Interview Dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phluffy024

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Third year here trying to figure out his fourth year schedule. I want to do an away rotation, but I want to avoid leaving the site for too many interviews. When were the bulk of the interviews? Also, is it frowned upon to leave an away elective to interview at other programs?

Thanks for your help! Best of luck to all those in this years match.

Members don't see this ad.

My interviews this year ranged from October to early Feb, with the bulk of them in December.

That said, unless you have no intention in matching where you do your away rotation and the PD of that program does not know anyone where you will be interviewing, I would strongly discourage taking interviews while on externship.

I think it's probably not a good idea to leave an away rotation to go to an interview.

I did 13 interviews in neuro, and 3 additional prelim year interviews. I had 2 interviews prior to Thanksgiving (one in October, and one in November). The bulk of these (7) were in the 3 weeks right after Thankgiving. The remaining four were in early January.

I don't know how much time you get for holiday break at Christmas at your school. For me, we have 3 (week before, week of, and week after). I scheduled for time off for the two weeks before and after that 3 for a total of 7 weeks, which was enough time for me to interview at all the programs.

Since this is the first year for Neurology to be part of the main match, I don't know how much it will change next year since programs are still trying to perfect their timing to their newer schedule. I suspect that had early interview periods will move them later in the season so that the bulk are in December.

I will warn, however, I had at least once scheduling difficulty because many of the programs I was interviewing with had interviews on the same day, etc.

YMMV.