Interview costs - list of schools that cover/not cover

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monta137

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for 2013 and I am thinking about the costs associated with interviews and would want to have an updated list of schools that would assist us as far as costs are concerned. So, I found this post from 2008:

AECOM - No airfare but pays for hotel and food
Cornell - Doesn't pay for airfare, but housing and meals are taken care of
Harvard - Doesn't pay for anything (no housing or meals are included)
Hopkins - Doesn't pay for airfare, but housing and meals are taken care of
Duke – covers travel up to maybe $300 and provides a hotel (will pay more--my plane ticket there was nearly $700 due to short notice and they paid it)
Mayo - pays up to $400 airfare and hotel
MCW - pays for all expenses [perks=nalgene style water bottle, and chap stick]
MSSM - No airfare but covers hotel and food [perks = free t-shirt]
NYU - Doesn't pay for airfare, but housing and meals are taken care of
Northwestern - pays for on-site expenses (hotel & meals)
Stanford - reluctant hosting, lunch
Temple - covers nothing, free lunch
University of Alabama Birmingham - pays for all expenses (not sure on the fine details) [perks = goodie bag with t-shirt, hand sanitizer, and mug...oh my!]
UCI - nice hotel, meals
UCSD - no travel but sets you up with a student
UCSF - sets you up for housing with a current student if available and provides some (not necessarily all) meals, but no airfare
University of Cincinnati - pays for everything.
University of Colorado - will cover up to three nights hotel accommodations (room charges only) and miscellaneous travel expenses such as airport parking, shuttle service to and from Denver International Airport, etc.
University of Illinois Chicago - Pays for everything.
University of Iowa - pays for everything
University of Maryland - reimbursed for travel up to $300
University of Michigan - reimburses up to $400 for travel, and they pay for all accommodation when you get there [perks = free tote bag]
University of Minnesota - Doesn't pay for plane ticket, travel to/from the airport. Covers hotel and meals.
University of North Carolina - pays for transportation, lodging and food
University of Pennsylvania - Doesn't pay for airfare, but housing (nice hotel or host) and meals are taken care of
University of Pittsburgh - hosting and food, no airfare
University of Rochester - can stay with host, but have to make arrangements yourself
UTSW - No airfare for first interview but sets you up with host and pays for food, second interview is all expenses paid
University of Virginia – Reimbursed travel up to $300, plus lodging and meals
University of Washington - says: "Travel costs will be reimbursed at the level indicated in your application"
University of Wisconsin - Paid for EVERYTHING, including airfare, 3 nights hotel, meals there and IN TRANSIT
Vanderbilt - covers travel up to $400 and provides a hotel [perks = Weezy's famous water bottle, disclaimer: not guaranteed for all interviewees]
WashU - pays for everything
Yale - No transportation but sets you up with host and covers meals (2 lunches, 1 dinner)

Felt I should add to the loot list because we all know what these interviews are really about. ;)

If you guys have any info/update regarding this list, please post it! It would be helpful to all of us!

Members don't see this ad.

Here are a few more from this past cycle:

Most schools pay for meals now so I won't list that and most schools are willing to set you up with a student host if they don't pay for hotel.

Case Western: will pay for 1 day hotel + arrange 1 day student host, no air fare
Duke: will pay for hotel, no air fare
Penn: will pay for hotel
UCLA: will pay for hotel
Vanderbilt: will pay up to $400 for air fare, will pay for hotel
U of Wisconsin: will pay for hotel, air fare up to $300

Mugs? Hand sanitizer? Chapstick?! Those are some fairly random gifts. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
The revisit weekend gifts were even odder. WashU gave us each a cinnamon frosted cupcake in their gift bag. I enjoyed it, though!
Columbia: host with student, meals covered, but not travel
UCLA: hotel, meals covered, but not travel
Baylor: student host, meals covered, but not travel

Every school I went to covered meals and had at least student hosts including many listed above as not doing so: Harvard, Hopkins, Stanford, UCSF, UCSD.
Harvard was the only school which had one dinner with current students that was not paid for, the night before interviews. They invited us out to an "informal" dinner and "informal" was code for "not paid for by the program," only they didn't clarify until the check came. It wouldn't have changed anything; I didn't order extravagantly. I suppose it was presumptuous that I assumed that the meal was paid for, but that's what every other school did.
Hopkins paid for the meal with just my student host 'in transit'- the night before anything official began, which was nice.

University of Chicago also pays for everything on interviews, including either hotel or student host (your choice, they pay for hotel if you want it), flight, taxis, etc.

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign paid for everything, at least for their MSP (MD-PhD) interviewees. They gave us mugs and chocolate, and had a great banquet with an open bar.

Loved the interview, but feared the ten-plus-year MD-PhD students I saw. They didn't seem to get that some compromises have to be made.

In terms of genuine hospitality, Vanderbilt wins hands down.

Chicago-Pritzker paid for everything. Nicest hotel accommodations anywhere - my own room, a plush two room suite right in downtown Chicago. Oh, and one of the dinners was at their fancy faculty club. Nice stuff.