Interview Do Not's: Any stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
donkeywhisperer said:
Oh I just remembered this one. For you girls, don't wear a shirt that's way super low cut. This girl at my Temple interview kept leaning over everytime she talked in the group interview, and I just kept thinking wow that poor guy's gotta try to pay attention to what she's saying through the show.
That's why girls have it made. They own 50% of the money and 100% of the cooter....and that's all you need in this world.

Members don't see this ad.

vandy_yankee said:
it is not a bad idea for parents to drop off their kids for their interviews. especially if it's a girl interviewing at a neighborhood that's relative shady. i wish someone had dropped me off/picked me up at my temple interview last year--now THAT was a scary neighborhood. i was expecting to get mugged when i was walking back to the train. philly's my hometown, but that is just a bad part of town.

Should i bring a bullet proof vest to my Temply interview??? What do you think my interviewers would think, that i definitely came prepared?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:rolleyes:
Temple isn't that bad!

Hey toofache32, when did you interview at Temple?

Members don't see this ad :)
1992Corolla said:
oh woops, donkeywhisperer....that ones for you.

It was on Nov 2nd. I really like the place, the students were all really friendly. One student even came stopped talking to her friends and walked up to me and asked me how everything went after the interview. She then proceeded to tell me about the area where she lives and some of the cool things about living in Philly and why she chose Temple. I can't remember her name, but she was a really pretty short girl with long brown hair. Brian was also really cool. I was nervous at first, but he puts everyone at ease pretty quick. Any way that's probably way more than you wanted to here.

Bungipug said:
Should i bring a bullet proof vest to my Temply interview??? What do you think my interviewers would think, that i definitely came prepared?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

well maybe i made it sound worse than it really is :laugh:

i just happened to interview right before thanksgivings, so the area was pretty dead (few students and few businesses). i think it was mainly the lack of people that just made it seem sketchy. i also should've taken a cab instead of saving and taking the subway--it seems like most of the GUYS i've talked to took cabs, while i braved it out and found my way back to the train (although i do remember the subway stop being pretty close). but if it had just been a busier street, instead of a dead street with a few homeless people, i wouldn't have thought anything of it.

vandy_yankee said:
well maybe i made it sound worse than it really is :laugh:

i just happened to interview right before thanksgivings, so the area was pretty dead (few students and few businesses). i think it was mainly the lack of people that just made it seem sketchy. i also should've taken a cab instead of saving and taking the subway--it seems like most of the GUYS i've talked to took cabs, while i braved it out and found my way back to the train (although i do remember the subway stop being pretty close). but if it had just been a busier street, instead of a dead street with a few homeless people, i wouldn't have thought anything of it.

I could see how the empty street would creep you out. That's kinda crazy cause broad seems like a heavily trafficed street, but maybe it was just because it was thanksgiving like you said. It was way busy when I was there because of the public transit being down. Oh and the subway is close, it's just across the street.

vandy_yankee said:
1. do NOT wear new shoes. they may be purty and shiny, but chcnces are, you'll be walking a lot.

2. do NOT bring your mom/dad along. i kid you not, some guy actually brought his dad along with him to the interview--at first, all of us thought he was just another person also interviewing (hey, there are some older ppl still applying) but it was soon revealed that the dad was just there to....be at the interview with his son. he actually stayed there with his son the entire time, i think the only time when he left was when his son was actually interviewing. cut the umbilical cord already, are you gonna bring daddy to school too?

Some schools invite you to bring your parents/spouses/intended spouses to the interview if you'd like. It just helps you get another perspective of the school from someone important in your life...

Here's an interview do not: Don't be one of those candidates who, when sitting at the conference table with other interviewees spouts off about how smart and qualified they are in a condescending tone. Be cool with one another and try to ease the anxiety of some of your future colleagues. Intimidation is easy to see through, sophomorish and unprofessional. Try to build eachother up, so that when everybody goes into their interviews they can be more calm and confident. Besides, the interview is more a test of personality compatibility than numerical stats so don't prove to everyone that you really are a hyper-competitive jerk.

Do not: Hijack the school's recruitment presentation with too many questions to the point where students and faculty members are asking themselves, "Is this guy just socially out to lunch or what?"

and Please, for the sanity of everybody else in the room, DO NOT ask questions already answered by the presenter. In other words: pay attention.

Do not be negative at all if you can help it. Even if you are explaining to your interviewer how you come from completely disenfranchised origins you can make it positive by expressing your gratitude for your opportunities and hope for more. Just try to turn all of your lemons into lemonade. Also, try to get the professor going on his or her favorite topic if you can. This is great especially if your interests coincide. Afterall, the way your interviewer FEELS about you will have a greater impact on his or her report to the adcom than the details of what you actually said.

Ok, so I have mixed feelings about bringing family or friends and feel that it can be entirely appropriate or inappropriate for certain situations, but.....

if you bring your mom, please make sure her cell phone is turned off!!!! Also, please make sure she looks as professional as the other candidates; she should be showing the same respect that the others have to go through.

It wasn't REALLY bad, but it's just something to keep in mind, especially since the parent may not think of it since they usually just come on the tour.

Also, don't be afraid to eat lunch!! You'll need energy for the rest of the afternoon, especially if that's when your tour is. They expect you to eat, so just swallow the loss of dignity (no pun intended ;)) of having some crumbs on your mouth while you talk and stuff your face!

I'mFillingFine said:
...if you bring your mom, please make sure her cell phone is turned off!!!! Also, please make sure she looks as professional as the other candidates...
...unless she's a hot MILF.

toofache32 said:
...unless she's a hot MILF.
Thank you for posting your perversions!

I'mFillingFine said:
Ok, so I have mixed feelings about bringing family or friends and feel that it can be entirely appropriate or inappropriate for certain situations, but.....

if you bring your mom, please make sure her cell phone is turned off!!!! Also, please make sure she looks as professional as the other candidates; she should be showing the same respect that the others have to go through.

It wasn't REALLY bad, but it's just something to keep in mind, especially since the parent may not think of it since they usually just come on the tour.

Also, don't be afraid to eat lunch!! You'll need energy for the rest of the afternoon, especially if that's when your tour is. They expect you to eat, so just swallow the loss of dignity (no pun intended ;)) of having some crumbs on your mouth while you talk and stuff your face!

Yeah this happened when a candidates mother sat in on a presentation and had her cell phone go off. It was a very embarrassing moment for the applicant. It was very clear that the dean was very annoyed by the incidence.

turn your cell phones OFF and not just to vibrate cause when it vibrates, it can still be heard and is annoying. This one person had her purse on the table while a faculty member was talking to the interviewing group... and it was very obvious her phone was vibrating against something in her bag and she just tried to ignore it~

LadyxJC said:
... and it was very obvious her phone was vibrating against something in her bag and she just tried to ignore it~
Or maybe she ignored it because it wasn't a phone. :eek:

toofache32 said:
Or maybe she ignored it because it wasn't a phone. :eek:

LOL! :D

I have seen those special "vibrating pens" at sex shops that are supposed to be used for meetings. Or....that is...friends have TOLD me they saw them there! yeah! :p

I'mFillingFine said:
LOL! :D

I have seen those special "vibrating pens" at sex shops that are supposed to be used for meetings. Or....that is...friends have TOLD me they saw them there! yeah! :p

predents are gross

I'mFillingFine said:

I was at an interview with my wife when the financial aid lady suddenly stops her presentation and says, "You two are sure sitting close together. And you just met today? Wow, that's great!"

Apparently it really threw her because she just assumed my wife was another applicant for the school.