Interview Do Not's: Any stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eliam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good grief! I have been to a couple of interviews, and I've already seen a handful of do not's!

Do not fall asleep, seriously! I saw an interviewee in an interview falling asleep :sleep: during two of the presentations , one by someone important in the review process.
I mean, this is an interview, if you cannot stay awake in the darn interview you don't deserve to get into the dental school. It's your one day to impress.

Do not (and this would be for the ladies, too) come in dressed in all white. :thumbdown:This is not Miami Vice! And, you aren't a dentist yet! If you want to know how to dress, watch a board meeting on the Apprentice. Black or gray, for your own sakes!

Also, one interviewee mentioned to someone important on the interview how he chose a school based on a flip of a coin. Another guy mentioned how he majored in "Portuguese and sort of fell into dentistry." This does not show or demonstrate that you have good solid decision-making skills. It shows that you allow the winds to decide your future, and the impression that will make on an interviewer is that perhaps the winds will blow you away from Dentistry, so this makes you a shaky choice for their institution.

And, finally: drop the sophmoric cockiness. For those of you that are , as one interviewee put it, "unsure whether they'll get in". But at the same time, overcompensating and pretending in front of the important people who help make the decisions. They can see right through that. If you feel unsure or nervous , that's ok. I felt it everytime, and everyone else in that room did too. Just be yourself. That's what they want to see. When you get an interview, they are looking for reasons to take you in, not to drop you. But, they will drop a show-off or a facade when they smell them.:cool:

Interviews: UCONN, COLUMBIA, UPENN, BU, UoP.

Members don't see this ad.

eliam said:
Good grief! I have been to a couple of interviews, and I've already seen a handful of do not's!

Do not fall asleep, seriously! I saw an interviewee in a Cali interview falling asleep :sleep: during two of the presentations , one by someone important in the review process.
I mean, this is an interview, if you cannot stay awake in the darn interview you don't deserve to get into the dental school. It's your one day to impress.

Do not (and this would be for the ladies, too) come in dressed in all white. :thumbdown:This is not Miami Vice! And, you aren't a dentist yet! If you want to know how to dress, watch a board meeting on the Apprentice. Black or gray, for your own sakes!

Also, one interviewee mentioned to someone important on the interview how he chose a school based on a flip of a coin. Another guy mentioned how he majored in "Portuguese and sort of fell into dentistry." This does not show or demonstrate that you have good solid decision-making skills. It shows that you allow the winds to decide your future, and the impression that will make on an interviewer is that perhaps the winds will blow you away from Dentistry, so this makes you a shaky choice for their institution.

And, finally: drop the sophmoric cockiness. For those of you that are , as one interviewee put it, "unsure whether they'll get in". But at the same time, overcompensating and pretending in front of the important people who help make the decisions. They can see right through that. If you feel unsure or nervous , that's ok. I felt it everytime, and everyone else in that room did too. Just be yourself. That's what they want to see. When you get an interview, they are looking for reasons to take you in, not to drop you. But, they will drop a show-off or a facade when they smell them.:cool:

Interviews: UCONN, COLUMBIA, UPENN, UoP, BU.

I asked one of the guys at arizona, "Are you being serious?", when he asked me about some emperor in some country, to which he replied "This is disappointing . . ."

Needless to say I didn't get in nor did I do any research on what its like to interview at arizona

this is a great thread, especially for those with upcoming interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
eliam said:

Do not fall asleep, seriously! I saw an interviewee in a Cali interview falling asleep :sleep: during two of the presentations , one by someone important in the review process.

Man, are you talking about me??? :laugh: :D Just kidding.

It's generally a bad thing if you have to answer "well she said she was 18....and she sure was willing!"

eliam said:

How about crying? How does it look if one were to "tear up considerably"? I have heard (though it was through two people) that a girl started crying at her interview because she just loved dentsitry so much. I know we are all very tired, and very stressed, and at this point crying is not too far off for most of us when we begin talking about this subject, but in the interview? I don't know, it seems a little unstable to me...any thoughts?

Just because you like the female from the yeah yeah yeahs doesn't mean you should come into an interview with her hair cut. Especially if youre a guy. These adcoms are very traditional. They will frown upon not being able to see your eyes!

Also, don't say "dude." For example: "Dude, I am soooo (insert dental school name here) material."

Don't fart and not claim it especially when there are only five of you in a room for the group interview at Temple. Then again it might have been the interviewer, if so that guys got one hell of a poker face.

Here's another one for AZ. Don't even think about asking them what kind of students they are looking for at their school. They won't tell you and you've basically ended the interview if you ask that.

If people ask you why you want to be a dentist, don't say MONEY! You might be in it for the money, but you don't have to tell the adcoms that. :p

beannaithe said:
If people ask you why you want to be a dentist, don't say MONEY! You might be in it for the money, but you don't have to tell the adcoms that. :p

Same goes for sex. Sex and money are big no no's for reasons why you want to be a dentist.

Along the same lines, don't say that you want a career that will allow you to be an accomplished 40-year-old doctor with a 20 year-old-hottie for a wife that you can bag every afternoon when you get home at 3:00 pm.

beannaithe said:

Dr. McManus talked about this at my Columbia interview... he said that everyone said they want to be a dentist because they want to help people or they want to work with their hands... nobody said they want to be a dentist for the money. However, he said it's ok to want to make a lot of money, but you have to realize that the money is a means of helping other people as well and should be used as such. Hm... it sounded a lot better when he said it, but that's the gist of it..

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP: You wern't at UOP on Nov 3rd, were you? One guy fell asleep and I'm almost sure he said he was there on a coin toss! If he wasn't tha coin toss guy, someone else was because I was there!

That's pretty unbeleivable, and if it is true, you don't admit it!

donkeywhisperer said:
Same goes for sex. Sex and money are big no no's for reasons why you want to be a dentist.

Holy crap...girls think dentists are attractive...Yessssssssssss...freakin awesome.... :thumbup:

donkeywhisperer said:
Don't fart and not claim it especially when there are only five of you in a room for the group interview at Temple. Then again it might have been the interviewer, if so that guys got one hell of a poker face.
rofl... gotta throw some toilet humor in here. How about, dont take any "potty breaks" during your interview either.

eapleitez said:
To the OP: You wern't at UOP on Nov 3rd, were you? One guy fell asleep and I'm almost sure he said he was there on a coin toss! If he wasn't tha coin toss guy, someone else was because I was there!

I was there at the UOP interview and there was definitely someone sleeping during the UOP interview. They say coin toss also. That was definitely a wrong move. Oh well...may be it was not there top choice and they didn't care :idea:

1. do NOT wear new shoes. they may be purty and shiny, but chcnces are, you'll be walking a lot.

2. do NOT bring your mom/dad along. i kid you not, some guy actually brought his dad along with him to the interview--at first, all of us thought he was just another person also interviewing (hey, there are some older ppl still applying) but it was soon revealed that the dad was just there to....be at the interview with his son. he actually stayed there with his son the entire time, i think the only time when he left was when his son was actually interviewing. cut the umbilical cord already, are you gonna bring daddy to school too?

Don't bring one of the free pens you picked up at your last interview to your next one, and then tell the admissions organizer that their school was the only interview you chose to attend. Saw this at VCU ... I don't get why this process turns so many people into such desperate liars.

vandy_yankee said:
1. do NOT wear new shoes. they may be purty and shiny, but chcnces are, you'll be walking a lot.

2. do NOT bring your mom/dad along. i kid you not, some guy actually brought his dad along with him to the interview--at first, all of us thought he was just another person also interviewing (hey, there are some older ppl still applying) but it was soon revealed that the dad was just there to....be at the interview with his son. he actually stayed there with his son the entire time, i think the only time when he left was when his son was actually interviewing. cut the umbilical cord already, are you gonna bring daddy to school too?

Yeah, there was a mom (worse than a dad, in my opinion) with one of the students during one of my interviews. Why, why, why would you even consider bringing a parent???

:laugh: My dad came with me to the interview at UPENN...when it was revealed that hardly anyone else brought their parents along, I politely shoed him out and he just strolled around philly all day by himself...haha

UMDNJ invites people to bring their parents along. I took my dad and it was nice for him to learn about what dental school is like since he'll be footing part of the bill. :p

To the interview a lot of people brought their dads..and one person brought his brother and he was like 30...that was weird. :rolleyes:

beannaithe said:
UMDNJ invites people to bring their parents along. I took my dad and it was nice for him to learn about what dental school is like since he'll be footing part of the bill. :p

To the interview a lot of people brought their dads..and one person brought his brother and he was like 30...that was weird. :rolleyes:

UMDNJ is a great school. I especially liked UMDNJ's super-friendly faculty. I also don't see anything wrong with bringing a family member.

dat_student said:
I also don't see anything wrong with bringing a family member.

unless if the school specificly stated/encouraged bringing along a family member, it just looks bad. i mean, c'mon, you're supposed to be an adult, and you're still bringing daddy/mommy along? this is a formal interview--would you ever think of bringing along your parent to a job interview? you think you would ever get that job? or what if you decide to do residencies later, do you think you'll bring your parent then too?

bringing along a parent will not bring out the best in you. if i was an interviewer i would not think "aww, what a tight, loving family they have" and instead think that you don't know how to make decisions yourself. i would much rather pick the applicant who was able enough to figure out everything for themselves: someone who has enough balls to fly in, book a hotel and stay in a new city and go to the interview by themselves. because when you do get in, you're there at school by yourself. it's supposed to be YOUR interview and YOUR moment to shine--and bringing along a parent will only be a (bad) distraction.

vandy_yankee said:
unless if the school specificly stated/encouraged bringing along a family member, it just looks bad. i mean, c'mon, you're supposed to be an adult, and you're still bringing daddy/mommy along? this is a formal interview--would you ever think of bringing along your parent to a job interview? you think you would ever get that job? or what if you decide to do residencies later, do you think you'll bring your parent then too?

bringing along a parent will not bring out the best in you. if i was an interviewer i would not think "aww, what a tight, loving family they have" and instead think that you don't know how to make decisions yourself. i would much rather pick the applicant who was able enough to figure out everything for themselves: someone who has enough balls to fly in, book a hotel and stay in a new city and go to the interview by themselves. because when you do get in, you're there at school by yourself. it's supposed to be YOUR interview and YOUR moment to shine--and bringing along a parent will only be a (bad) distraction.

oh oh..I didn't know that. Good point. I brought a family member to every interview. ouch! I should apply to more schools.

I dont think many ppl might get into this position, but here goes:

Do not fail to look your interviewer straight in the eyes and keep a smile on as you are being constantly grilled, and spoken to in a quasi-condescending manner. There is a possibility that they want to see how you respond under stress. It is just what my experience at a specific school has taught me. Take it for what it is worth i guess.

Please bring a pen (and not one from another school as mentioned!). At just about every interview I've attended at least one person does not have a pen and has to ask for one. How embarrassing would that be to ask for a pen? You should treat your dental interview the same as a professional job interview.

plazaday said:
ONE family member? ha! i plan on bringing an entire coalition of pro-plazaday'ers.

jk :D

I was going to bring an entire coalition for my Columbia interview but apparently that strategy is not recommended. How is the weather in NYC? My Columbia interview is coming up (next few days). I also love Columbiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Weather here has been unusually warm, mid 60s but i hear it may go down toward the end of the week. By the way, i did see some people bring family members to the Columbia interview. I didn't notice if it was frowned upon. Actually it was my first interview and after seeing that it was done, i decided to bring someone along with me for my next interview. I dont see anything wrong with bringing someone along, especially if the school you choose will directly affect that person's life in one way or another.

Don't take off a suit jacket at an interview if you are wearing a low-cut tank top underneath.

Especially if you're a guy. ;)

Slash said:
Along the same lines, don't say that you want a career that will allow you to be an accomplished 40-year-old doctor with a 20 year-old-hottie for a wife that you can bag every afternoon when you get home at 3:00 pm.

But seriously, if you say this when I'm interviewing you, you're getting a high five and then we're hitting up the Silver Reign.

jeanniebluebird said:
Weather here has been unusually warm, mid 60s but i hear it may go down toward the end of the week. By the way, i did see some people bring family members to the Columbia interview. I didn't notice if it was frowned upon. Actually it was my first interview and after seeing that it was done, i decided to bring someone along with me for my next interviews. I dont see anything wrong with bringing someone along, especially if the school you choose will directly affect that person's life in one way or another.

to bring along a spouse is one thing; what you do/where you go will directly influence their life. but to bring along a parent? to bring a parent insinuates that you are still somewhat under their control, you can't really make your decision, and i'd be left wondering if this dentistry is really something you want or rather something your parents want for you. yes, it could also mean that you are just tight with your family, lots of family love, blahblah, but CUT THE UMBILICAL CORD already. the schools are looking for people who are self-sufficient, not for people who need their parent to take each step.

again, what you wouldn't do at a job interview, don't do at a school interview. you think you'll get the job if you bring your mommy/daddy along?

and just to clarify, by "bringing someone along," i mean that person actually stays with the interview group the entire time (not a drop off in the morning, meet up with you later deal--but rather a "i'll sit with the entire group, eat breakfast/lunch and listen to all the talks"). usually, only a certain number of seats are available, and i actually think it's a bit rude to bring along unannounced people when there might not be enough seats for everyone (when the other people definitely do deserve the seats, as they are being interviewed).

vandy_yankee said:
again, what you wouldn't do at a job interview, don't do at a school interview. you think you'll get the job if you bring your mommy/daddy along?

I've seen people bringing family members to job interviews.

i guess theres truth in what you said about bringing parents.

I went to the UConn interview when I applied to Dental Schools 5 yrs ago. That was a rough experience.

Demeter said:
I went to the UConn interview when I applied to Dental Schools 5 yrs ago. That was a rough experience.

why was it a rough experience?

jeanniebluebird said:
Weather here has been unusually warm, mid 60s but i hear it may go down toward the end of the week. By the way, i did see some people bring family members to the Columbia interview. I didn't notice if it was frowned upon. Actually it was my first interview and after seeing that it was done, i decided to bring someone along with me for my next interviews. I dont see anything wrong with bringing someone along, especially if the school you choose will directly affect that person's life in one way or another.

Really? That's surprising b/c Columbia's interview invite letter specifically states that they cannot accommodate guests...

I brought my wife with me to my AZ interview and my UNLV interview and I'd have to say that I was dollars ahead of the rest of the guys. It didn't hurt that she was outgoing and hot either. The adcoms loved her and actually asked her a few questions also. Needless to say, no rejection letters and it's been over two months.

dat_student said:
I've seen people bringing family members to job interviews.

So have I. I think it's totally appropriate for a parent or guardian to come with you to interviews for jobs, dental schools, scholarships, or whatever. After all they brought you into this world. I was sure glad my mom was there to help me answer some of the tougher interview questions.
When I proposed to my wife I was certainly glad my mom was there to help me convince my girl friend that it was the right thing. Plus I got a little nervous and had some diarrhea right before I proposed. Who would have been there to wipe for me if my mommy didn't come. Luckily all I needed was some breast milk and I calmed right down.
This always calms me down actually, if you see a 220 lb guy at your next interview sucking on his mama's teat, well you'll know it's me the donkeywhisperer. :D

donkeywhisperer said:
So have I. I think it's totally appropriate for a parent or guardian to come with you to interviews for jobs, dental schools, scholarships, or whatever. After all they brought you into this world. I was sure glad my mom was there to help me answer some of the tougher interview questions.
When I proposed to my wife I was certainly glad my mom was there to help me convince my girl friend that it was the right thing. Plus I got a little nervous and had some diarrhea right before I proposed. Who would have been there to wipe for me if my mommy didn't come. Luckily all I needed was some breast milk and I calmed right down.
This always calms me down actually, if you see a 220 lb guy at your next interview sucking on his mama's teat, well you'll know it's me the donkeywhisperer. :D

Man, for a moment there I thought you were serious

donkeywhisperer said:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I was eating breakfast when I read this and I almost had cereal milk come out of my nose. This was the funniest post EVERRRRRRRRRRR!

eapleitez said:

Yes. Keep that stuff to yourself, don't admit the coin toss. Or delve in deeper like so: "yea, the two schools i was looking into were both equally wonderful institutions. They both had really great things to offer, their programs were very similar and just as competitive, so when it came down to it.... i had to flip a coin to decide, because ...." ... no , i take it back. Don't ever mention a coin-toss as the reason why you chose a school. Seriously, It wasn't even me, and I still wanted to shrink and hide underneath the table after I heard that. LOL. The interviewer was like : "Flat out? a Coin toss? Wow." ;-) he was amazed and dazzled. But, I don't know if this makes or breaks the candidate. The sleeping interviewee beware, though.

Here's another: how about shoes for the interview instead of open-toed? :idea: It's just a tad bid too casual to not wear actual dress shoes.

donkeywhisperer said:
This always calms me down actually, if you see a 220 lb guy at your next interview sucking on his mama's teat[sp], well you'll know it's me the donkeywhisperer. :D

awesome post but I usually bring my dad or big brother. ;)

dat_student said:
awesome post but I usually bring my dad or big brother. ;)

mom, dad, big brother, same thing. it's a formal interview, not open house night at your elementary school. you should only be bringing yourself.

and what sort of formal job interviews have you seen that allow family members to come? i'm not talking about interviewing for one of dad's cronies (of course you'll bring dad then) but a FORMAL job interview. keep in mind that when they do review that week's applications, there will be three piles: accept, reject, and then waitlist for all those inbetween. you don't want to stand out in a negative way.

vandy_yankee said:
mom, dad, big brother, same thing. it's a formal interview, not open house night at your elementary school. you should only be bringing yourself.

and what sort of formal job interviews have you seen that allow family members to come? i'm not talking about interviewing for one of dad's cronies (of course you'll bring dad then) but a FORMAL job interview. keep in mind that when they do review that week's applications, there will be three piles: accept, reject, and then waitlist for all those inbetween. you don't want to stand out in a negative way.

Come on. I can't ask my dad or big brother to wander around in Harlem. I don't think it matters. Please, don't convince me otherwise.

If you are going to bring someone to Columbia i would suggest calling the admissions office first,especially after confirming what Gurl21 said. My letter says,
"Unfortunately, due to space limitations, we are unable to accomodate your guests. If you have a unique situation, please notify our office in advance to make arrangements."

jeanniebluebird said:
If you are going to bring someone to Columbia i would suggest calling the admissions office first,especially after confirming what Gurl21 said. My letter says,
"Unfortunately, due to space limitations, we are unable to accomodate your guests. If you have a unique situation, please notify our office in advance to make arrangements."

Thanks so much. My situation is unique. I need to come with a family member. I'll call them ASAP.