Interview Defferal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LWB21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to receive multiple interviews but my finances are getting super tight. Is there anyway I can defer interviews to save money? I realize it is rude to ask a University who is interested in you to wait but I just don't think I can afford the flight since there interview invitation came 3 weeks before the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

ummmmm....

If I was in your shoes, I'd prioritize and schedule a couple of the ones I wanted to go to. I'd sell everything that I own today. I'd put ads on craigslist of all the side jobs I can do for people. To get to the interview, I would hitch hike. Go to truckers stations and ask for rides saying you can't pay to get there but you will pay it forward in the future. I guarantee you can get someone to help you out and get there in a couple days. Peanut butter has a very high calorie/cost ratio so that should serve you well. Bring lots of blankets and sleep under a bridge. Wash your face and hair in a mcdonalds bathroom sink. Put on your suit and you're good to go. I literally think you could do each trip for as little as $15.

I really would do all of that IF I had to.

Most people aren't willing to do all this and that's fine but bottom line is if you wanted to go to some interviews, you could. You could call them and ask to push it back if you want to take the risk (probably very low risk), but why? Just make it happen.

Reactions: 1 users
I am fortunate enough to receive multiple interviews but my finances are getting super tight. Is there anyway I can defer interviews to save money? I realize it is rude to ask a University who is interested in you to wait but I just don't think I can afford the flight since there interview invitation came 3 weeks before the interview.
I'm not an advocate of debt, but it's times like these that credit cards are a blessing.