Interview Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opto delux

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people's recommendations on handshakes? Firm or no firm, or no handshake at all?

I am going to wearing a white dress shirt with a black diagonal striped tie...too conservative? People are suggesting red ties? Opinions?

How EARLY is EARLY to arrive to the site? I don't want to be nervous and bored at the same time being there too too early..

Thanks everyone..

Members don't see this ad.

our interview started at 9am and i showed up by 745.
but that's cause houston traffic sucks and i didn't want to risk being late.

handshakes should always be firm. not squeez-their-hand-til-it-falls-off firm, but not flimsy (im a business major. that's what they teach us at least).

everyone i saw on interview day was wearing a suit. i dont think they really care what you wear though... just not jeans..

bring a book. in case you show up early, read and relax. dont think about the interview. sitting there idle can make your mind wander and freak you out. but i'd say plan on being at least 15 min early.

its probably best to show up 15-20 minutes early. my interview was at 845, and i showed up at 830.
i dont recommend bringing a book because it'll be something annoying to carry around all day. just go in and relax, and be sure to smile!
handshakes should be not flimsy but dont crush their hands.
in my opinion, doesnt really matter what you wear, as long as its nice and professional. suit definitely looks good, but if you dont have one then dont wear a tie thats too flashy, as it is a distraction.
overall just dont worry, smile, and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
what should girls wear?
black pants and dress shirt?

I specifically bought a black suit for my interviews. I think it looks more professional. All the interviews I went to all the girls were wearing suits. Actually, I think one girl was wearing black pants and a nice button down shirt. Do anything that shows that you really care about the interview and you didn't just show up in some old thing.

what should girls wear?

I think a suit is manatory...
one girl in my group was wearing a white oxford shirt, but It wasn't the professional one, it was more like a trendy one, you could tell she didn't fit in.
Also, some girls might fight be one this, esp with the new trend of flats, but you should look at some type of heel...
I know its painful but I think it looks much better and professional than some ballet flats!!!

Eh. I think as long as you look professional that's all that matters. For one of my interviews, I wore a skirt that I stole from my mom from LITERALLY the 80s with a button down shirt (it was the 80s black & white type print skirt). Sure, most of the girls were wearing blazers (which I wore to other interviews), but honestly, it's not a big deal.

The heel thing I can't fight though. I always think heels look better... but maybe that's cause I'm little.

I think a suit is manatory...
one girl in my group was wearing a white oxford shirt, but It wasn't the professional one, it was more like a trendy one, you could tell she didn't fit in.
Also, some girls might fight be one this, esp with the new trend of flats, but you should look at some type of heel...
I know its painful but I think it looks much better and professional than some ballet flats!!!

Suits are not mandatory.

Heels are fine but don't wear anything painful, you're going to be walking around and touring and what have you. There is nothing unprofessional about flats, as long as they are actual shoes and not a flimsy, slipper-type material.

what should girls wear?
there were two girls at my interview, and neither of them wore suits. one just wore a nice sweater, and the other one wore a button down shirt. in my opinion neither looked bad, but then again there wasnt a person in a suit to compare to.

At the interview I was at last week there were five girls, all of whom were wearing a suit if I recall correctly.

As for me (a guy) I went with a gray suit, white shirt and a dark red tie.

What about girls carrying a purse? Should you just try to not carry anything or are purses generally acceptable?

What about girls carrying a purse? Should you just try to not carry anything or are purses generally acceptable?

Purses are fine! :)

Do I have to wear a suit? I would like to wear a black pin-striped fitted dress to my interview...
thoughts???

Do I have to wear a suit? I would like to wear a black pin-striped fitted dress to my interview...
thoughts???
suits arent required, but it helps you fulfill the "professional" dress attire thats required. if no suit, then definitely wear a tie at least

suits arent required, but it helps you fulfill the "professional" dress attire thats required. if no suit, then definitely wear a tie at least

Hahah, I'm pretty sure a girl wouldn't need to wear a tie :p

I think I know what kind of dress you're talking about, and those are professional and would be fine for an interview.

Hahah, I'm pretty sure a girl wouldn't need to wear a tie :p

I think I know what kind of dress you're talking about, and those are professional and would be fine for an interview.
WHOOPS
i did so not read that right.
my bad :bang:

I dont think what colour your tie should really matter. Just dress appropriately. Just follow below and you will be fine:

Guys:
- Dress shirt with Tie (suit is optional)
- Pants (no khakis)
- Dress shoes

Girls:
- Dress or Dress Pants
- Dress shirt

It's that simple. It isnt what you wear that make the man(woman), but how you speak during the interview. I dont think a red tie will save you if you answer a question with a stupid answer.