Interview Dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed315U

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do people first begin scheduling interviews? Are there any interviews scheduled for September and October?

I'm planning a big organization event, and I am hoping to schedule it before any (hopefully) interviews start requiring scheduling. Would it be safe to plan an event in September and October without worrying about interviews overlapping?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I had my first interview on October 2, and people who applied EDP went earlier.

I'd say mid-September should be a safe time. :)

I think most schools begin interviewing in september. My first one was mid-october. However, I have found schools to be fairly flexible about rescheduling if you have a conflict.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info.

When you are offered an interview, do you get to choose a date that would be convenient with you, or does the school say "you're invited to interview" on a specific date, or is it more of a choice of one day during a specific week?

Thanks so much.

I think this year everyone was a bit behind schedule. The earliest interview I hear of this year was mid-September but I know that in previous years some schools (esp on East coast) started interviewing in August.

Uh oh. What if you're abroad for the summer through August?

My first interview was mid-September and have had a couple each month through December. But to even get to the interviews you have to finish AMCAS and sometimes lengthy (sometimes not at all) secondaries. AMCAS and secondaries were completed from June to September for me. I would say that to get ahead in the process, it would be much more difficult if you were out of the country for the whole summer. I went on vacation to a tropical isle in mid August, but by then I had finished most of my secondaries. As most on this site will tell you, the process goes smoother if you turn everything in as early as possible. Back to your original question...you should be fine anytime in August if you do not do EDP, and September is not too busy either (you could reschedule if necessary). Good luck with the event your planning!

Thanks. I'm planning to submit AMCAS June 1 (earliest date, right?). I'm going to be doing research for senior project in England last week of July through August (5 weeks). I'll still be able to do secondaries I think because my parents could Fed Ex me the secondaries. Or, do you think this wouldn't be feasible? Should I cancel the research?

Do schools allow you to choose a date within a certain range, or do they ask you to come on a specific date?

Thank you everyone!

I wouldn't cancel the research just to get your secondaries in a couple of weeks earlier. I don't think that will make or break your acceptance. If worse comes to worse and some school does offer you an interview in August (which I have never heard of except for EDP applicants) I'm sure you could reschedule an August interview for later under the circumstances. I would just apply to plenty of schools just in case. Have fun the UK! Thats way more important than getting the applications in early...