be white. This is a professional interview, white is the standard. I may be a little conservative here, but nothing looks better than a crisp white shirt. Please, please don't pull the Regis look with a matching tie and shirt. That is absolutely horrible for interviews. Try and find a shirt with a nice collar. Avoid the button down or tab collars. That is old, old school. Plus don't buy those shirts that you don't have to iron but instead can wear them straight from the drier. Looks cheap.

4. Belts, just keep it simple and make sure the buckle doesn't look like you just one a rodeo championship. No braided belts. No belts where the tongue of it is so long that it hangs down by your crotch. If you are wearing a black or charcoal suit then buy a black belt and shoes. Blue suits can be worn with black or brown, though I prefer brown. BELTS MUST MATCH THE COLOR OF YOUR SHOES.

5. Shoes, same rules apply as did for the belt. I prefer lace ups over loafers, just make sure and keep it simple. Kenneth Cole and Banana Republic have some very modern yet proffesional shoes. Go there for ideas if you can't afford them.

6. Lastly socks. YOUR SOCKS ARE SUPPOSED TO MATCH YOUR PANTS, not your shirt or you tie.

I myself decided that I was going to invest the money on an a really nice outfit. It makes you feel more confident, look good and people recognize you more. If you can't afford it, go to the high dollar places for ideas, and then look somewhere else much cheaper to buy them. It can be done. Don't be the odd ball, spend the money and look good.

I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of a girl so buying a suit was not an experience I was looking forward to. Two words will solve all your problems: personal shopper! Macy's has Macy's by Appointment (which is totally FREE). You call ahead they ask you a few questions (occasion, height, eye/hair color, etc) and then when you show up they have a fitting room full of clothes. They give you an honest opinion and will run out and get different colors/sizes/styles. Found two suits and 4 shirts in less than an hour!

what if you want to go suspenders instead of a belt? (i think suspenders are way more fun) is that cool? not so i take some dumb-and-dumber look, but suspenders can look really professional, in my opinion.

Originally posted by brats800
what if you want to go suspenders instead of a belt? (i think suspenders are way more fun) is that cool? not so i take some dumb-and-dumber look, but suspenders can look really professional, in my opinion.

Yea suspenders can look really good as well. Just don't wear them and also a belt like I have seen some guys do. Also make sure they fit properly. You don't want to always be fidgiting with them. They could really disrupt the flow of an interview. And try to not get the leather braided ones. They may look cool but are in my opinion somewhat casual like the braided belt. Just my opinion though.

The dark grey suit is the way to go IMHO. It goes with everything. I would actually avoid black; it can look a little too "slick" or mafioso.

Ringworm, I know what you mean about shirts straight out of the drier, but Brooks Brothers makes a non-iron dress shirt that can be washed and dried at home and comes out looking like it just came from the cleaners. They can be pricey, but they are sooo worth it for interviews, especially since you will be traveling. They invented the modern dress shirt, too, so they know how it should be done.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that "suit ties" are woven. Woven ties do have thicker knots, but you can double tie a silk tie and get a good knot. Actually, woven and print ties alternatively go in and out of style. (with the occasional seer-sucker or square knit tie thrown in for laughs)
Woven ties are usually a bit more expensive, too.

I'd recommend avoiding the solid red tie. Sooooo many at med school interviews, so Dress For Success. Please, try something else.

Originally posted by Asclepius
The dark grey suit is the way to go IMHO. It goes with everything. I would actually avoid black; it can look a little too "slick" or mafioso.

Ringworm, I know what you mean about shirts straight out of the drier, but Brooks Brothers makes a non-iron dress shirt that can be washed and dried at home and comes out looking like it just came from the cleaners. They can be pricey, but they are sooo worth it for interviews, especially since you will be traveling. They invented the modern dress shirt, too, so they know how it should be done.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that "suit ties" are woven. Woven ties do have thicker knots, but you can double tie a silk tie and get a good knot. Actually, woven and print ties alternatively go in and out of style. (with the occasional seer-sucker or square knit tie thrown in for laughs)
Woven ties are usually a bit more expensive, too.

I may need to clarify what I ment by woven ties. Most all ties are silk wether woven or printed. The difference between woven ties and printed ties are the following:

a) Wovens generally tend to be more exspensive (as has been pointed out)
b) Generally tend to be thicker. The plus here is that a thicker tie will look more crisp and and have more substance/character if you will as you walk around. Case in point: if you are on a tour outside and the wind is blowing hard, a printed tie will be all over the place, the woven tend may sway a little but remains straight the whole time. (I know most people could care less, but I am just putting an ex. down.)
c) THE REAL DIFFERENCE is that the pattern on woven ties are simpler and the objects that appear on them aren't that big. This makes them have a dressier feel versus the big colorful printed ties that should accompany a nice sports coat or dress shirt. Printed ties are generally more casual/fun articles of clothing.

Here is a example of a printed tie: http://hansensclothing.com/detail.aspx?ID=259 (Yes there is weaving done to make this tie but the designs on it are printed on)

Here is a example of woven ties: http://www.forzieri.com/usa/deptb.a...sid=GP38KPHMTXJ79GMS36KNXHSURR7U5EUA&pagina=2 (All of these ties are woven with different colored threads to make the design. Also notice there tighter/smaller patterns.) This is what should worn be with a suit.

Now of course when it all comes down to it, it doesn't make one difference or the other. Why, because generally the person on the other side of the desk interviewing you will be in khakis and a polo and would not recognize the difference bewtween woven vs printed ties anyways. Heck your interviewer probably doesn't even own a suit. Buy what you can afford but do get others opinions. You may not be as fashionable as you think you are.