Interview early or late??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Analyzethis

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have heard a few different things and I can understand both perspectives but am not sure what to do-obviously match is nothing like medschool where you want to apply asap because of rolling admissions. But if you get an invite, is it a better idea to schedule your interview as close to match as you can-late januaryish rather than nov or dec??

I have heard doing it later makes you easier to rememeber since you interviwed more recently-and for doing it earlier I cant think of why that is better but I know there are upsides-what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep the good interviews at the end, because then you will defintiely be much better prepared. I noticed myself improving with every interview. But don't schedule right before or right after holidays as most of the faculty/staff is out.

I would also really like to know anyone's opinion about when to schudule interviews as AT asked.

Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have heard a few different things and I can understand both perspectives but am not sure what to do-obviously match is nothing like medschool where you want to apply asap because of rolling admissions. But if you get an invite, is it a better idea to schedule your interview as close to match as you can-late januaryish rather than nov or dec??

I have heard doing it later makes you easier to rememeber since you interviwed more recently-and for doing it earlier I cant think of why that is better but I know there are upsides-what do you think?

I think early is better. By the end of the season everyone is burnt out and not easily impressed. Plus a lot of the higher end programs try to schedule the more competetive candidates first since they know that people are more likely to cancel later on. This means the higher-powered interviewers (those with the most clout on the selection committees) will be in-house earlier.

I heard it can go either way depending on the program and probably other variables. Also if you are an IMG you have to worry about the prematch as well. Ideally you would want to schedule ur top picks first otherwise you may take a prematch at a less than ideal place and not be able to consider your favorites.

Ya no IMG here so no prematch to worry about-makes sense about interviewing early to impress people earlier-man I know from talking to the people at residency programs-they are burned out by the end of the season forsure-that was a good point-I am so lazy I just dont want to go interview!