Reaching out to faculty at programs that waitlisted us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Z-Dimension

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, so now that we're officially in April, I'm starting to think about waitlist movement and eventually making a decision on a program. If we are pulled off a waitlist in early May, it feels so difficult to make a gut decision in 48 hrs on a place we've never visited and have had zero interaction with since the interview, especially compared to places we may have attended the official second look for. What is the best way to navigate this situation? Are programs usually supportive in answering questions/concerns in such a short time?

Reaching out to faculty at waitlisted programs seems to be a low cost way to address some aspects of this problem, but is it okay to do that? Will programs/faculty get annoyed that you're "wasting their time" or anything like that since we're not officially accepted? Talking to faculty may also help solidify interest if we choose to write a letter in the coming weeks. What are people's thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

imo if the faculty i'm interested in talking to find it annoying that a potential student is reaching out, that's a pretty strong indicator that my other choices might be a better "fit", but of course having questions lined up for those discussions is an expectation. doing due diligence will never be a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 user