interview feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Alyssa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There aren't many responses in the ob/gyn residency interview feedback section. I'm starting to look at programs now, deciding which ones to apply to and I would love to hear what you guys thinks about them. Even if you only comment on our 2 favorite and 2 least favorite programs it would be a great help to those of use coming after you :)

Lys

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't many responses in the ob/gyn residency interview feedback section. I'm starting to look at programs now, deciding which ones to apply to and I would love to hear what you guys thinks about them. Even if you only comment on our 2 favorite and 2 least favorite programs it would be a great help to those of use coming after you :)

Lys

Agree with Miss Alyssa - would be very helpful!!

Lys

Which programs specifically are you interested in hearing about?

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone wants some information about Southeast and Texas programs I may be able to help :)

I'm most interested in the programs in the north east. There are so many different programs in that region

Some programs I am familiar with:

Bronx Lebanon-Inner city hospital in, you guessed it, the Bronx. Heavy heavy obstetrics volume. Lots of elective abortions (if that's your thing). Gyn isn't the greatest. The major OB group from the hospital recently had some malpractice issues and may have had trouble getting coverage (it was in the nytimes recently).

Overall, it seemed overly stressful and the training quality seemed whatever.

Albert Einstein in the Bronx- More academic oriented. Reasonably sized program. Offered fellowships and had decent fellowship placement. Residents worked hard but seemed upbeat. They probably have a new program director now. Their old program director was a REI guy (British) and had been PD for ~20 years but has moved on within the hospital system to a bigger leadership position. So there is some change there.

Research is playing a bigger role in the program and from what it seemed, they are actively trying to make the program more academic (focus on research etc). From some older attendings who were familiar with the program, it used to be a dump (just relaying their thoughts), but from my impression it is a solid program.

Robert Wood Johnson in NJ- Interesting program. The MFM group left en masse and the fellowship program was basically disbanded. Big loss. They had hired 1 or 2 new people and are slowly trying to rebuild the program in that regard. The REI department is ridiculously big and very busy. They were in the works of starting a fellowship.

Nice PD and chairperson. Average program overall that is actively trying to recover from their MFM losses.

Winthrop (NY program)- The chair is MFM I believe and reasonably well known. The interview day was unorganized. Residents at first seemed unhappy but seemed to warm up throughout the day. Facilities are average to below average at best. They did match someone into MFM at Hopkins from what I remember.

They are not so subtle on the fact that if you are interested you should do a second look which is really lame. Not every one has the time or money or desire for that stuff.

UT Southwestern-Program is ridiculous (in a good way). ~16,000 deliveries per year. 20+ residents per year. Huge program. All the fellowships. Gyn Onc is weaker though and they have hired a couple of fresh fellows graduates to start rebuilding.

MFM is king there. Parkland is something else to see. You will get worked insanely hard and support for fellowships can be questionable (heard from a resident and friend there) but they match people in great fellowships all the time (their reputation is a huge plus anywhere). You will be worked hard, but you will have great training from giants in the field.

University of Alabama- Another great academic program. New women and childrens hospital with amazing facilities. Program is very well known and has great reputation across the country (their faculty is usually co authors with UTSW faculty on the Williams text).

Their Gyn Onc department is one of the best/busiest in the country hands down. MFM is very strong as well there also. Residents work hard but again are very very well trained.

If anyone wants some information about Southeast and Texas programs I may be able to help :)

If you have a free moment, I'd really appreciate any thoughts on programs in the southeast. Thanks!