Interview dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zgoettsc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have an interview coming up in a few weeks and need some advice on which suit to wear. I have two options. One is a black suit that I was going to wear with a silver dress shirt and a red tie. The other option is a light grey suit with a purple/pinkish shirt and a purple paisley tie. Both combinations look great, but I am torn as to whether or not a grey suit is appropriate for an important interview? I would rather wear the grey one is what I am trying to say, because it is a little bit more fashionable and I like the color. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I have an interview coming up in a few weeks and need some advice on which suit to wear. I have two options. One is a black suit that I was going to wear with a silver dress shirt and a red tie. The other option is a light grey suit with a purple/pinkish shirt and a purple paisley tie. Both combinations look great, but I am torn as to whether or not a grey suit is appropriate for an important interview? I would rather wear the grey one is what I am trying to say, because it is a little bit more fashionable and I like the color. What are your thoughts?

Both of them are good. My advice is to wear what you feel comfortable the most.
You have many other things to worry about. Dont let the suit be one of them. Wear things that you are most comfortable with. I have been to 3 interviews and it seems to me that the faculties dont really care about what you wear as long as its neat.

Last edited:
At the interviews I've been to so far, ALL of the guys have been wearing black/dark grey suits. It gets a little redundant. I think a light grey suit would make you stand out a bit more. Go with that one!

Like wizi said, I don't think the interviewers care too much about which suit you wear. If you think it looks good, chances are it does, given your taste isn't too far out there :p

Members don't see this ad :)

If you're going for fashionable, then do not wear a silver dress shirt and a red tie. Chrome went out like 10 years ago and is completely tacky now.

Wear whatever looks good. Wearing a typical black suit is boring and its way out of style. I wore a cool blue shirt, black vest, blue and black striped tie, and black pants, shoes, and belt at all of my interviews with NO suit jacket. I didn't even bother getting a suit because I think they are boring for the most part. Instead, I decided that I wanted to look good and professional, so I went to Express and bought my entire outfit there for around $225 (minus the shoes). I got good comments from faculty and fellow students at every interview I went to (remember: with NO jacket) and guess what: I got in everywhere I went as well. So it seems that your interview attire wont hold you back. In fact, it will probably give you a leg up!!!

I would opt for the grey suit, and as someone previously mentioned, the silver dress shirt should probably be nixed regardless of the suit you wear it with.

As long as its not neon pink :D I wore a light beige color... now that I think about it, I was the only one wearing a non-dark color and it was totally appropriate. In one of the interviews I went to, some girls didn't wear a suit and I thought it was a little underdressed. :) Have fun!

My vote: wear the one you want... the one you are leaning towards... the one you know you look the best in :) both sound appropriate to me

If you're going to Michigan down wear the silver and red:laugh: just sayin

grey suit? really? what are we the middle aged men from the 80s lol who wears grey suits anymore (yes there are some fashionable exceptions, but grey is not the "in" color) I suggest black or navy blue or anything that looks modern. Dont wear your pops' suit.

grey suit? really? what are we the middle aged men from the 80s lol who wears grey suits anymore (yes there are some fashionable exceptions, but grey is not the "in" color) I suggest black or navy blue or anything that looks modern. Dont wear your pops' suit.

At almost all my interviews, the faculty, staff, or admissions office secretaries all commented or joked about the sea of dark suits. They said things like "where's the funeral", "Nice, a gray suit, you get extra points", or "I like that gray suit". I think after seeing thousands of interviewees all dressed in the same dark suit, they don't mind someone dressing in a lighter grey suit. As long as you look professional, it's not going to determine if you get into school or not.

I agree with the above comment, I have heard a few staff from the schools remark about all the black suits. A grey suit will definitely help you stand out and is considered 100% conservative and appropriate for the event.

At almost all my interviews, the faculty, staff, or admissions office secretaries all commented or joked about the sea of dark suits. They said things like "where's the funeral", "Nice, a gray suit, you get extra points", or "I like that gray suit". I think after seeing thousands of interviewees all dressed in the same dark suit, they don't mind someone dressing in a lighter grey suit. As long as you look professional, it's not going to determine if you get into school or not.

grey looks cheap for the most part (in the corporate world, the only grey suit worn is over $500) i'm going with a striped navy blue, very classy (night type of suit) and the most important part is that it fits right. But you have to work with you have.

The fit is probably more important than the color, a suit that your fat uncle wears is probably gonna look really bad on interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above comment, I have heard a few staff from the schools remark about all the black suits. A grey suit will definitely help you stand out and is considered 100% conservative and appropriate for the event.

ive never heard of a black suit not being conservative lol. unless your suit is neon pink, its probably acceptable. just saying gray has to look right, most cheap suits have an off gray that make them look tacky. but this is style, which is a matter of opinion and not really a fact so cant really speak much about it.

I've been wearing an Armani and a Rolex to the interviews and people have asked me if my suit was from Men's Wearhouse like theirs was. So don't worry about what people assess to be a cheap look or not, they don't know what they're talking about.

Thanks everyone for the comments! I appreciate all of your opinions. GREY IT IS!

Dark grey suit I wore... received a compliment at stony and then she proceeded to fix my collar for me :love:

How about BIONIC BLUE SHIRT (with black suit)? I saw other guys wore all white shirts except me. :rolleyes:

Go with the silver shirt. It looks sharp.

At my interviews so far, most of the men wore black suits. In my younger days, I would wear a black suit to everything. It wasn't until I got older that I realized that this wasn't appropriate. In fact, I believe it shows a little immaturity on the part of the applicant. Does it matter that much? Probably not. But I think wearing a grey or blue suit is the way to go.

:thumbup:

At my interviews so far, most of the men wore black suits. In my younger days, I would wear a black suit to everything. It wasn't until I got older that I realized that this wasn't appropriate. In fact, I believe it shows a little immaturity on the part of the applicant. Does it matter that much? Probably not. But I think wearing a grey or blue suit is the way to go.

as long as you look like a security guard (jet black suit) then you're fine lol gray/grey as long as it isnt tacky. otherwise navy blue with stripes would work just fine.

I like you.

Quick question: I asked in another thread if a turquoise tie would be to flashy for an interview and a couple people said that it would be (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11624912#post11624912) and that I shouldn't wear it.

No one on this thread has said anything about a "silver dress shirt and a red tie" or "purple/pinkish shirt and a purple paisley tie" being not conservative.

Are those 2 people in the other thread right or would it be okay to wear the turquoise tie?

Last edited:
Wear whatever looks good. Wearing a typical black suit is boring and its way out of style. I wore a cool blue shirt, black vest, blue and black striped tie, and black pants, shoes, and belt at all of my interviews with NO suit jacket. I didn't even bother getting a suit because I think they are boring for the most part. Instead, I decided that I wanted to look good and professional, so I went to Express and bought my entire outfit there for around $225 (minus the shoes). I got good comments from faculty and fellow students at every interview I went to (remember: with NO jacket) and guess what: I got in everywhere I went as well. So it seems that your interview attire wont hold you back. In fact, it will probably give you a leg up!!!

I'm surprised you had the guts to go without a suit jacket. I would like to wear what you describe because I feel like it that looks better than a typical suit for me at least. However, I don't think I would ever risk going without a jacket lol. I went the conservative route just in case I interviewed at a school with a conservative faculty. Glad to hear it worked for you and you got into all your schools.

I'm surprised you had the guts to go without a suit jacket. I would like to wear what you describe because I feel like it that looks better than a typical suit for me at least. However, I don't think I would ever risk going without a jacket lol. I went the conservative route just in case I interviewed at a school with a conservative faculty. Glad to hear it worked for you and you got into all your schools.

No way bro! The jacket adds 1000 coolness points.

If you don't like the jacket and you think it looks bad then you've probably picked out a bad jacket or it doesn't fit you!

No way bro! The jacket adds 1000 coolness points.

If you don't like the jacket and you think it looks bad then you've probably picked out a bad jacket or it doesn't fit you!

Yeah your probably right. I feel like my slim fitted shirt and pants accentuates my physical features more and my jacket just ruins it. I got the jacket tailored and it fits OK but I still think it takes away my shape and overall build. Probably a bad tailor lol. The vest I had would've fit me a lot better but I didn't have the guts like killacam. Anyways, we are at the interview to get into dental school right? Not pick up girls haha.

Look fly, feel confident. Walk into every interview thinking "Damn, I'm pretty, why wouldn't they want this fine piece of eye candy here?"

Honestly, the better you look, the better you feel, the more confident you'll be in general. Wear what you want!

I think you should wear whichever one you feel comfortable and confident with, either one will be fine. That should be the least of your worries; you should be practicing how you will answer questions at the interview. Before I went to my interview, I went to an interview advisor provided by my university where we went through the interview process. He gave me advice afterwards on how to approach certain questions. I definitely used his advice when confronted with a tough question and I certainly think that helped me in getting into dental school. They are very interested in you if you are given an interview from what I heard from my interviewer/ professor after starting dental school. BE PREPARED TO ANSWER ANY QUESTION,including random questions. Good luck and congratulations on your interview.

I saw some girls wear skirts well above their knees at some of my interviews. I thought that was gutsy. Also, I saw someone wear a bow tie. I'm not sure whether the faculty at the schools cared or not though.

I saw some girls wear skirts well above their knees at some of my interviews. I thought that was gutsy. Also, I saw someone wear a bow tie. I'm not sure whether the faculty at the schools cared or not though.

Definitely saw girls with skirts above the knee (when standing)..pretty much flashing their pikachu when sitting..and in hooker heels. #notgettingin.

Definitely saw girls with skirts above the knee (when standing)..pretty much flashing their pikachu when sitting..and in hooker heels. #notgettingin.

Wow really? haha adcoms definitely say take the conservative route with heels and skirts thats not good. ya I heard from an adcom before apps started told me not to wear a black suit - thinks its monotonous with all the "penguin" looking people walking around during interview time. Not sure whether grey or navys better for guys, but I def think there are some grey suits that look very professional and clean cut - not 80s looking.

Can girls wear ties? Tyra wore one on a morning show....

At one of the schools I interviewed at, and I won't say which, the interviewer remarked to me that they had a box to check off for proper dress. They proceeded to tell me they interviewed a girl before me with a shorter skirt and they did not check that box off.

For at least one school, it matters.