Job interview with prior malpractice claim history

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammoth

Reaction score
Hi members

I was recently named in a lawsuit, which caught me in bad timing as I'd been thinking of relocation and new job.

Being this is my first lawsuit, I spent few days in depression and shock. After talking to the attorney, I felt better as I was told there is good chance it will be dismissed, as I am not the primary defendant or target.

So since I regained my calm, I am planning to talk to recruiters again, but now I am wondering how, and at what stage I should disclose the pending legal claim.

Should I bring it up at recruiting stage? or wait till the interview? Would it be wise to bring it up even before interviewer asks? Or should I disclose only once credentialing process begins? I'd like to be forthcoming with new employer but am afraid wont be able to discuss the details due to legal reason..

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Members don't see this ad.

Not neurology, but was involved in the hiring and credentialing process due to my roles on the medical staff.

The first three things to remember:

1. No one cares.
2. No one cares.
3. No one cares.

A malpractice claim is two groups of lawyers fighting with each other. In the end, it really does not involve you. Sure the claim can sound insulting, but lawyers love to write even worse things about each other.

It is very simple: Answer the questions. If they ask do you have any pending malpractice suits? Answer yes. Keep in mind that it is a near certainty that they have already been sued as well.

Do not volunteer the information, not because it is damaging, but because ..... no one cares.

The only exception to this rule is if you are averaging a dozen claims a year; in which case they will not care about the claims, but rather what is causing them.

Reactions: 2 users
Not neurology, but was involved in the hiring and credentialing process due to my roles on the medical staff.

The first three things to remember:

1. No one cares.
2. No one cares.
3. No one cares.

A malpractice claim is two groups of lawyers fighting with each other. In the end, it really does not involve you. Sure the claim can sound insulting, but lawyers love to write even worse things about each other.

It is very simple: Answer the questions. If they ask do you have any pending malpractice suits? Answer yes. Keep in mind that it is a near certainty that they have already been sued as well.

Do not volunteer the information, not because it is damaging, but because ..... no one cares.

The only exception to this rule is if you are averaging a dozen claims a year; in which case they will not care about the claims, but rather what is causing them.

I am feeling much better after reading your reply. I actually hope they ask so I can show my confidence that I got nothing to hide or did wrong. Really appreciate the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. 50% of docs have a malpractice suit at some point. As above, no one cares because it's so common. It'll probably only come up in credentialing to be honest.
2. You absolutely SHOULD NOT discuss ANYTHING about an ongoing case. Seriously, ask your lawyer about it. Anyone you talk to about the case can be deposed if the other party's attorney learns of it. And then anything you say is fair game. Your answer is "there is an ongoing claim against me that I can't discuss any further as the litigation is pending".

To reiterate - don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. 50% of docs have a malpractice suit at some point. As above, no one cares because it's so common. It'll probably only come up in credentialing to be honest.
2. You absolutely SHOULD NOT discuss ANYTHING about an ongoing case. Seriously, ask your lawyer about it. Anyone you talk to about the case can be deposed if the other party's attorney learns of it. And then anything you say is fair game. Your answer is "there is an ongoing claim against me that I can't discuss any further as the litigation is pending".

To reiterate - don't worry about it.
Thank you for kind words and advice:)

I am pretty sure it won't even come up during the interview. I have interviewed hundreds of physicians and I have never asked. How you fit in a group is more important... work ethic, experience, etc...if they ask, let them know and move on.

It will come up during credentialing however.

good luck

Reactions: 1 user