Interview date swaps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residencycoord

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are several threads regarding date swaps among yourselves. You cannot just swap dates without involving the coordinators of the programs. I know that I would not like it if someone came to me with a swap. The coordinators are in charge of the schedules, not the applicants. A lot of time and planning go into making schedules and because you think it is just an easy one on one swap, it may not be to the program.

Members don't see this ad.

There are several threads regarding date swaps among yourselves. You cannot just swap dates without involving the coordinators of the programs. I know that I would not like it if someone came to me with a swap. The coordinators are in charge of the schedules, not the applicants. A lot of time and planning go into making schedules and because you think it is just an easy one on one swap, it may not be to the program.

Ok.

1) You need to calm down. I have been following several threads in which you have replied to people and you are very very negative. You do not own the residency application process for all of obgyn.

2) The people who have asked to switch dates are trying to find someone to switch dates with, and then would have to check to see if it would be ok with the residency coordinator, whose job it is to - coordinate people (applicants, residents, faculty) and activities (interviews, etc). I have interacted with many residency coordinators and most are very kind and willing to help applicants in order to accommodate needs and circumstances. Not all residency coordinators seem to be experiencing the kinds of stress you seem to be experiencing, so perhaps they are more capable of performing these switches.

If the switch works out, great. If it does not, then at least they tried by asking. The interview process goes both ways, and for you to presume that applicants do not have clinical demands or other interviewing obligations (as applying to residency is getting more and more competitive) is egocentric. We have spent years in school studying, memorizing, taking exams, and healing patients with our teams; hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition and exam fees, and continue to spend thousands of dollars on residency applications, airfare, and hotels to interview. We have neglected our friends and families for this pursuit; some have even suffered through divorce or the loss of loved ones they did not get to spend that extra time with because they were studying or trying to save someone else's family member in the hospital. So we beg of you: be a human. Have some humanity. This is a bi-directional process.

3) Refer to point 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok.

1) You need to calm down. I have been following several threads in which you have replied to people and you are very very negative. You do not own the residency application process for all of obgyn.

2) The people who have asked to switch dates are trying to find someone to switch dates with, and then would have to check to see if it would be ok with the residency coordinator, whose job it is to - coordinate people (applicants, residents, faculty) and activities (interviews, etc). I have interacted with many residency coordinators and most are very kind and willing to help applicants in order to accommodate needs and circumstances. Not all residency coordinators seem to be experiencing the kinds of stress you seem to be experiencing, so perhaps they are more capable of performing these switches.

If the switch works out, great. If it does not, then at least they tried by asking. The interview process goes both ways, and for you to presume that applicants do not have clinical demands or other interviewing obligations (as applying to residency is getting more and more competitive) is egocentric. We have spent years in school studying, memorizing, taking exams, and healing patients with our teams; hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition and exam fees, and continue to spend thousands of dollars on residency applications, airfare, and hotels to interview. We have neglected our friends and families for this pursuit; some have even suffered through divorce or the loss of loved ones they did not get to spend that extra time with because they were studying or trying to save someone else's family member in the hospital. So we beg of you: be a human. Have some humanity. This is a bi-directional process.

3) Refer to point 1.

You need to show some respect. I have been working with residents for over 30 years so I am experienced and I am confident in what I post. You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. Yes, coordinators will work with you if you contact them directly, not behind their backs. I don't post negative comments, I post realistic and truthful comments. There are rules to follow and you need to learn that now. Getting into a residency is serious business and the first impression you make is very important. You chose to take this path, so I really don't care nor want to listen to your whining and what you have given up. This was your decision to go through this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets keep it civil, guys. I know this is an anonymous internet forum, but lets please try to remember that there are people on the other side of the screen!

Residencycoord, no one swapping interview days is going to just show up and expect that the program is ok with it. Applicants are trying to work within their constrains and will of course clear it with the program first. I've been able to successfully do this and the program was fine with it.

I've also been following your comments, and you may post the reality at your program, but not all programs are the same. My home program coordinator has told me things very different than your posts (relative importance of elements of the application, they like to see that someone has family in the area in interest emails, and they are fine with interview swaps). I know I, and I'm sure many other applicants, appreciate your input. However we have worked (and will work) very hard, and just as you are asking for respect, we would like some from you as well. I certainly hope I match at a program that does care about what I've given up and worked so hard to achieve.

"I hope this helps for your career"

Wow. That's mean, and really hurts.

It's very difficult to find joy in this work. I wish we would all just be kinder towards each other, we'd be so much happier.

As another applicant this year, I want to apologize for the rude and sarcastic comments above. They were absolutely uncalled for, and don't represent the feelings of the vast majority of us, who appreciate your willingness to share your experience and advice even when there is disagreement.

Guys, I know this is stressful, and we've all worked very hard for a very long time to get here. But we've picked a pretty stressful field, too -- it's not going to end when we match. Let's not fixate so much on the vicissitudes of the process that we lose our humanity.

Reactions: 1 user